Best album ever

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

simon265

Best album ever

Postby simon265 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:00 pm

What album is the best ever?

I was looking through my albums today and came across a Linkin Park album called Hybrid Theory so i put it on. I thought it had posibly the best songs on

Most albums have 4 or 5 good songs and the rest are rubbish but this album is quality.

What do you think?
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm

For me it has to be 'Californication' By the Red Hot Chili Peppers. That was the first album I ever listened to from start to finish. I was 9 when I came out, and before I heard Californication, music never ment that much to me. But that album seriously had an effect on me, it made me see music in a completly different way.

To me, Californication is the perfect Rock album, its got everything. Well written songs with plenty of emotion to the lyrics, beautiful vocals, awsome guitar riffs & guitar solos, funky bass lines and killer drum beats. Every track is as good as the next.

That album got me hooked on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which then got me hooked on Rock music and it all went from there. That album is pretty much the reason why I like the music I like today.

So yeah, Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is in my opinion the best album. Here are some of the other albums that mean alot to me.

H.I.M. - Love Metal
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinit Sadnesss
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
CKY - Infiltrate•Destroy•Rebuild
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Lostprophets - Start Something
Muse - Absolution
H.I.M. - Razorblade Romance
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison
simon265

Postby simon265 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:54 pm

love*metal wrote:For me it has to be 'Californication' By the Red Hot Chili Peppers. That was the first album I ever listened to from start to finish. I was 9 when I came out, and before I heard Californication, music never ment that much to me. But that album seriously had an effect on me, it made me see music in a completly different way.

To me, Californication is the perfect Rock album, its got everything. Well written songs with plenty of emotion to the lyrics, beautiful vocals, awsome guitar riffs & guitar solos, funky bass lines and killer drum beats. Every track is as good as the next.

That album got me hooked on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which then got me hooked on Rock music and it all went from there. That album is pretty much the reason why I like the music I like today.

So yeah, Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is in my opinion the best album. Here are some of the other albums that mean alot to me.

H.I.M. - Love Metal
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinit Sadnesss
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
CKY - Infiltrate•Destroy•Rebuild
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Lostprophets - Start Something
Muse - Absolution
H.I.M. - Razorblade Romance
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison
You're right about chilli peppers album its great i'm a big fan
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:04 pm

Children of Bodom - Something Wild

It's their best album, not to mention my favorite album from any band ever. Much better than their new stuff, but that could just be because I'm a metal purist. XD

1. Deadnight Warrior - My favorite COB song of all time, Deadnight Warrior is one of those ones that you can't forget once you've heard it. Starts with an intro from the movie "It" and then suddenly you get hit by this incredible drum solo from Jaska. Every riff in the song is awesome, and the two solos, though short, are some of the finest guitar work I've ever seen.

2. In the Shadow - I don't understand why Alexi considers this the worst song he's ever written. It's so angry and violent, and the outro keyboard/guitar classical piece has so much emotion in it. Alexi also makes some good use of his vocal range throughout the song, ranging from almost a screech to a deep growl.

3. Red Light In My Eyes Part I - Another of my favorites from this album. There's so much hate in every second of it, you can practically taste it when you listen to the song. I love all of the riffs from it (There's at least 4 different riffs, not counting bridges, chorus, and the solo), and this is, IMO, one of Alexi's finest vocal demonstrations.

4. Red Light In My Eyes Part II - This song is actually not connected to the previous one in any way, either lyrically or musically. I guess Alexi must have some secret reason for naming it that. Anyway, the chorus in this song will bring out the headbanger in anyone. One of the riffs, though only played twice in the song, is possibly one of the most ugly/beautiful things in musical history. Part II of the duo is also faster and more more frantic, and Alexi doesn't use his lower vocal range as much as in Part I. There's also a nice keyboard solo from Janne, which is one of the best moments in the song. It's a pity they've only ever played it live once.

5. Lake Bodom - This is the song that any devoted COB fan should know. It's my least favorite from the album, but Lake Bodom still beats ANY of the songs on their later albums, and is one of my favorite songs in general. There's quite a bit of guitar shredding...And is that a keyboard solo I hear? Very nice song, and I know it's one of the crowd favorites when they play it live. That may be because it's literally impossible not to headbang while listening to it.

6. The Nail - The Nail is possibly the most underrated song Bodom have ever done, except for In the Shadow. The opening riff is absolutely DEADLY, and though the song can get repeatitive at times, that's forgivable since the parts that they repeat are freaking good anyway. The first solo is one of the more amazing pieces of work that Alexi has done, but the outro solo will blow anyone away. Thirty seconds of nonstop sweep-picking make up possibly the most incredible solo that the band have ever recorded. The outro riff is also one of my favorite Bodom riffs, since it's so damn brutal and violent.

