Family Guy: Star Wars - Empire striking back?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Neny

Postby Neny » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:52 pm

wow that really shows alot doesn't it....hmmm :shock: :|
Zubby

Postby Zubby » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:46 pm

Those of you who said that Robot Chicken's Star Wars was better was right.

I watched about 20 min.of Family Guy then turned it off. It was mediocre at best.
They didn't do anything with it at all. It was like watching a 5th grader's play based on Star Wars. No parody, no humor. They just reenacted scenes.

How boring.
Zubby
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:24 pm

I liked it, personally. Some jokes were hit and miss but it was generally a fun show.
germanguy

Postby germanguy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:48 pm

FOX pulled it from Youtube!!!

Verdammter Dreck!

Mhmmm...the reenacting WAS the fun - they pointed out some facts the real hardcore Star Wars fans were thinking about for decades.

For example: The Death Star vulnerability on such an easy fact, all those little points that won't fit into the logic of the plot.

A little bit like "Austin Powers" on 007.

They did quiet a great job - loved it.

Zubby wrote:Those of you who said that Robot Chicken's Star Wars was better was right.

I watched about 20 min.of Family Guy then turned it off. It was mediocre at best.
They didn't do anything with it at all. It was like watching a 5th grader's play based on Star Wars. No parody, no humor. They just reenacted scenes.

How boring.
"Meine Damen und Herren,
das Gebäude ist umstellt!
Kommen Sie mit erhobenen
Händen heraus!"
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Zubby wrote:Those of you who said that Robot Chicken's Star Wars was better was right.

How boring.

Agreed... You can get the Robot Chicken clips online, too. The Family Guy stuff is harder to find (at least for me)...

I'll refrain from going on, I'm a bit worried that I'll go off on some random tangent and ramble until there's the 'Great Wall of Text' standing there...
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
AngusMcTavish

Re: Family Guy: Star Wars - Empire striking back?

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:49 am

I liked both the FG and RC versions. But you can't really compare the two, because they go different directions.

Robot Chicken's ep was just bits and pieces of aspects, mostly from earlier eps, thrown together, and didn't tell a particular story. Be that as it may, it was still funny as hell.

FG's ep was great because it stayed true to Episode IV, with a few references thrown in for the fun of it. My favorite scenes:

As they jump to light speed, Han/Peter finds these jumps creepy. We see why, as space turns into the 1970s intro to Doctor Who, with Tom Baker's Doctor taking form!

When John Williams gets smoked by the Stormtroopers, Luke/Chris moans about having the score now composed by Danny Elfman.

And this I discovered by accident one day: As the rebels attack the Death Star, one Stormtrooper lets out a certain scream as he's blasted backwards. That scream is also in all Star Wars films, along with other movies since the '50s! Do a YouTube search for the Wilhelm Scream and you'll see what I mean.
Sonic Man78

Re:

Postby Sonic Man78 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:56 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
tweekedkenny wrote:I'm just surprised that they could make a full FG episode without any cutaways.

They've done it before. The Griffin Family History.

The Star Wars episode was awesome. Hearing the original music was great (one of the advantages of being on FOX; that didn't cost 'em a thing). It was the most visually stunning episode ever. Nothing they've done before even comes close.

I just got a kick out of Peter wanting to take that couch with him. A classic FG style joke woven into "the greatest story ever told".
Anyone else see Roger in the Mos Isley bar scene?

Then at the end with Peter & Chris arguing about Robot Chicken; that was just great. Especially considering the amount of voices Seth MacFarlane has done on Seth Green's other show.

Speaking of FOX Sunday, I'd like to give my applause for Stephen Colbert's guest voice.

The Star Wars special was good for a Family Guy episode, considering that there wasn't a single cutaway in the entire thing. If they did less cutaways to their episodes, it'd be fare more enjoyable.

I did notice Roger in the Mos Isley bar scene! I also noticed Home Movies' own, Coach John McGirk as well.
"Bullies beware! The Hero Signal means you'll be hurting now!"
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 pm

^ Bender was there, too.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:59 am

I finally saw most of the FG version Sunday night. I laughed uncontrollably at the Quag3PO/Princess Lois "And Leia is getting Laaaaaarger" bit. That's probably the only time I've laughed that hard at anything they've done, and it wasn't even theirs.
I also got a bit of a kick out of the Chris/Peter discussion at the end of the ep.
gtaca2005

Re: Re:

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:03 am

Sonic Man78 wrote:If they did less cutaways to their episodes, it'd be fare more enjoyable.

Well, I laugh at the cut-aways, just because I know its coming. Like I watched one 2 day ago, and they did a cut-away to a Star Wars thing, and I laughed, not at the cut-away, but the fact they had a cut-away right when I said to myself, "Oh my god, here comes a cut-away.".
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Sonic Man78

Postby Sonic Man78 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:55 pm

I guess it's all in the timing. Cutaways are good if they're not overused.
"Bullies beware! The Hero Signal means you'll be hurting now!"
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:27 am

I liked it. Red October among the fighters was fun to see. :D
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
REMEMBERMEWHENIWAS

Postby REMEMBERMEWHENIWAS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Family Guy sucks balls! They use the same joke over and over and over.
The Ice Cream Man

Postby The Ice Cream Man » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:30 pm

It was okay. My issue was that it fell fate to the same thing all new Family Guy episodes are doing, taking a joke and stretching it until it's no longer funny at all. Like the couch. I loved that joke but do we really need to see them trying to move it for 5 minutes? How about the John Williams orchestra or the creepy old guy's song? Those two weren't even funny in the first place.

Next, some of the jokes just sucked. It did have some good ones. "I'm Han Solo, space pilot and the only actor whose career isn't ruined by this movie." as well as the Danny Elfman one and numerous other one liners. Better than the average new Family Guy episode but still rather weak.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:37 pm

The deal with Magic Johnson (not real voice, obviously) explaining about taking down the Death Star was probably the most boring part of the story, but otherwise, I liked it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”