What instrument do you play?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

MaxwellsSilverHammer

Re: What instrument do you play?

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 am

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:
Schantrac wrote:
MaxwellsSilverHammer wrote: Is anyone else on here a composer?

Sort of.. I do random shizz on FL, it's too disorganized though. I'm trying to get better as well as get some more ideas for it.

SCHAN!!!

Your first few things sounded like they could have come from Music For The Minority (REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WIERD), but they still had their special charm to them. Your newer stuff is freaking neat. It's not so disorganized as it is contemporary and experimental. And you handle the orchestral instruments really well! Don't underestimate yourself, dude. :)

Seriously!! Stop with that. You know your music is beautiful. :) You have a thing for that spooky, creepy stuff.. even my mum thinks you should write for movies. :)
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:27 am

MaxwellsSilverHammer wrote:That's awesome! I kind of do both.. I don't really play other people's music that much on the piano, though, unless it's my own arrangement.. since the way I taught myself, I can only play in my own style. Plus, I have a hard time reading piano music. :? I dunno, it's more classically-influenced than Schan's -- even when I write a techno song, it's classically-influenced somehow. Click the SoundClick link in my sig and you can hear some of my stuff.. some are made on FL and some are just recordings of me improv-ing at the piano. I'd like to hear some of your compositions, too, dude.. that sounds amazing. What kind of styles do you write?

Let's see. Lots of electronic stuff. I have influences, but I try to be as original as I can. I often try to find new ways to tweak out my "style" after a while, often by looking for new instrument plugins, or ways to implement the ones I already have. My stuff ranges from weird sounding atmospheric ambiance, weird sounding techno-ey stuff, industrial-sounding stuff, and lately I've been doing a good few orchestral sounding things too. I'm varied.

I have both a lot of original stuff, as well as covers of random video game music, as well as a few song remixes.

Click here to go to music folder on my remote site space to see all my stuffs. On the same site you can also find my signatures. :P

Here's my SoundClick, however it's not up to date. I've been lazy. XD I should also make some damn artwork, but I'll get around to it some day.

MaxwellsSilverHammer wrote:Perfect pitch?.. Like you can sing on key or something, or you can identify a note name without seeing the source? 'Cause I have that too.. xD

Yeah, that's it. :P
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am

Awesome! I've got a lot of influences too, but since I'm CONSTANTLY being exposed to classical, classical, and more classical due to my major, that's the influence that seems to come out the most lately. I get inspired by anything, though.. even random sounds I hear.. it doesn't have to be music. If a train whistle sounds in a chord or tone cluster that I really like, I can be inspired by that. I wrote a couple compositions based off of tornado sirens, too.

Mostly, I write these contemporary-classical improv pieces that often sound very much like each other, but I write electronica/techno-y stuff a lot as well, as well as just completely experimental things. I have a Putfile as well.. it's http://www.putfile.com/maxthespaztastic, and it has A LOT more stuff on it, if you would like to listen to that. ^^

I really like your music so far, Hatman. ^^ Would you be interested in doing any kind of a collab piece sometime? I love writing music by myself, but it's so cool to be able to write with other people as well. :D

Perfect pitch can be fun sometimes and annoying at other times. O.O Do you see colours with musical pitches/keys, too? Because B minor is unmistakably dark red. No matter what anyone else says. XD

EDIT: The first link.. which ones are yours and which are arrangements of other songs? Some are obvious and some aren't so much.. XD
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:18 am

Max, your stuff is pretty phat too. So far I think my favorite is Systematic Malfunction. Really, really catchy! I can tell you have a really musical mind, if you can get inspirations from tornado sirens. XD

I’m glad you likes my stuff. It’s become a lot easier for me since I’ve been doing it ever since 2004, as you can tell, since there is quite a fuckload of stuff there.

A lot of original ideas end up popping up randomly. Sometimes I’ll load the program up and then load up an instrument and start playing random notes. Then something clicks and I have a foundation for a new piece.

Since I’ve been working on this kinda thing for so long, I’ve expanded beyond the normal set of generators that FL comes packaged with (but I’m sure Schan has shown you that kinda stuff too), so I can often always conjure up some kind of weird sound. My personal favorites of the VST’s are Absynth and the Arp2600V. :P

I’d be happy to do random stuff with you. If you want, my MSN/AIM/YIM info is on my profile, so don’t be afraid to add me. I’m actually providing some synth tracks for my brother who’s doing a cover band thing right now, so I’m sort of into this right now. If you really want, you can send me a raw FLP of one of your songs and I can see if I can make some trippy remixed version, much like what I am doing with Schan’s "Bottles" song.

