Why I hate psychiatry so much I can rant for a whole thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SuperMaids

Why I hate psychiatry so much I can rant for a whole thread

Postby SuperMaids » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:13 am

Plaguing me since the moment I left the womb, scepticism has practically been my name, a definition of my outlook. However, most of the things I distrust, when examined closely, reveal both good and bad aspects of themselves to my eye. Not so with the practice of psychiatry.
The more I learn about the methods and practices they use, the more I loath them.
Taking as they do the wholly unfitting guise of scientists, most patients can be fooled into thinking that the disease they were diagnosed with exists outside of the mid of the psychiatrist who’ve diagnosed the disorder, and that other people with their condition are like them. Unfortunately, these people would be wrong.
Psychiatrists use a special manual to guide them in their decisions, a book which they treat with the same sanctity that the average priest treats his bible. Unfortunately there’s a greater verity of opinions among psychiatrists as to what the manual actually says as there are opinions among priests as to what the bible actually says, leading to a situation in which the patient has just a 45% chance (at best!) of receiving the same diagnosis from two unconnected psychiatrists.
What causes such great inconsistencies? That’s easy; the open ended nature of diagnoses given in the book for most illnesses.
A diagnosis of schizophrenia, for example, requires the shrink to notice in the hour they have with the patient just two from a list of symptoms as long as a piece of string and as wide ranging as the patients themselves, a list containing such questionable symptoms as (‘talks too much’ and ‘talks too little’) alongside the unknowable (‘thinks or talks strangely’, ‘has a weird imagination’ or ‘feels emotions differently to other people’) and the insane (‘stutters or lisps’ and ‘has unusual opinions’).
Each of these symptoms has hundreds of potential causes, from the easily detectable physical ones (e.g. a bump on the head) that effect large areas of the brain to the neurological deformities (e.g. A genetic disorder) effecting a few nerve cells so deep in the brain it’s undetectable without dissecting the patient’s head, as well as the psychological factors (e.g. Abuse as a child) which cause damage not to the hardware of the brain but to it’s programming, effecting single molecules and other miscellaneous causes. As cures work only if they target the cause of the symptoms, the disease itself, and as shrinks just look for visible symptoms (as medical doctors did in the middle ages) before prescribing one-size-fits-all remedies, their prescribed cures are just as likely to hurt the patient as help him.
But thanks to the guise of the scientist psychiatrists wear, patients are unlikely to question their medication or therapy before consuming or undertaking it.
The most common cure prescribed by psychiatrists is the one that makes them the most money for the least work; psychotropic drugs, which they call ‘medication.’
Medication may work to change the mood and feelings of the patient, but the drugs they prescribe are bear little or no difference to those men on street corners sell to the depressed, desperate or bored people of the world (which shrinks would say suffer from ‘mood disorder’), many of the medications they’re forced by law to buy from the shrink are simply renamed street drugs; Ritalin for example is an amphetamine, just like Speed, whereas most schizophrenia medication contains THC, the main constituent of cannabis (which has nothing to do with the large number of undiagnosed schizophrenics who claim cannabis helps them!).
This inconsistency in the law is undeniable; either anyone can take the easy way out of difficult personal problems, psycho effective chemicals, or shrinks stop selling drugs and get back to group therapy sessions proven to help.
The psychiatrists get to thank the widely subjective diagnosis in their manual one more time, as corrupt psychiatrists can foist diagnoses (as well as medication and institutionalisation) upon patients simply because the patients have different political, philosophical or religious beliefs to the psychiatrist. Shrewd politicians have used this to their advantage over the course of history; the Nazi party exterminated rivals they considered to be ‘schizophrenic’ in their T5 programme, the little brother of the Holocaust: communists in China imprisoned and tortured those they suspected of schizophrenia because they didn’t worship the nation’s president as a god: the soviets diagnosed anyone who believed in a god of any kind with mental illness.
Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s just something that happens in other countries either; when a psychiatrist thinks someone thinks differently to the majority of society, even if the patient is happy with the way they think and it doesn’t hurt them or anyone else in any way shape or form, the shrink can forcibly and indefinitely, without trial, commit the patient to a prison like mental hospital. The same goes for people the psychiatrist thinks talk funny or have an ‘undesirable personality type’. It’s only a matter of time before such atrocities as I’ve listed above become widespread in the western world.
Labels such as schizophrenia and sociopathy are misconstrued as actual mental illnesses by the general public, leading to an unfounded mistrust of the people carrying such labels. As such, these labels have the power to ruin the lives of those effected by them in a way their ‘disease’ never could, leading to a loss of friends and relationships based upon the fear such stereotypes create (61% of Americans believe schizophrenics are unsafe to befriend), a lack of career prospects (employers are forced to hire physically disabled people by the government, yet can fire workers prematurely if they discover they have a ‘mental illness’, pay them less or pass them over for promotion even if it doesn’t effect their work), a greater risk of victimisation by mobs of ignorant extremists (schizophrenics are 14 times more likely to fall victim to a crime than the san, while they’re 4 times less likely to commit one).
As it’s impossible for any individual to know for certain that they themselves think or feel in a similar way to other people, so what hope does a therapist have of deciding if a person thinks differently?
Almost as little hope as they have ever seeing me as a patient. There are so many alternatives to seeing a psychiatrist for the mentally ill, from cheap self-medication and self-help courses to anonymous online therapy groups such as the ‘Paranoia Network’ and ‘Hearing Voices’ which provide a safe place for the ill to discuss the aspects of their disorders that trouble them (and not those that trouble psychiatrists) with each other as equals (and not as patients). The days of the psychiatrist are (hopefully) fewer than the number of people they’ve ever helped.
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:21 am

