Diet sodas makes you fat?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

candies

Diet sodas makes you fat?

Postby candies » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:02 am

I don't truly believe this at all. You all could see the whole article at:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/nutriti ... e-you-fat/
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
BRMBug

Re: Diet sodas makes you fat?

Postby BRMBug » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:09 am

Well, from personal experience, I can tell you that diet sodas aren't as bad as regular ones. I go through a several liters of Diet Dr. Pepper a week, and when I was staying in San Antonio, I started drinking regular ones. I gained 10 pounds, and as soon as I realized I had, I switched back. The weight came off as quick as it went on. :shock: And my routine hadn't changed, nor had my diet. Although after that I started walking all over downtown S.A. taking pics for a month, and lost another 15 lbs, but that's besides the point.
candies

Postby candies » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:23 am

BRMBug wrote:Well, from personal experience, I can tell you that diet sodas aren't as bad as regular ones. I go through a several liters of Diet Dr. Pepper a week, and when I was staying in San Antonio, I started drinking regular ones. I gained 10 pounds, and as soon as I realized I had, I switched back. The weight came off as quick as it went on. :shock: And my routine hadn't changed, nor had my diet. Although after that I started walking all over downtown S.A. taking pics for a month, and lost another 15 lbs, but that's besides the point.

Cool. I don't usualy drink diet sodas one of these days frankly I've been drinking alot of Dr. Pepper & Sunkist drink once a week, I may try a little physical exertion around my neighborhood in the summer or spring if it wouldn't be too cold. Sodas drink also gives me a papule.
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:01 am

I`m addicted to diet coke must drink about 6 cans a day
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 am

The article states that diet soda makes people gain weight because they think they can compensate for the soda's lack of calories with larger meals. So they up their caloric intake via food.

Of course, it depends on the food you eat. I'm addicted to diet Dr. Pepper and Pepsi Jazz, and I'm the thinnest I've been in about two years. It's probably a combination of caffeine and the fact that it's so filling.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:43 pm

The article doesn't mention the other factor at work with artificial sweeteners that makes you fat.
The sweetness of sugar substitutes send the message to your body that it's intaking a bunch of calories; more than it needs for the short term. So your metabolism will convert more of the food you eat into fat to store this excess energy for future lean times. So you put on more weight.

I personally find artificial sweeteners nauseating. Aspertame (Nutra-Sweet) and sucralose (Splenda) don't exist anywhere in nature, and I'm highly suspicious of the long term effects of consuming them.

High fructose corn syrup is also a man-made concoction that I'd like to consume less of, but it's virtually impossible to avoid in this country.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:46 pm

I don't think it makes you fat if you don't drink it too much...but I hear from my boyfriend and just about everyone in school that the artificial sweeteners give people brain cancer. I pretty much gave up on soda in general now.

I drink tea and soymilk, though. I'm currently addicted to jasmine tea right now.

^ ^;
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
Voodoo_Doll

Postby Voodoo_Doll » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:10 pm

I think diet soda are nasty, so i just drink the regular sodas, but neither one of them make me gain weight.
Left
me
to
fret
to
stress
to
cry
to
choke
on
emotion
and
wilt
in
the
dark.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:27 pm

I wonder what our favorite soft drinks would taste like if they actually used real sugar in them instead of that high fructose corn syrup crap? I'd bet a hundred bucks it would actually taste better. And it wouldn't be nearly as bad for you.

You read it! You can't unread it!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:58 pm

It does. You can get Dr. Pepper that's made with real Imperial sugar. It just tastes more pure than the corn syrup ones.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 pm

I just try to stay away from the diet sodas at all costs. I've heard way too many scary things about the sweeteners turning to formaldahyde in your blood streams or what other stuff.

What was once Nutrasweet has been replaced by aspartame, sucralose, or any other crud. Even some bottled water has that junk.

I prefer the regular Jones sodas with the cane sugar. That appears to be better, and tastier, than that high fructose corn syrup or whatever the heck it is.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:I wonder what our favorite soft drinks would taste like if they actually used real sugar in them instead of that high fructose corn syrup crap? I'd bet a hundred bucks it would actually taste better. And it wouldn't be nearly as bad for you.

I can tell you: they tasted better, without any aftertaste. If you want the sugar instead of the HFCS, look for Dublin Dr Pepper, kosher sodas (especially Coke or Pepsi), or sodas imported from Mexico - those have real sugar in them, and they taste crisper than HFCS versions do. We Americans are being deprived of the great sugar taste sodas used to have...

The preference for high-fructose corn syrup over cane sugar amongst the vast majority of American food and beverage manufacturers is largely due to U.S. import quotas and tariffs on sugar. These tariffs significantly increase the domestic U.S. price for sugar, forcing Americans to pay more than twice the world price for sugar, making high-fructose corn syrup an attractive substitute in U.S. markets. For instance, soft drink makers like Coca-Cola use sugar internationally but use high-fructose corn syrup in their U.S. products.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 am

I guess the point being here is to try to stay away from anything that's artificial.

I suppose that's a good thing, right?
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
Thunderhorse

Postby Thunderhorse » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:16 am

I heard the diet stuff can kill you.
Wikipedia wrote:Some studies have also recommended further investigation into possible connections between aspartame and negative effects such as headaches, brain tumors, brain lesions, and lymphoma.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 pm

AngusMcTavish wrote:I've heard way too many scary things about the sweeteners turning to formaldahyde in your blood streams or what other stuff.

Well, I guess that means that I'm pretty well preserved! *rimsnot*

http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”