Rap---your thoughts

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Grizim

Rap---your thoughts

Postby Grizim » Mon May 28, 2007 6:52 pm

I've finally began to gain respect for old school rap because some of them are talented poets.

However, I still get aggravated when people necessarily call them musicians. Most of them don't play instruments or sing, and the likes of John Lennon or Jimi Hendrix definetely deserve more recognition than Tupac.

But once again, in terms of literature instead of music, they're talented.

Your thoughts.
As enjoyable as abuse.
Elrog

Postby Elrog » Mon May 28, 2007 7:10 pm

I, for one hate most rap. Yes, some may be good but people give it way to much attention then it's worth. You don't need to be very talented to write a rap. I know because I have to do it for religion, ever tried rapping the old testement? DON'T. But the rap itself took me maybe fifteen minutes (tops) to write!
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Mon May 28, 2007 8:01 pm

I agree that it's simple for some people such as you and myself, but it's not that easy for everyone. And I'm not talking about 50 Cent or P. Diddy (or whatever the hell he's supposesd to be called now) but the lyrics written by rappers like Dr. Dre and Tupac were more complex.
As enjoyable as abuse.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Some of the older rap, like the stuff that was new when I was a teenager in the 90's wasn't too bad..I liked a couple songs by Tupac, Snoop, and Sir Mix a Lot..But, most rap, especially most new rap, bores me so much that it is hard for me to pay attention. Alot of it just sounds the same, and it seems to be more about selling the rapper's image than the music.

I will say though that no matter what genre of music you are into, it does take talent and insight to write good lyrics.
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 am

Yeah, rap music from the 90's was good. A lot of Alternative Rap is good too. But the mainstream crap they play now is just that. Crap.
SP109

Postby SP109 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:03 am

mainstream rap went from something that i completely despised to something i listen to casually with friends. listening to mainstream rap can be really fun if you're not looking to think about the music you're listening to at all.

for the most part, if i listen to current rap it's immortal technique, talib kweli, or mos def. i loooooved old dr. dre, biggie smalls, etc.
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:55 am

I generally agree with everything posted in this thread. 90's rap was definately the best era of rap music. But the sh*t they play today just plain sucks.

SP109 wrote:for the most part, if i listen to current rap it's immortal technique, talib kweli, or mos def. i loooooved old dr. dre, biggie smalls, etc.

Yep. I have the same taste in rap music as you do.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Rap is just like country. It's okay in small doses and there's a few artists I like.

But if you hear too much of it continuously it all sounds the same. Every rap song is about how much of a playa the artist is just like every country song is about how nostalgic the artist is for his/her podunk little sh*t town.

Old school rap is much cooler. Beastie Boys anybody?

You read it! You can't unread it!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:33 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:Beastie Boys anybody?

Yeah, a little bit. But if I hear Brass Monkey one more time, I'm going to have to kill someone.
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:46 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:Beastie Boys anybody?

I've heard some of there stuff, there not bad. I like the album ''Hello Nasty'', but apart from that I've only heard the songs that get play on the music channels.

Anyway, I don't mind Rap music. Like a few people have said, some early 90's Rap is pretty good. There is this one song called ''Nothin But A G Thang'' by Dr Dre & Snoop Dog which I think is really good. That made me want to check out some early Rap music a while back. Don't really listen to it much nowdays though.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:25 pm

High-quality rap songs:

Ain't No Thang, by Outkast -- from Outkast's first album, ridiculous lyrics, good beat, hard as f*ck.

Elevators, by Outkast -- makes me feel cool when I listen to it

Sittin' In My Car, by Slick Rick -- great "story" rapper, smooth as a bald beaver

Comin' Up Short, by Too Short -- funny rapper, one of the biggest misogynists in rap history, also hard as hell

Luchini, by Camp Lo -- amazing to me that this song isn't that well known, great beat and fun lyrics that make absolutely no sense, and one of the guys sounds like Tim Meadows

Just Don't Give a f*ck, by Eminem -- some of his best, most clever lyrics

Blue Flowers Revisited, by Dr. Octagon -- hard to explain, just good stuff

Tear Da Club Up '97, by The Three Six Mafia -- first song of theirs I ever heard, hard as hell, good rapping, also I think it's illegal for them to play this song live because it incited so many riots

All Caps, by Madvillain -- short but ridiculously sweet

Bring the Noise, by Public Enemy -- high energy, good raps, Chuck D. and Flava Flav at their best

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
slipknot110

Postby slipknot110 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:50 pm

rap sucks! I'd rather watch my emo sister cut herself than listen to rap music, that's for sure!
"I was a hand grenade that never stopped exploding"- Mechanical Animals, Marilyn Manson
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:25 pm

I prefer rap over country. Rap can be good when some of its elements are used cleverly or are mixed in with other genres. Mainstream Gangsta’ Rap is really repetitive, and totally demeans it’s original purpose, a pretty good poet speaking his rhymes with rhythmic complexity and a solid beat. You have to give the old prodigies of the 90’s credit for being as innovative as they were, even if you’re not too into the genre. Even rap can have strong meaning when written the right way.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:02 pm

I have heard maybe six rap songs that didn't send me running to the bathroom to vomit. Most of them were from the 90s.

As a musical form, Rap is my least favorite genre. Even electronica/German techno smashes it.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
simon265

Rap Sucks

Postby simon265 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:55 pm

I hate rap because they are all about black people shooting eachother

But it never used to be like that
Bring back the likes of :

Vanilla ice
MC Hammer
House of pain

Songs with meaning to them.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”