I know what you're getting at here...I'm not a big fan of psychiatrists and meds either. I've been through tons of different kinds of meds for my depression, and most of them just f*cked me up one way or another (thank God I'm off my meds now).

I believe psycologists are a bit different, though. They aren't the ones prescribing the meds and labeling this and that as disorders; they're the people who spend the time listening to you, to try to find practical (non-med) solutions to try to solve your problems constructively. They are the emotional help, if you may, for the people with depression/post-traumatic stress types of things. As far as I know, my psychologist was a heckuva lot better than my psychiatrist when it came to helping fix my depression.

:wink:

There's my two cents on things...
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:33 am

I admit, I don't know everything about psychiatry, but I know enough that it scares me. Especially since I have known people who were given drugs by their doctors that did a hell of alot more harm than good. The doctors having that kind of control over their patients scares me. I think there are alot of people who would be better off without the medication they are given, and who maybe should be left alone if they are not a danger to themselves or others.
Amplive

Postby Amplive » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Good God, the scientologist's are taking over the South Park boards! THE sh*t IS GOING DOWN!!!!

Nah, I'm just f*cking around... yeah, doping kids is bad, mmmmkay...
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:53 am

Damnit, you beat me to it. :D

The thing about psychiatry is that it's the field of medicine about which the most still has yet to be discovered. The doctor's subjective judgment plays a large part in any given diagnosis, and medications such as the SSRI class of antidepressants aren't even fully understood as to why exactly they work. The problem of drugs being overprescribed is not limited to the field of mental health though. It happens everywhere, such as in your physician's office where antibiotics are usually prescribed for people who might be better off without them.

I've had my bad experiences with psychiatry and its treatments - actually "bad" would probably be an understatement, but I won't go into it here. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say I want these same treatments banned or denied to others. The reason they're used is because they work most of the time in most people. Obviously different people are going to react differently to the same drug or procedure. As one of my psychiatrists said, if something doesn't work, there are one of two possible reasons: it's the wrong dosage, or it's the wrong medication.

The problem with drugs though is that they can't make one's problems go away.
Craig-and-Clyde

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 am

I think that the mind is far to complex to be treated with drugs. Personally I think they environment has a greater impact on the mind and personality than physical aliments. I do not deny that they exist, but I think the human psyche is much to frail to start altering with drugs that haven't had sufficient testing. Besides I can tell when I am physically sick and I don't need someone to tell me. However you cannot often tell if you are mentally ill, and you should never rely on someone else to tell you that you aren't normal, because who is to say what is normal...
I don't think i'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams. And then I always get woken up in the morning by the sound of my own screams. Do you think i'm unhappy?
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:12 am

Wow, someone actually browsed through my rant! You guys must have super streangth patience; hope it's real and not the side effect of any 'medication' or anything :?
I suppose I'll respond to you all as individual people, and not as
one labled group, being as I'm not a psychiatrist.

