A Generation Lost. The 90's.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

MaxwellsSilverHammer

Re: A genoration lost. The 90's.

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:35 pm

DoctorWho? wrote:I was born in 1990- the 90s were the best years of my life. Back then, I could watch Rockos Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy and not worry about it "warping my fragile little mind". Television (except for Lost and South Park and Futurama) sucks nowadays.
I also remember my schools obsession with Pokemon. If you didn't have somethign Pokemon related- you were a dork! That was bad for me because I was the only kid in school who wasn't into the Pokemon craze- I was into Harry Potter (and still am!).

LMAO, I was the same about the Pokemon thing. I never got why all the people in my class were walking around going "PIKA! PIKA!" all the damn time. It actually made me not want to get into Pokemon just because everyone else was into it. I was a total dork anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered whether or not I'd gone along with the trend. :P

And ahhh, man.. Ren and Stimpy was my favourite when I was a little kid. I can still quote so much of that show now. That and Darkwing Duck. Ahh, man, that was AMAZING.. it inspired a lot of my drawings as a kid, too. XD I have both of those shows on DVD now. :P
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:23 am

The only thing worse than the Pokemon craze was the POG craze. I was in 7th or 8th grade, and I remember some kids getting beaten up for their POGs. wtf?
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:00 am

BRMBug wrote:The only thing worse than the Pokemon craze was the POG craze. I was in 7th or 8th grade, and I remember some kids getting beaten up for their POGs. wtf?

WTF indeed. Reminds me of when people would get in actual fights over gel pens in sixth grade. :?
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:33 am

Anyone who read comic books in the '90s would remember a few interesting storylines.

The "Death" of Superman, brought on after an epic battle with a monster dubbed "Doomsday." They made an animated DVD movie on it just recently.

"Knightfall." A strange new bad guy named Bane let the monkeys loose from Arkham in an attempt to study Batman's moves, and when the Dark Knight got all tired out, he gets his back broken by Bane. However, a new guy takes over during Bats' absence, and brings in a bizarre new look.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:39 am

Speaking of 90's things, is that lady with the hole in her neck still alive? The one on the smoking commercials? Sad but true, that was one of the funniest things ever. :lol:

Edit:
Here is a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQ28I5k89g

Here is a picture.
[sorry, please use a proper image host for this picture.]
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:32 am

My favorite anti-smoking ad from the '90s was out of Canada. We have CBC on our cable.

A girl in her teens is sitting in front of her mirror and lights one up. A huge puff of smoke obscures the picture for a second or two, and when it clears, you see her replaced by a woman who looks like she's 80 or 90.

"Smoking--it will suck the life out of you."

Clever stuff!
wendy28

Postby wendy28 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:17 am

ah, lets not get into anti-smoking things here. *inhales and blows out a huge cloud*

i remember the whole pokemon-thing, though. i loved that as a kid.... now my brother sometimes watches that, and then i find myself sitting next to him watching pikachu and its adventures....
the ninties were sweet, though. i think up till now the first 4 grades were pretty much the happiest time in my life.... *stops before it gets to melodramatically*
favorite character: kyle!

Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:26 am

As far as video gaming goes, the '90s marked the introduction of the Sony PlayStation. Yep, while Mario was enjoying the second decade of popularity with Nintendo, and Sonic basking in his first with Sega, Sony started up and brought us Crash Bandicoot, the original Grand Theft Auto, and whatever else you want to add to the list.

Speaking of Sega, didn't they stop making consoles late in the '90s? I know the Dreamcast was their last foray into that market.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 am

Yes, Dreamcast was released in the US on September 9, 1999. (9/9/99.... Coincidence?) Sonic Adventures...... greatest Sonic ever! :D
talkjawking100

Postby talkjawking100 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:42 pm

One of the best memories was going to Blockbuster and being able to get a VHS tape and a N64 game.

And, of course, we can't forget one of the best parts of the '90s: South Park's debut!
Save the whales, motherf--ker.
DoctorWho?