7. Touch Like Angel of Death - The last song on the album, and the only one with official lyrics. The intro is eerie, and the intro goes into one of the best riffs of all musical history. Then we have a Janne solo (Awesome piece too) and the chorus begins. The chorus is AWESOME. Words cannot express how angry it is. The solo is incredible too, and all of this goes together to make Touch Like Angel of Death one of the greatest Bodom songs of all time, as well as one of the greatest metal songs of all time.
LA_KING_91

Postby LA_KING_91 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:19 pm

I would say L.A Woman(1971), The Doors made the album right before Jim Morrison died , and the album has alot of cool songs in it.
deathandecay

Postby deathandecay » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Best album ever...hmm, that's pretty hard.
Off the top of my head, I'd say The Fragile- NIN.

And for industrial music: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Dark_Park]Too Dark Park- Skinny Puppy.
[/url]
And my preppy tastes: Futures- Jimmy Eat World.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 pm

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, by The Beatles.

Would be perfect from start to finish if not for that sitar song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Led Zeppelin's Untitled 4th Album, commonly called Zoso amongst fans.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:52 am

^^^

Another vote for Zeppelin IV.

Either that or Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".

I'd also nominate Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Greatest Hits" for best road trip album ever.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:25 am

Aym_Dand wrote:Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, by The Beatles.

Would be perfect from start to finish if not for that sitar song.

Agreed and disagreed: The raga rock is amazing. Also partially disagreed however because I think's it's the second best album of all time next to Nirvana's Nevermind. Are You Experienced? by the Jimi Hendrix Experienced is the best album to date in my view.
As enjoyable as abuse.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:43 am

Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon.. Anything by Rob Zombie, Nirvana's Nevermind, AC/DC's Back in Black..And many others.
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:15 am

Systematic Chaos - Dream Theater (though its prog, so, selective taste)
Ghost Opera - Kamelot

Unia - Sonata Arctica

All good stuff.

Many others though, of course.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
EPAF

Postby EPAF » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:55 am

This is just my opinion on what albums I think are great:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band One of the few Beatles album I've listened too, but it's still a great album in my eyes - especially since one of my fav tracks 'She's Leaving Home' is on this record.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon They're a band I thought I never believed I'd get into, but their music is got that wonderful mixture of rock, art, ambience and rhythm. It's this album that really got me into being a Pink Floyd fan and hence why I've got so many of their albums.

The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole Definately by far, their best out of the 6 they've got. The entire album plays like one massive track and it's got such a great-beat collection of House, Techno, Acid & Electronica.

Keane - Hopes & Fears Considering it was a new type of genre in the whole Indie scene back then, the album's got some great Piano Rock music with great compositions and great singing. I know I'm probably the only Keane-listener here, but I'd definately advise anyone to have just a little listen to such classics as 'Somewhere Only We Know'.

Radiohead - OK Computer One of the best British Rock albums of the past 20 years at least. How they manage to combine Indie Rock, Ambient Rock AND Piano Rock, is beyond me, but the whole album works so well - 'Paranoid Android' & 'No Surprises' spring to mind.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way I know some people have already said that 'Californication' is one of their best albums, and I agree with them, but 'By The Way' opened my eyes to how good they were at Rock music and it's my favourite album by them.

^ I've probably SLIGHTLY gone a bit bias towards British music there, but that's my personal opinion of it since those albums were what I grew up with. But I'm sure there are plenty of great non-British albums out that are great (and possibly even greater) too.
crazyQH wrote:Ok EPAF, I'm officially granting you the title of having the best dream ever.
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:03 am

The Beatles: The White Album

Lou Reed: Transformer

The Ark: In Lust We Trust

David Bowie: Diamond Dogs

Brian Eno: Here Come the Warm Jets

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

The Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground & Nico

The Zombies: Odessey and Oracle (a great hippie summer-listening...)

P.S. I like Californication, a lot, too.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:35 pm

I can't do that. There's too much good stuff to just choose one. To me, a good album is one that you can listen to from beginning to end without getting tired of it, or skipping tracks. I'm just gonna rattle off the ones from my collection that fit that criteria.
Fischerspooner: #1 and Odyssey
Beck: Midnite Vultures and Guero
Herb Alpert: Rise (although I think side A is best)
Carole King: Tapestry
Daft Punk: Discovery
Gorilaz: Demon Days
Madonna: Confessions... (Yeah, I like it. So what?)
Moby's Play was good for it's time,
Portishead: PNYC
U2: Best of '80 - '90 (mostly disc 1 though)

I know there are more because I did this list last night in my head and came up with over a dozen albums. Well, I may have to come back later and add to it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”