Should "under God" be removed from the Pledge?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny

Should "under God" be removed from the Pledge?

Postby Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny » Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Should "Under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?

Does it violate the separation of church and state? Or do you think we should keep it?

For those who bitch on about how the founding fathers put it there, blah, blah, blah, they were wise, blah... it was put there in 1954, to support Nationalism in the Cold War, against the "godless commies".

So, please, stay appropriate, stay on topic, and sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I didn't see it anyway.

And it was inspired by PLK. :) But not in the good way.

I, personally, believe it should be removed. I know my first post is a bit biased, but I honestly couldn't think of any reasons to keep it that didn't violate the separation of church and state.

As soon as anyone posts a good reason for it, however, I'll certainly add it to the first post!
andrewgibson

Postby andrewgibson » Fri May 04, 2007 11:23 pm

It should be removed. Period.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Fri May 04, 2007 11:29 pm

If they remove it, that's fine. As you correctly pointed out, it wasn't originally in there to begin with, and congress isn't supposed to support any particular religion or religious idea anyway. The Cold War is long since over, and the whole "godless commies" notion was an idiotic excuse to begin with.

If they leave it, that's fine, as long as they don't force students to say it, which they cannot legally do anyway. If students want to replace the word "God" with "Allah" or "Brahma" or "Buddha" or whatever, they should be allowed to.

I'm for simply blanking that phrase in the pledge and letting kids come up with whatever they want to fill in it. Besides, the phrase is irrelevant to the focus of the pledge, which is allegiance to the country; not to some piece of cloth or someone's imaginary friend. If kids want to fill in the blank with "my dick" I say let them. :D
plk12345

Re: Should "under God" be removed from the Pledge?

Postby plk12345 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:55 pm

it should not be removed, people have every right to ignore it as they see fit

although i really don't see why anyone would have a problem with it

Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny wrote:And it was inspired by PLK. :) But not in the good way.

:roll:

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:If they leave it, that's fine, as long as they don't force students to say it, which they cannot legally do anyway.

they can't force the students to say any of the pledge
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sat May 05, 2007 12:15 am

Bah, the entire pledge itself is a waste of time. How many of you got bored of saying it everyday? I know I did. :P

At any rate, children shouldn't have to say "under God" should they choose to. While I don't think effort should be wasted removing those words, I would accept it if the government did actually do such a thing.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:18 am

no one even says the pledge after the firs couple of days

Postby Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny » Sat May 05, 2007 12:45 am

LOL, my school doesn't even do the pledge.
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sat May 05, 2007 1:24 am

I don't say the pledge, so I do not care.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:22 am

I don't think it should be removed. It does promote religoun, but it's not like you're forced to say it. Therefore I think that it's fine that it stays in.

Postby Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny » Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 am

swellman7 wrote:I don't think it should be removed. It does promote religoun, but it's not like you're forced to say it. Therefore I think that it's fine that it stays in.

But it does show favor over one religion... well not quite one, but several. And it shows favor for religion over non-religion, which is also supposed to be a rule.

Whether it hurts or not, the government should not be able to contradict itself. It always starts with something small.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:05 am

It's just like replacing the word "States" in "United States of America" with what Zacarias Moussaoui calls "United Sodom of America" or "United Satan of America"! Heck, it's also like replacing the word "United" with "Unconscious States of America"! :cartmanlaugh: :cartmanlaugh: :cartmanlaugh: :cartmanlaugh: :cartmanlaugh:
Still the same as it ever was.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:15 am

Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny wrote:
swellman7 wrote:I don't think it should be removed. It does promote religoun, but it's not like you're forced to say it. Therefore I think that it's fine that it stays in.

But it does show favor over one religion... well not quite one, but several. And it shows favor for religion over non-religion, which is also supposed to be a rule.

Whether it hurts or not, the government should not be able to contradict itself. It always starts with something small.

it does not favor a religion

most dictionaries will define god something along these lines:

the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and
omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the
universe
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:17 am

it does not favor any one religion

most dictionaries will define god as a supernatural being, nothing more
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sat May 05, 2007 3:23 am

plk12345 wrote:it does not favor any one religion

most dictionaries will define god as a supernatural being, nothing more

Yes, you spewed that out in your last post as well.
EvanNJames

Postby EvanNJames » Sat May 05, 2007 4:15 am

I don't believe "Under God" should be removed from the pledge. This country was founded under a certain background, and if you don't believe in that religion, that's fine. It's all about choice. It's just like smoking; some people choose to do it, and others don't, and as for kids, it's up to the parents to be responsible enough to say yay or nay. :roll:
All in a Day's Work...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”