Again, f*cking great stuff. I'm gonna get to downloading your putfile stuff now! :D
candies

Postby candies » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 am

I formerly once in a while play a piano whenver I'd feel lamentable at school or at home. Piano isn't the only instrument I've played, I'm also is really associated to metal drums, too. :D
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:19 am

MaxwellsSilverHammer wrote: The first link.. which ones are yours and which are arrangements of other songs? Some are obvious and some aren't so much.. XD

My own arrangements look like the ones on SC. Covered arrangements often have the artist or respective game before it, separated with a "-" between two spaces. That's how you can tell. I should organize that a little better. :P
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:35 am

MaxwellsSilverHammer wrote:Hmm.. I sing and I play the piano, violin, and guitar (both acoustic and electric, though I tend to play the acoustic a bit more).

marvel_freak_42 wrote:As gay as this may sound, I want to learn how to compose symphonies. Like, how the f*ck did guys like Mozart and Beethoven think of that sh*t? That takes talent right there...

Bitchin'.

That doesn't sound "gay," lmao. I compose stuff all the time.. not amazing symphonies or anything, of course (though it'd be awesome to learn how to do that), but just whatever comes out of my head, and I usually either improv it on the piano or write it in FL Studio or something. Is anyone else on here a composer?

It's funny 'cause I get the melodies and rhythms in my head but I have no idea how to put them into a composition. Ex: I can imagine a violin player or a horn player playing a part a certain way, even though I have no idea how to play the instruments themselves. God, I need to learn... the sh*t in my head I come up with could be pretty good.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:39 am

marvel_freak_42 wrote:
MaxwellsSilverHammer wrote:Hmm.. I sing and I play the piano, violin, and guitar (both acoustic and electric, though I tend to play the acoustic a bit more).

marvel_freak_42 wrote:As gay as this may sound, I want to learn how to compose symphonies. Like, how the f*ck did guys like Mozart and Beethoven think of that sh*t? That takes talent right there...

Bitchin'.

That doesn't sound "gay," lmao. I compose stuff all the time.. not amazing symphonies or anything, of course (though it'd be awesome to learn how to do that), but just whatever comes out of my head, and I usually either improv it on the piano or write it in FL Studio or something. Is anyone else on here a composer?

It's funny 'cause I get the melodies and rhythms in my head but I have no idea how to put them into a composition. Ex: I can imagine a violin player or a horn player playing a part a certain way, even though I have no idea how to play the instruments themselves. God, I need to learn... the sh*t in my head I come up with could be pretty good.

Well...you could probably get some friends who plays those instruments to play out the music once you put it to paper... I'd try to help out if needed, but I'm not sure how to record my violin-playing except with the super-crappy computer Sound Recorder...

^ ^;
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:02 am

I used to play the cello but I got sick of lugging the damn thing around.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:23 am

Edduyasha wrote:Well...you could probably get some friends who plays those instruments to play out the music once you put it to paper... I'd try to help out if needed, but I'm not sure how to record my violin-playing except with the super-crappy computer Sound Recorder...

^ ^;

You can download Creative Mediasource, and with a good Microphone, make an MP3 recording.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:24 am

Right now, nothing.

I used to play piano and keyboards, acoustic guitar, and ukulele. I used to write silly songs - music and lyrics - but I didn't do anything more with them.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Thunderhorse

Postby Thunderhorse » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:32 am

I used to be a professional Air-Guitarist, but I'm out of practice. I now consider myself a decent Guitar-Heroist. I can play several songs acoustically, like "Bulls on Parade".

Seriously, I can't play any instrument. I am artistically impaired in many ways.
cody420

Postby cody420 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:10 pm

I play bass in a metalic grunge band I play some Electric guitar. We are being watch by alot of record labels frome seattle. So im happy.
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:09 am

BRMBug wrote:
Edduyasha wrote:Well...you could probably get some friends who plays those instruments to play out the music once you put it to paper... I'd try to help out if needed, but I'm not sure how to record my violin-playing except with the super-crappy computer Sound Recorder...

^ ^;

You can download Creative Mediasource, and with a good Microphone, make an MP3 recording.

I'll see. Perhaps I can weasel out the Computer Graphics microphone by buttering up my teacher...it shouldn't be so hard anyhow. I'm one of his teacher's pets.

:o
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
sunfl0wer

Postby sunfl0wer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 am

I play guitar somewhat, I can read notes and I can play them but my playing is really slow. If I practise a certain song it usually gets faster.

Then I play piano quite well, but I mostly just play simple songs with chords and notes. I can't really play Beethoven or anything like that.

I would like to learn more of both instruments, but the classes are very expensive and I don't have alot of time with school and everything. I just teach myself at home when I have time, internet has alot of good lessons too. Maybe someday I will have time and money to get private lessons. :]
[center]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!"
"Now how about our gay couple, Stan and Kyle?"
[/center]

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”