Harry Potter

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:39 pm

That being the case, can I borrow $3.50?
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:41 pm

BRMBug wrote:That being the case, can I borrow $3.50?

That better not be that goddamn Loch Ness Monster again...
Email notifications do matter, people.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 pm

Saw the 5th movie last night. In a nutshell, it was pretty good, but it wasn't the best of the series. The directing was impressive, especially when it came to setting up the dramatic sequences in the beginning and end. The special effects likewise did not disappoint.

The writing however left something to be desired. Throughout the film, it felt like they were rushing things just to get to the end. Even the characters' speech was way too fast at times, to the point where I couldn't quite understand them. There wasn't as much dialogue or content as I would have liked, and several significant scenes were either excluded or rearranged. Most notably, the romance subplot between Harry and Cho was hardly given any lead-in or sufficient setup, and it looked like the writers abandoned it halfway through. Even the huge fight at the end between Voldemort and Dumbledore at the Ministry headquarters was cut fairly short.

I can understand rushing production of a movie like this. After all, if you don't get the movie out in a timely fashion, your actors are going to get too old to play their characters. But rushing the writing? It's already written!!

Oh well, at least they didn't include the gay love triangles... :D
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:36 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Oh well, at least they didn't include the gay love triangles... :D

That's next. :lol:
pull my thumb

Postby pull my thumb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:05 pm

I've made a very interesting spoof that makes fun of the final Harry Potter book. I did not make up any spoilers nor that I'll tell you anything because I've obviously hadn't read the book yet because it comes out less than a few days.

Here's the link . . . . . . .

http://www.southparkstudios.com/fans/bb ... hp?t=29782
pull my thumb

Postby pull my thumb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:22 pm

angeldeb82 wrote:A hacker claims to have stolen and revealed a Harry Potter ending. I can't give much of it away, as I'm not buying his story, but here's the link, anyway. (Warning: DO NOT REVEAL IT TO ANYONE, OKAY?!) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19352126/?GT1=10056

I hate douchebags who spoil things like that, even though I do like a few certain spoilers, but I keep them to myself. I wouldn't others to be annoyed by the spoilers, whether they're accurate or not.
chicken in a helicopter

Postby chicken in a helicopter » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:06 pm

HellStrykeXL wrote:Quick question: When this whole series ends, and the franchise no longer continues, what might take it's place? :idea:

I'm just trying to envision what might have as comparable of an influence as it has. :?
I think the artemis Fowl series will take its place
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:17 am

albino.black.sheep wrote:
BRMBug wrote:That being the case, can I borrow $3.50?

That better not be that goddamn Loch Ness Monster again...

Just start off at a buck o'five.

angeldeb82 wrote:A hacker claims to have stolen and revealed a Harry Potter ending. I can't give much of it away, as I'm not buying his story, but here's the link, anyway. (Warning: DO NOT REVEAL IT TO ANYONE, OKAY?!) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19352126/?GT1=10056

That couldn't be more bullsh*t even if a bull had just taken a dump on it. It was probably made up by someone who did it, as the internet folk put it, purely for the lulz. I know because that "prediction" has many different variations, and the various "deaths" take place on nonexistent pages (the book contains only 608, whilst the spoilers extend into different pages.)

The only people who actually know what's going to happen are J.K. Rowling and her editor. J.K. said that only two principal characters are going to die, and I'll stand by her word.

Still, I'm not going to believe a word anyone says until I actually read the book myself come Saturday. I can't wait to read it.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:20 am

Not counting Rowling and the publisher (who're gonna lose a mint from this), what fan really cares if the book's been leaked to the net? Can't you just do what we tell all South Park haters to do with the show and just avoid the leak? No-one forces you to type it into google and check it out, or watch Fox when they reveal whats been leaked word for word. Or are they forcing you, i don't really know.
Baathville728

Postby Baathville728 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:52 am

Yeah you can, but Harry Potter 7 is one of the biggest fictional things ever. It's much bigger than South Park, even though it is excellent, avoiding leaks for Harry Potter would be much harder.
cheesypoofs857

Postby cheesypoofs857 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:28 am

They have leaks on YouTube, which is probably the only reason why I can't avoid them. But I'm going buy the book at midnight tonight, so it's not gonna matter anymore. It's a good thing I have three family members working at the same Wal-Mart!
Someone wrote:Lies! None of the guys on here have seen real women!
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:35 am

does he die?
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm waiting in line to get my copy. 4 hours and 38 minutes to go.
EPAF

Postby EPAF » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:36 pm

albino.black.sheep wrote:I'm waiting in line to get my copy. 4 hours and 38 minutes to go.

Are you literally IN the line now? Have you got yer' laptop back or sumin? I'm confused. :lol:

By my watch and by the clock at the right-hand corner of the screen, in BST terms, it's only another 2 hours and 24 minutes to go for all the fans......of which I'm not a part of. Though as a neutral, it's gunna be pretty interesting to read and watch on the news if any fans die from either excitement or getting trampled on whilst a hundred others rush to snatch the books to buy. :roll:

And I know it is a British-based thing, but in terms of Media Whoring - COME ON! I've pretty much seen news about Harry Potter every day of the week for about 2 and a half weeks now. All this 'Oooooo, what will the last word of the last book be - is it Scar, is it something else? Oooooo, the tension in this World is...UN-BE-LIEEEVABLE!' :roll:

I'm just counting down the seconds until the book gets released so that all this Media Whoring is over and done with. I mean, it's ridiculous - I doubt they'll have this much Media coverage when, for example, Dan Brown releases HIS upcoming novel. (which is the only book I'm really interested in getting at the mo)

And I've just realised, if Star Trek fans are dubbed as Treekies...and Doctor Who fans are dubbed as Whoies...then I guess...that means Harry Potter fans are dubbed as Potties - which is fair enough. :lol:
crazyQH wrote:Ok EPAF, I'm officially granting you the title of having the best dream ever.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:37 pm

EPAF wrote:
albino.black.sheep wrote:I'm waiting in line to get my copy. 4 hours and 38 minutes to go.

Are you literally IN the line now? Have you got yer' laptop back or sumin? I'm confused. :lol:

No, I'm on my friend's Blackberry. :D

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”