Postby DoctorWho? » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:56 am

AngusMcTavish wrote:
Paul McGann made an okay Doctor, but he would improve later, in an online version of an incomplete '79 story, "Shada." And Eric Roberts playing his archenemy, the Master? Guh, no wonder he got eaten in SP!

David Tennant is practically the best Doctor so far. I have never seen the older episodes, but I want to. Till then, I have the hots for Tennant.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:10 am

DoctorWho? wrote:
AngusMcTavish wrote:
Paul McGann made an okay Doctor, but he would improve later, in an online version of an incomplete '79 story, "Shada." And Eric Roberts playing his archenemy, the Master? Guh, no wonder he got eaten in SP!

David Tennant is practically the best Doctor so far. I have never seen the older episodes, but I want to. Till then, I have the hots for Tennant.

^ I may have to PM you on this subject, DW, just so we can keep the thread relevant.

Back to the '90s vidgames, I was retrying some of my old PS1 games on my PS3, seeing if they still play well. Some don't quite get all the music in at certain levels, but others seem to be fine.

Spyro the Dragon--Beautifully done, and often hilarious.
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill--Come get some!
Parappa the Rapper--Interesting concept, but the new controllers don't keep up well with the pace you need to go at times.

Maybe I just haven't quite broken them in yet.

SP Rally--This is where the occasional music glitch comes in, certain tracks.
MTV Music Generator--Where the hell is the rest of the sound? You get half the feed!

I also have the original GTA and London '69.

Yes, I know my taste in games is kinda scattered.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 am

AngusMcTavish wrote:
Spyro the Dragon--Beautifully done, and often hilarious.
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill--Come get some!
Parappa the Rapper--Interesting concept, but the new controllers don't keep up well with the pace you need to go at times.

Maybe I just haven't quite broken them in yet.

SP Rally--This is where the occasional music glitch comes in, certain tracks.
MTV Music Generator--Where the hell is the rest of the sound? You get half the feed!

I also have the original GTA and London '69.

Yes, I know my taste in games is kinda scattered.

I used to play ALL of those games! :P

Speaking of GTAs, it is weird that I love GTA so much, that it is my user name, and yet I have never played GTA 1969 London. :lol: But I played all others, and even know the master code on GTA 1, "THE sh*t". (Yes, that is really the code.)

I still got Spyro 3 and Duke Nukem: TTK on my PSP. :) You can hack the PSP to play almost any PS1 game. :cartmanlaugh:

Anyone remember Brave Fencer Musashi? It was to PS1 what Zelda is to Nintendo.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:02 am

You can probably find emulators for other systems too through the PSP homebrew sites. :P

90's games are awesome, and addictingly fun! Back then SUPER ACCELERATED GRAPHICS were not common, and gameplay was emphasized.

Here's a random list of 90's games that I think are awesome.

-Sonic the Hedgehog series
-Super Mario 64 (most of the SNES Mario games were adaptations of 80's Mario games (Super Mario Allstars))
-StarFox 64 (though the SNES game was fun too)
-Legend of Zelda series, especially the N64 games
-Kirby SuperStar
-GoldenEye 64
-System Shock series
-Bubsy the Cat series
-Dynamite Heady
-Gunstar Heroes
-Comix Zone
-StarCraft
-Descent series
-Classic Mortal Kombat series
-South Park 64, Rally was ok too
-Crash Bandicoot series
-Spyro the Dragon
-Half-Life
-Super Smash Brothers
-Final Fantasy VII, though I have played through good bit of VI (III in North America), VII's my favorite.
-Army Men series
-Tiny Tank
-Twisted Metal
-Doom
-Wolfenstein 3D
-Duke Nuken 3D
-Assorted Marvel Comics games

among many others!
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:52 pm

God I wish I hadn't sold my N64. I rarely used it and only had one game for it, but still it'd be nice to have.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”