Who's watching Eurovision song contest?????

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

strumpfhose

Who's watching Eurovision song contest?????

Postby strumpfhose » Thu May 10, 2007 7:20 pm

I am, at this very moment. This takes the term "bad music" to a brand new level you didn't think even existed :cartmanlaugh: :cartmanlaugh:

Also, it's SO cool that it takes place in Helsinki, Finland this year!!! My homeland!!!

Anyone else watching? x)
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Thu May 10, 2007 7:27 pm

If this show is anything like our "American Idol" trash, then may it die a horrible, bloody death. All these sorts of shows do is promote celebrity worship, except with the added twist of selecting who will be the one that's worshiped the most. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd get it from established musicians and singers thank you very much.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu May 10, 2007 7:45 pm

O'Brien wrote:If this show is anything like our "American Idol" trash, then may it die a horrible, bloody death. All these sorts of shows do is promote celebrity worship, except with the added twist of selecting who will be the one that's worshiped the most. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd get it from established musicians and singers thank you very much.

It's NOTHING like American idol. Every country in Europe has its own American Idol-thing. This is something completely European and wonderfully horrible :cartmanlaugh: A gulty pleasure...

Just how painful is it, for all you Brits, to watch this? With all the crappy accents? Must be pretty hard....
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Thu May 10, 2007 7:48 pm

O'Brien wrote:If this show is anything like our "American Idol" trash, then may it die a horrible, bloody death. All these sorts of shows do is promote celebrity worship, except with the added twist of selecting who will be the one that's worshiped the most. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd get it from established musicians and singers thank you very much.

Actually, it's not that much like 'American Idol', or anything like that. It's basically a competition between different European countries to see who has the best musical talent [Of course, in recent years, many countries have resorted to putting forth acts that are either awaiting their big break or looking for another], and once all the contestants have performed their song, representitives from each competing country choose who they liked the most, and vote for them using a points system. The winning country doesn't receive a prize, I don't think, except the honour of hosting the following year's competition themselves [Of course, if there IS a prize of some sort, I'd like to know].

I might consider watching it, simply for Wogan's 'commentary'. >D Can someone post when it'll be on? I'm too lazy to go check.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu May 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Jay C wrote:Actually, it's not that much like 'American Idol', or anything like that. It's basically a competition between different European countries to see who has the best musical talent [Of course, in recent years, many countries have resorted to putting forth acts that are either awaiting their big break or looking for another], and once all the contestants have performed their song, representitives from each competing country choose who they liked the most, and vote for them using a points system. The winning country doesn't receive a prize, I don't think, except the honour of hosting the following year's competition themselves [Of course, if there IS a prize of some sort, I'd like to know].

I might consider watching it, simply for Wogan's 'commentary'. >D Can someone post when it'll be on? I'm too lazy to go check.

Also, it's not all serious thing. It's more or less a joke. There's transvestites and all, often. It's pretty much all about being grotesque and silly.... Of course, there are also some kind of Britney-wannabies and Opera singers and stuff. Whatever every country decides to send to present them. Finland sent a bunch of Lordi-monsters last year, and they WON. That's why the contest is held in Finland this year.
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Thu May 10, 2007 8:18 pm

strumpfhose wrote:Finland sent a bunch of Lordi-monsters last year, and they WON

I was so happy that Lordi won it, I quite like them. I never would have thought that a Metal band would have even been entered in the euro vision, let alone win it. Finland has some awsome bands.
randyhart

Postby randyhart » Thu May 10, 2007 8:31 pm

The only good band that ever entered and won were Lordi and even they got voted in because of a gimmick

How did Scooch get to Eurovision??????????? Justin Hawkins ect were much better
If you want Faith+1 go here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19823&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dont ever leave me Jesus I couldnt stand to see you go
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 pm

love*metal wrote:
strumpfhose wrote:Finland sent a bunch of Lordi-monsters last year, and they WON

I was so happy that Lordi won it, I quite like them. I never would have thought that a Metal band would have even been entered in the euro vision, let alone win it. Finland has some awsome bands.

It was quite unthinkable but then again..... Finland had absolutely NOTHING to loose! We've been kicked in the ass so badly all these years. We've sent such increadibly sucky, embarrasing acts every year and got 0 points so many times, it didn't really matter anymore. And it did the trick! We won :D
EPAF

Postby EPAF » Fri May 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Despite it INDEED taking 'bad music' to an ultimate new level......I'm still gunna watch it - even if it is politically structured in terms of the point-giving. :roll:

Like James, I just wanna listen to Wogan's commentary & see how LOW on the table the might of the United Kingdom get - maybe not Nil Pois but hopefully enough that we beat the French, that's all I'm bothered about. :lol:

Just looking on wiki, UK, France AND Luxembourg (:shock:) have all won it 5 times each whereas the Irish are top-scoreres with 7 wins. Nice for the Brits & the Irish to have a good old record in the comp......but LUXEMBOURG have won it 5 TIMES as well?! Well.............good for them. :lol:
crazyQH wrote:Ok EPAF, I'm officially granting you the title of having the best dream ever.
buttersbutters

Postby buttersbutters » Fri May 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Scooch 4tw!
randyhart

Postby randyhart » Fri May 11, 2007 9:28 pm

buttersbutters wrote:Scooch 4tw!

Scooch 4t Aids!
If you want Faith+1 go here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19823&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dont ever leave me Jesus I couldnt stand to see you go
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Sat May 12, 2007 6:38 pm

randyhart wrote:
buttersbutters wrote:Scooch 4tw!

Scooch 4t Aids!

Whilst entering the mile high club!!

Wow, I didn't know Luxembourg were so successful in this. XD
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”