Soldiers in Iraq

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:30 am

Oh god yes... The F2000. If we were to switch our M4's with anything, I would want that, but converted to a 6.8mm SPC. I would also like a SureFire Suppressor attatched, and then I would like an NVD sight. My only problem with this weapon is that it has only two rail mounts, one for the sights, another for the M203 grenade launcher, or shotgun, or light assemply, etc. I mean two weaver mounts are nothing compared to the 5 that an M4 can have.

How do you post images? I don't really have the time to figure that stuff out on my own, could someone help? :?
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

No, that is the opposite of manly.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:49 pm

I believe you upload the photo onto a hosting site like ImageShack, and then use the [img] tags and it's URL to get it to display here.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:05 am

What sucks is I'm prohibited from using any image hosting sites form where I'm at. Otherwise I may try out photobucket. :)

But at least now I know what to do first thing when I come home!
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:38 am

OMG :cartmanlaugh: @go team. LOL
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:03 pm

I think the army should take a leaf from Larry Phillips's book. Larry got shot 29 times, but only a few of those shots actually did any damage, and most of that was bruising. The reason is because he was wearing 42 pounds of Kevlar body armor from his neck to his ankles.

Now, I've heard about a project of the army's or marines' or whatever the hell branch of the government...They've created a vest that is far lighter and more flexible than Kevlar armor, yet strong enough to resist even rounds fired from high-powered weapons like the AK-47s that are so beloved in the Middle-East.

If the army began making this kind of armor as full-body protection, neck to ankles or head to toe or whatever you want to extend it to, I'd imagine that'd save a lot of lives. Being shot with an AK-47 (Or any high-powered rifle for that matter) while wearing body armor would almost invariably do some damage anyway, but I'd much rather have a broken leg than have several inches of my femur disintegrated. I'm sure most of the guys who have been wounded in combat in Iraq would agree very strongly with that.

The only problem I can see with this is, of course, the cost. Eventually, though, if the government doesn't cancel the program to save cash for public works programs like giant statues of Roman gods in Texas or research on the history of goose droppings, they will almost definitely find a way to cheaply and effectively mass-produce this kind of body armor.

Even without that, I'd encourage body armor modification in the field. It'd be extremely heavy, so it wouldn't be very desirable for anyone who's got to be mobile, but it'd be a great help for soldiers who don't have to move on their own, such as someone who mans a machine gun in a vehicle and is exposed to gunfire. There's not much to lose by wearing arm and maybe even head protection in a situation like that.
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Nommel wrote:Now, I've heard about a project of the army's or marines' or whatever the hell branch of the government...They've created a vest that is far lighter and more flexible than Kevlar armor, yet strong enough to resist even rounds fired from high-powered weapons like the AK-47s that are so beloved in the Middle-East.

I've only gotten a few chances to test out this kind of stuff (in other words, get hit), but what you're saying is true.

The type of protection you're referring to is known as liquid body armor. While the name is a little misleading, it gets it's name from the fact that it has a gel/somewhat liquid substance that retains fluidity and versatility as if it were a thin/ineffective armor, but the instant it gets hit, the substance hardens, as if it where the ceramic plating SWAT teams often use.

Since it hardens from the kinetic energy of a 7.62x39mm round, it stops it in it's tracks but the returns to a more normal flexible sort of armor. Right now this is being considered for arm and leg protection for sure.

As for a vest I personally like Dragon skin armor. This armor isn't necessarily "stronger" than regular ceramics, it won't do any better at taking a .300 WM AP incendiary round at the same level of protection, but what it can do is take dozens of multiple spaced hits without losing integrity. This is due to the fact that is has a series of tiny disc-like plates (hence the name) that don't transfer the shock throughout the whole vest. If you have only one plate and a bullet strikes, then the whole entire plate takes the shock and can only take a few spaced hits.

But since the shock only goes into the disc of armor that was hit, the rest of the vest is unaffected. So you can take dozens of hits all over the vest without penetration.

I'd much rather have a broken leg than have several inches of my femur disintegrated. I'm sure most of the guys who have been wounded in combat in Iraq would agree very strongly with that.

Yep. I'm surely one of them.

The only problem I can see with this is, of course, the cost. Eventually, though, if the government doesn't cancel the program to save cash for public works programs like giant statues of Roman gods in Texas or research on the history of goose droppings, they will almost definitely find a way to cheaply and effectively mass-produce this kind of body armor.

Exactly. With McCain in the presidency, we can be sure money can be prioritized for things like this.

Even without that, I'd encourage body armor modification in the field. It'd be extremely heavy, so it wouldn't be very desirable for anyone who's got to be mobile, but it'd be a great help for soldiers who don't have to move on their own, such as someone who mans a machine gun in a vehicle and is exposed to gunfire. There's not much to lose by wearing arm and maybe even head protection in a situation like that.

Generally most gunners no longer have to be exposed in combat thanks to the ARROWS system. You use a joystick an a CCTV to control it from the inside of the vehicle.

But this would still be nice for those inside convoys that must be used as bait for IEDs. While the armor on many vehicles (particularly the MRAPs) is usually sufficient, heavy armor on crew members who don't even have to move much anyway isn't a bad idea at all.
ShaneHaughey wrote:

Neverdie69

Postby Neverdie69 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:15 am

Jeeze that would be nice to be able to do, just line 'em up and shoot 'em... One problem though: THEY SHOOT BACK![/quote]
When the eagle calls, the raven answers...
Shas'O Marsh

Postby Shas'O Marsh » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:41 am

Excuse me gentlemen, but we were discussing really important stuff, so take your interesting stuff and leave us to the bloodbath! :(

Seriously though, HellStryke, DSA is cool. If you could personally make improvements on it, what would it be?
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Seriously though, HellStryke, DSA is cool. If you could personally make improvements on it, what would it be?

There's really not much that can be done to make it better, except for one or two things.

Dragon Skin has received some criticism due to the concept that the adhesives and materials that hold the discs (they feel a bit larger than most quarters, I heard they're the size of silver dollars) can weaken.

Now this concept of the weakening of the adhesive is something I've never experienced personally, but what this would do is make it so the discs can come loose, so the overall integrity of the armor would be reduced. Since the force would no longer be dispersed as well over the entire body (which is what all vest are supposed to do) this means that even if a round can't penetrate there would be enough blunt trauma to still cause significant internal damage. Heart failure has happened before in some cases where a round maybe didn't go through, but the shock caused to much internal damage.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/body-armor2.htm

The link above gives some idea of what this means.

To improve Dragon Skin I would recommend that they do more research into the adhesives and materials that hold the discs together. While I can't say they've ever come loose before on me, I hear enough from military briefings to make me worry (but at the same time I find it strange how they banned it before they even tested it, so who knows).

Another step forward would be the materials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproo ... roof_vests

Nanotechnology has allowed the creation of a material that on a slightly larger than molecular scale is very lightweight yet could stop an AP round traveling at nearly a mile a second if you're lucky. This Nanocomposite would be useful for the discs used in dragonskin, but this technology also has the potential for making better adhesives to hold the discs together.
ShaneHaughey wrote:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”