To Edduyasha
[quote:7e177]I believe psycologists are a bit different, though[/quote:7e177]
Too true; they're not only different, and a million times better, than the drug peddlers, they're still wrong. But at least it's for the right reasons.
They want to help (as I'm sure [i:7e177] some [/i:7e177] of the chemical cure all dudes do) but they still use one-size fits all therapy 'cures' for everyone they prescribed with the same diesiease, even though two people suffering from the 'same' mental illness on paper are likely to have completely different symptoms, and even more varied causes of these symptoms.
Psychotherapists that actually understand that their patients are people and get to know them, finding a route to recovery that'll only get rid of the parts of the patient's personality that are harmfull are very few and very far between, but those that do exist have all my blessings. All of them.

To M00n;
[quote:7e177] I admit, I don't know everything about psychiatry, but I know enough that it scares me [/quote:7e177]
I hardly know anything about it at all. But everything I've ever read, seen or expierienced that could ever be considered to do with psychiatry terrorfies my mind for the reasons you outline, and for others.
[quote:7e177] who maybe should be left alone if they are not a danger to themselves or others. [/quote:7e177]
Take the 'maybe' out and that scentance would be fine.
A plastic surgeon wouldn't (have the power to) force surgery upon an ugly bastard someone because their ugliness hurts the 'fragile fabric of society', so why are shrinks aloud to use such lame excuses to foist treatment upon eccentrics for being a bit different and bringing something new to the party that is life?
Why did they kill the grandad that I knew and make a souless monster out of him? Because they didn't like his beliefs, that's why. That's why I'll never knowingly let one within 50 yards of me.

To Kyle;
[quote:7e177] medications such as the SSRI class of antidepressants aren't even fully understood as to why exactly they work [/quote:7e177]
Or if they work at all. All the psychiatrist can tell is that the drugs cover up the symptoms, not that they help the diesiese. And don't get me started on un-noticed/ un-noticable side-efects deep in the mind.
[quote:7e177] The problem of drugs being overprescribed is not limited to the field of mental health though [/quote:7e177]
But it's in this field that they do the most dammage; they limmit our understanding of the 'diesieses'.
[quote:7e177] However, I wouldn't go so far as to say I want these same treatments banned or denied to others. [/quote:7e177]
If drugs shouldn't be banned for the 'mentally ill', then why should they be banned for the sane?
What makes us so different, except a bit of paper saying we're schizophrenic or hyperactive? Find some proof the drugs workd differently (and i mean proof, not what the drugs do to the takers behaviour) and I'll be happy with the law as it is.
Also on the topic of drugs, pressuring patients into taking meds is one of the most dispicable practices I've encountered in buisiness. People are told that they're evil if they don't buy (and subsequently take) their 'sane pills', even if such pills make them worse on the inside (or even if it makes them worse on the outside).
[quote:7e177] The problem with drugs though is that they can't make one's problems go away. [/quote:7e177]
Said this same phrase, what, about a hundred times myself in this very post. Why? Because it couldn't be any truer.

To Craig and Clyde;
[quote:7e177]I think that the mind is far to complex to be treated with drugs[/quote:7e177]
Have you ever heard of Alcohol? Or Cannabis for that matter?
They're great at helping people change the symptoms of their personality (that psychiatrists can see).
Who cares if they only do this by, for a short time, covering up the causes of the user's problems?
Certainly not most shrinks :evil:
[quote:7e177] Personally I think they environment has a greater impact on the mind and personality than physical aliments [/quote:7e177]
An actual physical ailment has as great an impact as a psychological one; unfortunately psychiatrists can't see that the same symptoms are hundreds of times more likely to have been caused by society than a knock on the head, especially when they have NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that the guy has anything wrong with their brain most of the times they can actually be bothered to check?

