Are you anti-American?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

tweekedkenny
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Re: Are you anti-American?

Postby tweekedkenny » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:35 am

gtaca2005 wrote:
Big-Will wrote:
germanguy wrote:Radioactivity: GERMAN HAHN / Leitner

W-we'll give you that one. :D

American car commercials about German cars praise German engineering quite often. :)


I know!

Remeber the one with the white German accented guy acting gangster, so funny!

Here is what he said: "German engineering, yeahhhaaaaaa."

(I'm sure you know how it sounds the way I wrote it.)

I think BRMBug is the one that has the animated GIF of that guy going "Oh Snap!".
Image
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Postby BRMBug » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:58 am

V-Dub ads. Search for "Unpimp" on YouTube. Too tired to do it myself naw.
germanguy
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:38 am

Wow!

Postby germanguy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:48 am

I am quiet amazed how you US-guys took my very harsh commend so relaxed!

Great!

That is why I love the US - citizens.

Do you know how the Chinese people would react to statements like that? I don't know if you ever took a look to a top international university this days: NO one wants to work with a chinese student together - because the Chinese are already so selfassure without ANY abilty to take any critics.

The Chinese REALLY DO think that they are the greatest nation on earth, the greatest military power and the best economy in the universe. Go ask a Chinese elite-student about that: you will get those answers!

So: I would prefer a 100% US-dominated world a million times more than a chinese dominted world (which will come - no matter what we do now)

I would prefer a US dominted world a million times more than a world ruled by Russia (although many western-europeans like Russia much more than the USA), or the middle east! I prefer freedom and democracy.

So that point is clear...

And for Germany: Coming from Europe - with over 6 weeks of holiday every year for every worker guaranteed by law - has at least one positive effect: you can go on vacation very often an absorb every culture you want.


So the Germans are quite sure, which country loves them and which hates them.

As a German it is easy:

1. Don't go to England - they think you are a NAZI
2. Don't go to Holland while there is a soccer world cup: they will make fun of you.
3. Go to Italy - they love you
4. France hated you until the 80ies but now they love us - allthough they think we don't have any style

And so on...


We KNOW that many coutries DO hate us, though.

In fact we have the very important German "Angst" (fear).

It is the Angst that dominates us!

10 years ago we had that fear that we would lose our position as the most important export nation in the world.

We had the Angst of losing our incomes and having more than 10% of the people without work in Germany.

But we did it! We are still the number one export nation - every nation wants to buy German products. We could not believe it at all. But now we do fear the Chinese...And the Angst is back again.

The tipical German is completely without self-confidence.
He works extremely hard because of his Angst about everything.

Back to the US and South Park: There ARE many US-Citizens that are asking this question: "Why do they hate us?" now.

Well, it is funny: The world hates you since a very long time - but it was the internet and youtube that opened up your eyes, I guess.

In fact youtube is a far greater shock for the USA than for any other country in the world (as I explained for the German awareness of their international standard and how we are percepted internationally).

But you guys are THINKING now! And that is great!

You are cheering for Ron Paul - and that is great, too!

I believe that the USA will do a turn in their politics and their perception of other culture... We just have to wait.

And perhaps more independent TV Shows and broadcasters will come and help doing that VERY important education.

But as I said: We would prefer a US dominated world (with all those terrible consequences) a million times more, than a world that is dominated by islam.

Cheers from Hamburg,

Sven

PS: Don't forget the German philosophers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

Unpimp my ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiuUIZyyH7A
"Meine Damen und Herren,
das Gebäude ist umstellt!
Kommen Sie mit erhobenen
Händen heraus!"
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Postby BRMBug » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Image
strumpfhose
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:06 pm

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm surprised by the fact that there aren't any USA-bashing posts in this thread :shock: I almost skipped this topic because I was so sure there would just be a hell of a big fight going on in here. The only one who's disagreed USA's greatness even slightly has been the Germanguy and he was totally reasonable and had clever arguments. Where are all the retarded close-minded assh*les you usually meet in this kind of threads?

My view on most of world's things is pretty apathetic in fact. I can't bother to be a big activist with strong opinions to fight for and to argue with people about stuff like that. If I disagree or dislike something that has to do with idologies or politics, I just try to live with it or ignore it.

I'm not a bit US fan and there's some things deepseeded in its whole culture and view of life that just annoy me to death, but doesn't make me HATE the country. American people often act in a way that seems kinda superficial and fake (as the whole media in there too, including the cheezy newsreporters). It's just a cultural thing. We Scandinavians don't laugh or smile if we don't mean it. And we don't speak if we have nothing to say.

Maybe I'm getting too negative here, and you'll probably get me for this, but actually I think the Earth would be A LOT healthier and live longer without the USA but that's not something that really can be changed, being realistic.

I'm not anti-American but I'm just kind of bummed out by a few things about it. I'm totally eurocentric. I love Europes variety of culture and history and mythologies and languages and its realism and down-to-earthness. I'd never live anywhere else.

I've never been to the USA but I'll go to a school trip to California for a couple of weeks next friday and I'm totally excited about it. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. And must be a bit of a cultural shock too...

I go to school in Denmark (I'm Finnish, though) with many Icelanders and they seem to all be very anti-American. None of them were willing to join our school trip there. They'll go to Berlin or Amsterdam themselves instead...
germanguy
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:38 am

Postby germanguy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:22 pm

Hello, strumpfhose!

