Gay Marriage

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

soulsforsale5s

Gay Marriage

Postby soulsforsale5s » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:01 am

What are your feelings on gay marriage? Legalize it? Keep it outlawed? Burn all the gays at the stake (Oh, wait, Jerry Falwell's dead)?

My feeling is that government has no right to tell people how to live their lives, as long as it's not hurting anybody else. Gay marriage affects nobody except the two people getting married. If Bob and Suzie, two random, made-up strangers to you from Bumfuck, Tennessee decided to get married, it would not have any effect on you. In the same regard, if Bob married Larry, you would not even know about it, much less have it impact your life.

But that's just my opinion.
"If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, set them on fire."
- George Carlin
swellman7

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby swellman7 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:09 am

soulsforsale5s wrote:My feeling is that government has no right to tell people how to live their lives, as long as it's not hurting anybody else. Gay marriage affects nobody except the two people getting married. If Bob and Suzie, two random, made-up strangers to you from Bumfuck, Tennessee decided to get married, it would not have any effect on you. In the same regard, if Bob married Larry, you would not even know about it, much less have it impact your life.

My opinion also. Just let people do what they want. It has no effect on the rest of society, so why should we care?
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:41 am

As long as it's adult and consenting, I have no problem with it. It doesn't harm anyone, therefore it's not an issue of morals. The heart of gay marriage has to do with the rights of couples, such as inheritance or visitation, which marriage provides but civil unions do not. There are two possible ways to solve this though. The first would be to simply legalize same sex marriage. The second would be to extend these rights into civil unions; let the government handle civil unions and religious institutions handle marriage. Then if a same sex couple wishes to get their union sanctified, there are churches that can be found that will do it for them.

Here's the odd part though. Marriage? Aside from the above, why in the world would gay couples want to condemn themselves to that kind of fate? :lol:
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:55 am

I am bi, so you can probably guess what my thoughts on the subject are.
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:03 am

Personally I do not believe we have the right to tell someone they CAN'T be happy, which is what we are doing if we oppose gay marriage.. we are denying happiness to certain people. That's just what I think though.. I'm sure some of you probably think I am completely insane for believing it is wrong to stop someone from being happy.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 pm

I personally like the idea of civil unions..........wait, okay I think I'll stay out of this one. :?
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

No, that is the opposite of manly.
Guess_Who_I_Am_Not

Postby Guess_Who_I_Am_Not » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:48 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:I am bi, so you can probably guess what my thoughts on the subject are.

me too lol
albino.black.sheep wrote:My cat ran away with an extra strong mint on his head.

xx_emuteeth_xx wrote:shut up douche im not retaded
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 pm

I'm all for the equal rights and happiness of human beings. If gays want to get married, just let them. We're not perfect, so why should we point fingers and judge others?
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
Zubby

Postby Zubby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 am

I think the logical thing to do is have the government get out of the marriage business.
Pass legislation that says that the government can only grant civil unions, and these civil unions are available to any two consenting adults who want them. Civil unions would be the only type of contract recognized by the government.

People currently married could easily apply for their civil union contract, based on their existing marriage.

Churches could still perform marriages, and be as inclusive or exclusive as they see fit. For it to be legal under the law, however, the couple would still need the civil union contract from the government.

This would allow all people to have equal legal rights of a civil union, and would remove (ok, lessen) the morality arguments brought up by religious groups. It also puts all couples, gay, straight or whatever, on equal footing under hte law.
Zubby
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:01 am

Guess_Who_I_Am_Not wrote:
M00ndragon69 wrote:I am bi, so you can probably guess what my thoughts on the subject are.

me too lol

Guess_Who_I_am_Not is bi? Now there is a surprise..LOL..
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:39 pm

[quote="swellman7":031e3][quote="soulsforsale5s":031e3]My feeling is that government has no right to tell people how to live their lives, as long as it's not hurting anybody else. Gay marriage affects nobody except the two people getting married. If Bob and Suzie, two random, made-up strangers to you from Bumfuck, Tennessee decided to get married, it would not have any effect on you. In the same regard, if Bob married Larry, you would not even know about it, much less have it impact your life.

But that's just my opinion.[/quote:031e3]

My opinion also. Just let people do what they want. It has no effect on the rest of society, so why should we care?[/quote:031e3]

Ditto.

I am also bi, although I don't like to label myself with that tag. I just like having sex with all the pretty people. :D
Email notifications do matter, people.
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:40 pm

albino.black.sheep wrote:
swellman7 wrote:
soulsforsale5s wrote:My feeling is that government has no right to tell people how to live their lives, as long as it's not hurting anybody else. Gay marriage affects nobody except the two people getting married. If Bob and Suzie, two random, made-up strangers to you from Bumfuck, Tennessee decided to get married, it would not have any effect on you. In the same regard, if Bob married Larry, you would not even know about it, much less have it impact your life.

My opinion also. Just let people do what they want. It has no effect on the rest of society, so why should we care?

Ditto.

I am also bi, although I don't like to label myself with that tag. I just like having sex with all the pretty people. :D

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

:twisted:
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
cheesypoofs857

Postby cheesypoofs857 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:
Guess_Who_I_Am_Not wrote:

me too lol

Guess_Who_I_am_Not is bi? Now there is a surprise..LOL..
Ahehehehehehe *has good memory*
Someone wrote:Lies! None of the guys on here have seen real women!
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:06 pm

It doesn't harm anyone, therefore it's not an issue of morals.

wow, this quote really interested me. I'm staying away from the original point of the thread here. I've often heard that the only "moral issues" are those which involve human suffering. As you have no doubt presumed, i disagree. Can an action be considered "wrong" when it seemingly does no harm to any human? It can. Here's an example: If a husband cheats on his wife, and his wife is ignorant of this action, has the husband done wrong? I don't believe anyone would say no. Yet the action causes no human suffering. Strange?
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:09 pm

plk12345 wrote:
It doesn't harm anyone, therefore it's not an issue of morals.

wow, this quote really interested me. I'm staying away from the original point of the thread here. I've often heard that the only "moral issues" are those which involve human suffering. As you have no doubt presumed, i disagree. Can an action be considered "wrong" when it seemingly does no harm to any human? It can. Here's an example: If a husband cheats on his wife, and his wife is ignorant of this action, has the husband done wrong? I don't believe anyone would say no. Yet the action causes nobody to suffer.

Hello again.

If it doesn't affect or hurt you, or in fact is a problem/situation that has nothing to do with you, what's the problem?
Email notifications do matter, people.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”