Day without an immigrant.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

gtaca2005

Day without an immigrant.

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:42 am

Well, the time is coming again for "A day without an immigrant".

In this "Strike", the immigrants stay home from school, work, and boycot all items and food. I personally don't think they are showing their love for America by halting its' economy. I just wanted to see what everyone els thinks of this stupid thing. :?

My view is, let the ones here stay, but require them to learn english. Strengthen the border, and make a program in Mexico to prepare them to come legally. If this stupid debate on immigration continues, I will be pissed off with the damn US leaders! It's not that hard for a solution, I just said one up there^^^. I know its not that simple, but it is a good plan to go on and work out the kinks. And please, no one say deport them all. You can't deport 12 million people. And as for the money they cost the state of California, don't even say it, watch the movie called "A Day Without A Mexican". Illegals cost the state 1 billion dollars, but it is estimated that they bring in 100 billion dollars! Do the math, thats 99 billion they bring in to California's agruculture industry, which is the biggest in the US.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:28 am

My view is, let the ones here stay, but require them to learn english

America can't function as a two language society, so I share your sentiment.
Unfortunately it'd be easier to teach all the English people Spanish than the other way round, seeing how many of these 'Immigrants' got over.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:01 pm

Just deport the ones that don't learn english. That way, we know that we have the best and most responsible ones here. Then I would be proud to call them Americans. :P
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:19 pm

Just deport the ones who don't have the papers they need for citizenship.

"But they keep coming back!"

So you do it again!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
soulsforsale5s

Postby soulsforsale5s » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:42 pm

That sucks, then we have to mow our own grass, raise our own children, and clean our own houses.

But seriously, there's no way to deport all of them. They just need to be documented. Then we deport the criminals, and give amnesty to the ones who work hard and contribute to society. Of course, there would have to be some conditions. I'd say they all have to learn English, they all have to pay a $3,000 - $5,000 fine, and maybe the men should have to do a year-long stint in the military.
"If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, set them on fire."
- George Carlin
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:23 am

Well Will, I like most of your comments, but this is one of the rare ones I disagree with. There is no way to deport 12 million people. :lol:
SP109

Postby SP109 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:16 am

it was proven that deporting every illegal immigrant would hurt our economy a lot more than help it. people who care about immigration are idiots.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:01 pm

SP109 wrote:it was proven that deporting every illegal immigrant would hurt our economy a lot more than help it. people who care about immigration are idiots.

You seen the movie called "A Day Without A Mexican", didn't you? :)

They take 1 billion a year from California, but in return, we get 100 billion. Thats 99 billion we get flowing through the economy, and we also get fruits and vegitables. I think thats a great investment with the 1 billion we spend on them "illegals". :wink:
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:
SP109 wrote:it was proven that deporting every illegal immigrant would hurt our economy a lot more than help it. people who care about immigration are idiots.

You seen the movie called "A Day Without A Mexican", didn't you? :)

They take 1 billion a year from California, but in return, we get 100 billion. Thats 99 billion we get flowing through the economy, and we also get fruits and vegitables. I think thats a great investment with the 1 billion we spend on them "illegals". :wink:

Meh, fruits and vegetables are a very good thing- I practically live off that stuff besides wheat products, seafood and rice...
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 pm

If your government really wanted to exclude immigrants, they'd introduce a points system and tighter security, like Australia.

But then, even the Europeans who set sail for America 200 years ago, were immigrants. To deny anyone entry to the U.S., would be to go against what makes America, America.
Email notifications do matter, people.
SP109

Postby SP109 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:47 am

exactly why it's stupid for people to get all butthurt about immigrants. we were all immigrants at some point. i never saw that movie a day without a mexican or whatever, but i've seen lots of studies that say that if we deported every illegal immigrant it would hurt the us economy terribly.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:15 pm

The current flux of immigrants from Mexico and other Latin American countries isn't any different from past surges of immigrants from Ireland or Germany or Scandinavia or wherever. Here in Milwaukee, we easily have the largest population of Spanish speakers in Wisconsin. There are Spanish neighborhoods, Spanish newspapers, a Telemundo affiliate, Brewers relief pitcher Francisco Cordero does TV commercials for a local cable company in Spanish; my grandma's church even holds Spanish masses every week.

But 130 years ago, Milwaukee had it's Polish neighborhoods, it's Italian neighborhoods, it's Irish neighborhoods, it's German neighborhoods; each with their own newspapers and churches and languages and popular culture. It took a couple generations, but all of those ethnicities were adopted into America and added to the flavor of this city. The same will be true of recent Latin American immigrants.

The only real problem with illegal immigration has been the ability of employers to get away with paying illegal immigrants lower wages and offering fewer benefits than they could to legal US citizens. This is a problem of enforcement of existing laws and a problem of denying/intimidating workers from unionizing.

You read it! You can't unread it!
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:20 pm

[quote="SP109":04619]exactly why it's stupid for people to get all butthurt about immigrants. we were all immigrants at some point. i never saw that movie a day without a mexican or whatever, but i've seen lots of studies that say that if we deported every illegal immigrant it would hurt the us economy terribly.[/quote:04619]

Yep. I'll just qoute myself.

[quote:04619]Illegals cost the state 1 billion dollars, but it is estimated that they bring in 100 billion dollars! Do the math, thats 99 billion they bring in to California's agruculture industry, which is the biggest in the US.[/quote:04619]
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:14 am

triplemultiplex wrote:The only real problem with illegal immigration has been the ability of employers to get away with paying illegal immigrants lower wages and offering fewer benefits than they could to legal US citizens. This is a problem of enforcement of existing laws and a problem of denying/intimidating workers from unionizing.

But, did not the Irish have problems with getting jobs 100 years ago? Most businesses had signs saying things like "no blacks, no Irish", but they worked the rubbish jobs to support their families and keep them in the States, the land of opportunity. And it worked.

As my own Austrian migrant Nanna says "Needs must, and determination gets you far in life".
Email notifications do matter, people.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:38 am

Hmm, another discussion I should probably know better than to get involved in, but can't help it because I do have something to say about it. Illegal immigration is most likely yet another of the many alarmist issues that people get their panties into a bunch over. Illegals are fallaciously blamed for everything, and I mean everything bad that goes on, including unemployment, crime, drugs, health care costs, terrorism, you name it.

The fact of the matter is that most illegals come here, not to go on crime sprees or flood the streets with cocaine, but looking for work and seeking better lives for themselves and their families. (Wow, what a bunch of insidious bastards, huh?) The last thing they would do would be to draw attention to themselves by committing other crimes once they're here. Undocumented workers are by now too thoroughly integrated into the US economy; attempting to remove them all is not a realistic or economically feasible solution. If you deport them, they'll come right back; it's an exercise in futility.

I could go on, but TIME ran a fairly good cover story on the issue a couple months back.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 43,00.html

Of all the solutions I've heard, this one makes the most sense. To sum it up:

1. Make the illegals pay fines for entering the country without proper documentation.
2. Send them to ESL classes. Most of them are aware of the fact that learning English is the road to success in the US, and many try to learn it anyway.
3. Send them back to live in their countries of origin for a year so that they can qualify for their green cards. Then they can come back legitimately.

And by the way, president Bush's proposed border fence is completely idiotic. It's a 2,000 mile border, and they want to cover it with a 700 mile fence that anyone with a pair of wire cutters could get through in minutes? They're probably going to end up having to hire illegal immigrants just to get the job done cheaply. :D

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”