What a nasty German word for a nickname!

Well, I think Europe is quiet in line with your statement.

Most of us do think the same about the USA.

What is new is the fact that South America is turning away from their big-brother - and I perfectly understand why...

-----

And as you said before: I am very positive about this board and this thread - but no wonder: THIS is south park, and not a crappy show from FOX.

Do you remeber the 501 show: Osama Bin Laden?

Matt and Trey were the FIRST to bring all this debate to the point (and it was a point in time when the USA was very patriotic):

"It is because you don't even KNOW that one third of the world hates you, why they hate you!"


This statement is 6 years old now - before Iraq and all that Bush-Crap.

What more could we say?

This is why I love SP so much.

Comedy Central should be very grateful to have two guys like Matt and Trey in their line.

They have a VERY bright perspective of the world - especially when you realize where they came from...this little cold town in the Rockies...

Germany is looking forward to the next 3 years of SP.
"Meine Damen und Herren,
das Gebäude ist umstellt!
Kommen Sie mit erhobenen
Händen heraus!"
strumpfhose
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:06 pm

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:26 pm

germanguy wrote:Hello, strumpfhose!

What a nasty German word for a nickname!


Isn't it just! :cartmanlaugh:

I just got a random strumpfhose-perv Swiss guy after me on msn because I have that nasty nickname in my e-mail address as well...

germanguy wrote:
Do you remeber the 501 show: Osama Bin Laden?

Matt and Trey were the FIRST to bring all this debate to the point (and it was a point in time when the USA was very patriotic):

"It is because you don't even KNOW that one third of the world hates you, why they hate you!"


Exactly. Even the most anti-American Americans (because there are those ones too) just CAN'T see it from a completely objective perspective because they have grown up in that atmosphere. They live it no matter how much they hate it. Therefore no American can completely understand WHY does 1/3 of the world hate them. I don't think I belong to that 1/3 but I can well understand those who do.
Jay C
Posts: 4299
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:33 pm

Postby Jay C » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 pm

I'm not anti-American, I'm just anti-stupid.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Mr. Hat_DX27
Posts: 3616
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Disagreeing with some of a country’s leader’s decisions and ideals doesn’t mean that the entire country itself is bad. I’m not a very political person, so I have no real reason to hate America, though I do have a problem with some things, particularly they’re push on culture and all that jazz. Oh, and their censorship system blows. :P Still isn’t the same as hating them. Plus I know some awesome people from the US! :D
Image
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18727
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:01 pm

germanguy wrote:Matt and Trey were the FIRST to bring all this debate to the point (and it was a point in time when the USA was very patriotic):

"It is because you don't even KNOW that one third of the world hates you, why they hate you!"

Well, even if we did know, what's that gonna change? We just can't get worked up about it. We could think about it, try to make some changes, but we'd probably still be hated by a third of the world. It comes with the territory.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
forumpowerkeeper
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Postby forumpowerkeeper » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:07 pm

btw your sig what does it mean
Canada sucks
Kyle the Skeptic
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:52 pm

The rest of the world hates America because America is there and involved, and in any case, US interaction with other nations is going to be a double-edged sword. Take Afghanistan for example, as in the Osama bin Laden episode. The US was there, "liberating" them from the Taliban regime and trying to drive Al-Qaeda out, and assuming that we'd be universally loved and appreciated for our efforts. However as that episode also showed, a lot of civilians were getting caught in the crossfire and having their homes, friends, and relatives blown to bits.

Also, I don't think anyone hates America's freedoms. Even in Arab countries where American foreign policy is despised, there are people who would want to come here to attend college.
Craig-and-Clyde
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:34 pm

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:17 pm

BRMBug wrote:Image


I think this guys is Swedish lol :roll:

Anyway, I have my issues with American politics and the news organizations. It seems we never took the advise of Roosevelt when he said "you have nothing to fear but fear itself." The politicians and as a result the new media live off of fear. We have had constant military spending since WW2 with a new boogey man every decade or so with Nazis, Communists, terrorists, and radical Islam. We feed off fear and every topic on the news is "how this will directly effect YOU!" It can't be helped that some of it sinks into our everyday thinking and skew the way we look at the rest of the world.

When I went abroad in college and watched news reports they weren't nearly as dire as they are here in the US and there is a lot more in depth coverage of international events and the younger people seemed more informed.
I don't think i'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams. And then I always get woken up in the morning by the sound of my own screams. Do you think i'm unhappy?
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Postby BRMBug » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Yes he is.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001780/bio
Currently resides in L.A.




Am I the only one who finds it odd that I drive a German car that was made in Mexico?

And then, a buddy of mine traded his Mexican made German car in for a Japanese car that's made in Montana. (I believe.)
gtaca2005
Posts: 3915
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:36 am

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:37 pm

Well thats what i mean, I know people hate our politics and things like that, but it's the ones who HATE us I am mad at and after. Believe me, I hate how our laws and government are going right now too. As for our censorship blowing, I totally agree! We can watch a person get blown to bits, and someone having sex (censored but you can tell whats going on) on a national FAMILY channel, but you can't say f*ck or assh*le. (You're going to love this. When they censor assh*le, they say the ass part, and beep on the hole part. WTF!) So yeah, thats what I mean. And strumpfhose, When you come to California (Where I live), you will most probably NOT be in culture shock, Californians are the most reasonable people in the US, because we are the most diverse. :wink:
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests