Polygamy

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SuperMaids

Polygamy

Postby SuperMaids » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:51 am

Watching yet another rerun of ‘All About Mormons’ yesterday really got me thinking; why does Polygamy, one of the basic tenets of Mormonism, remain illegal throughout the developed (and much of the undeveloped) world?
Thanks to the amount of diversity and freedom in our society, you probably think I’m a weirdo for just posing the question, but does any one of you have a good argument against the practice?
A few pre-emptive rebuttals of common arguments against polygamy should be enough to kill off the easy options and force you to evaluate why its so wrong. Most commonly presented and most easily ripped to tattered shreds is the misogyny argument; if both genders have the right to marry as many people as they want, what’s against women? Originating in such reliable sources as the Arabian nights stories, the commonly held belief that polygamy causes unnecessary competition between spouses is a difficult one to fight, especially when you consider the few things fate-bound monogamous couples ever argue about; a way around this commonly used in the past involved people not marrying single spouses but everyone in the marriage, giving all concerned parties an equal say in who gets included in the coupling.
Arguments that the legalisation of such activity could spell the end society as we know it are only as strong as the society in question; the amount of irreparable damage they did to ancient civilisations like China add a lot of weight to the ‘it’ll be the death of everything we’ve ever known’ argument, but not nearly enough to validate it.
What about other groups or individuals polygamy could hurt? Did you ever think aboot all the poor divorce attorneys who’d end up having to work boring criminal cases if people had an alternative to adultery when they find someone they love as much as their spouse! If marriage had some of the deathly finality removed, children who’ve never known their dads (who all know grow up to be well adjusted adults, never impacted by the lack of a father figure in their lives) could end up back in the minority! Psychiatrists and romantic novelists will no doubt loose out when people no longer have to decide who’s worth elevating above everyone else on the planet, to live with and reserve all love for, for the rest of time!
Anything that could possibly be called a religious argument is banned. FULL STOP; I’m guessing what happens on this site when the G word gets a mention. Oh, and If anyone even thinks about constructing a moral argument against plural marriages, I’m sure they won’t even think of trying to refute moral arguments against homosexuality, as no one wants to have double standards. Look forward to your arguments against polygamy.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:36 am

I think it depends on the circumstances..If we are talking about what I have seen on the news that happens in some Mormon communities that are outside of the Church Of Later Day Saints and the polygamy they practice invovles a gross, old, abusive man marrying a bunch of girls who are young enough to be his daughters , then that is f*cked. That is child abuse..But, if you are talking about consenting adults in a three way relationship who want to marry eachother, I see no problem. People can make the arguement that people in that situation are setting themselves up for disaster because there will ultimately be jealousy in the relationship and such..But when one straight man and one straight woman enter a marriage that for what ever reason is obviously not going to last and is going to end in both people having bitter feelings for eachother, no one tells those people they can't get married. Why should straight people or people who only want one spouse be the only ones allowed to have a marriage that ruins their lives?
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:51 am

Don't get me wrong, My attack on the morality argument has nothing to do with homophobia, It was just in case any of the pro-gay marraige/rights/existance people try to bring the good book or archaic values into the fore.
Oh, and of course i mean concenting adults, thought i made that clear when I said 'giving all concerned parties an equal say in who gets included in the coupling,' but just to clarify, i'm not up for peodophile rights (unlike a lot of manogomous men) or the establisment of hareems, just one less out of date, bible bound law.
Sorry to post my own thread btw.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:55 am

It is going to take a miracle for this not to turn into a religion flame war. LOL.. Anyone wanna take bets on how long it will take for someone to bring up the religious aspects of marriage?
Marc_Marc

Postby Marc_Marc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:00 am

Two wives would be sweet. Chop chop, dig dig...
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 am

Marc_Marc wrote:Two wives would be sweet. Chop chop, dig dig...

I love that Simpson's episode..LOL..
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:26 am

I always wanted to have a threesome...foursome...hell, the more the merrier!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:06 am

Is this not polygamy:

But anyway, I can barely get one, I don't know what I'd do with 2 or more.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:08 am

BRMBug wrote:Is this not polygamy:

That, that's polygony! :cartmanevillaugh:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:35 am

Big-Will wrote:
BRMBug wrote:Is this not polygamy:

That, that's polygony! :cartmanevillaugh:

Oh... Well what about this:
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:04 am

Historically speaking, polygyny originated in ancient tribal societies where the women would usually outnumber the men. This is because the males were the ones who went off and got killed in wars. Since many of these cultures were patriarchal, they believed that women needed to be controlled so that they wouldn't go screwing around with everyone. The best way they could think of to control their women was through marriage, and by letting men take more than one wife. Keep in mind that women were typically regarded as chattel or property, so these relationships were often abusive, and the women had no say in the matter.

Anyway, my stance is that anything goes between consenting adults. The keywords though are 'consenting' and 'adults.' Those polygamist groups that force underage girls to marry, have sex with, and bear children for men several times their age are just plain sick. Additionally, since these polygamist groups are very insular and tend to cut themselves off from the outside world, they inevitably end up with men marrying girls who are close relatives. As you might expect, this increases the rate of birth defects and genetic disorders, such as mental retardation.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:07 am

I seen some polygamists at a Wal*Mart in St. George Utah, while visiting my sister near Las Vegas. They look like "Little House On The Praire". :lol:
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 pm

First of all, Kyle The Skeptic said everything I wanted to say. Only now in the year 2007 is it beginning to become acceptable that a woman can live her life without a man. These societies look at women as property. That's why the brides family offer a dowry to the family of the man their daughter is gonna marry. "Since you are going to take this financial burden off our hands, we will give you this offering of <insert number of goats here>.

Someone said something earlier about dirty old men marrying girls who are underage more or less. They were absolutely right. These men hide behind the religious practices and it's sickening.

On a legal ground, the idea of marriage involves someone having the right to legally speak for you if you are incapacitated (pulling the plug etc), taxes..and others...having more than one person able to make that decision would overly complicate things. Raising kids and all the other things married couples do you don't really have to be married to do.

But, all that said and done, I feel no need to push my beliefs on anyone. If I knew there was a group of people who all wanted to be married, all consenting adults, I wouldn't try to stop them because I disagree with them.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:47 pm

marriage should be between one man and one woman. I have no idea why a woman would wan to marry a man with another wife anyhow.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:58 pm

heat was an awful movie

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”