And to Amp;
[quote:7e177]Good God, the scientologist's are taking over the South Park boards! THE sh*t IS GOING DOWN!!![/quote:7e177]
Thanks for pointing out the one flaw in the anti psychiatry movement; the support it garners from lunatics who don't want to get commited when they've givven all the money they used to pay shrinks off with to their crazay 'church'.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 am

Yes, the drugs do help some people..But the doctors who are perscribing them are human..Not infaliable. Not incapable of misdiagnoising a patient. Considering the kinds of side effects those kind of drugs can have, and considering the stigma one faces with being labeled as having certain mental illnesses, that is way too much power the doctors have over their patients lives, and it is scary. And like I said, I actually know people with negative experiences with those kind of drugs and dependence on psychiatric care. I could tell all of you a real horror story alright.I refuse to ever see a psychitrist, or ever take their drugs. I don't f*cking need them. If I have a problem, I have friends I can talk to and there are other things I can do to. Those f*ckers screw with people's lives and minds, and self esteem for money. Obscene amounts of money. That is what they are really all about, not healing people. I am not helping them get rich, f*ck them. There are alot of things about me that one of those doctors would probably consider abnormal, but f*ck that. I like the way I am, and I don't need someone who thinks he or she knows what is good for me telling me I need to change and take drugs.
Amplive

Postby Amplive » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks for pointing out the one flaw in the anti psychiatry movement; the support it garners from lunatics who don't want to get commited when they've givven all the money they used to pay shrinks off with to their crazay 'church'.

Sorry, had to do it...:cartmanlaugh:

But one of the first thing I ever heard about them was their anti-psychiatry stance, so I thought they were pretty cool because of that. Of course, now I know better, but I do believe in not throwing money and dope at children to keep them quite.

While I'm thinking of it, did anyone ever see that episode of King of the Hill where they put Bobby on Ritalin? That was a funny one... I mean, it's not funny in reality, but it was on that show.
FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:32 pm

While I'm thinking of it, did anyone ever see that episode of King of the Hill where they put Bobby on Ritalin? That was a funny one... I mean, it's not funny in reality, but it was on that show.

That was surely one of their better episodes, I do think it's a little scary that we still use such meds today. :shock:
Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny

Postby Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:34 pm

I almost needed meds, but after a few talks we decided to just use therapy. :]
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 am

I almost needed meds, but after a few talks we decided to just use therapy. :]

I hate to act like a shrink and say things about you without even seeing your face but; you never even came close to needing Meds.
Nobody ever does, if they're given the right therapy.
Of course, meds might be quicker, but the long term benefits are zero; they decrease the likelyhood of a recovery from *some* mental illnesses almost exponentially.

If I have a problem, I have friends I can talk to

That's (simmilar to) the main reason I think the days of psychiatry are numbered; there are loads of (anonymous, so there's no chance of picking up a highly stigmatised lable that'll ruin you for life!) mental health forums online that let people talk about their problems with fellow sufferers, those that think in the same way as them, people who know what works for them and can recomend help. These places are only populated by people that want to get help, generally not those coerced into doing so, and it's basically free therapy for those friendless few who can't just talk it over with their mates, or talk to a mirror, great therapy alternatives themselves.
There are alot of things about me that one of those doctors would probably consider abnormal, but f*ck that. I like the way I am

The main reason I hate the idea of psyclogy so much is the way they force people to change who the are, to kill off their personalities when they threaten the sanitised society so beloved of shrinks. It's the psychiatrists I feel sorry for, because they probbably all have emotional difficulties, being so detatched from their patients and treating them so sub-humanly as many of them do.
Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny

Postby Mr_Jefferson_killed_Kenny » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:38 am

I got into AP Psych this year. :D
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:27 am

Great for you; just try not to let it give you a god complex or make you think you should medicate anyone that thinks or feels in any way differently from you and you'll learn a hell of a lot of useful stuff.
I'm pretty into the theory of psychiatry and almost chose it as an A-level (i might even do it for degree, not sure yet), it's just the way people apply it PISSES me off.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”