The Official Election '08 thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

marvel_freak_42

Re: The Official Election '08 thread

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Cartman's Top Enemy wrote:It's a shame that it took us this long to realize that a President lying about getting a blowjob to Congress is NOT worst thing a President could possibly do.

Who said it was? Still, he did commit perjury - lying under oath. Why hasn't Bush been asked to speak under oath like Clinton was?

Because Republicans are God's Party, and members of God's Party are so honest they don't need to take an oath.

I hope you all realize that was sarcasm.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Stupid Tuesday has pretty much cemented John McCain as the Republican nominee, as expected.

As for the Democrats, it's still a toss-up. I think for the first time ever, my state will actually matter in a Presidential primary, if only for one party. How 'bout that?

Everyone keeps talking about these "super-delegates" who will probably do the actual selection of a candidate. It makes me question the point of the primaries & caucuses if half the delegates can ally themselves with whoever the hell they want. Like the electoral college, I'm sure it made sense to somebody back in the day, but these days it's just unnecessary.

You read it! You can't unread it!
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:Stupid Tuesday has pretty much cemented John McCain as the Republican nominee, as expected.

As for the Democrats, it's still a toss-up. I think for the first time ever, my state will actually matter in a Presidential primary, if only for one party. How 'bout that?

Everyone keeps talking about these "super-delegates" who will probably do the actual selection of a candidate. It makes me question the point of the primaries & caucuses if half the delegates can ally themselves with whoever the hell they want. Like the electoral college, I'm sure it made sense to somebody back in the day, but these days it's just unnecessary.

WISCONSIN ROCKS!!!

Yes, the super delegates might not smoke cigarettes or cigars but they stink of smoke filled rooms and behind-the-scenes deals. It is better than it had been in the past but the president is still not really elected by the people. Since we don’t get to elect the delegates, the people are kept at a decent arms length from actual participation. This is because the Constitution did not anticipate the strangle-hold the two party system would exert on the election process.

Don’t get me wrong! It is a great system and (IMO) works better than other Democracies! (but, what if Gore had won Florida??? - c'est la vie) I do think it will eventually need to be reevaluated.

As for modern Republicans…you hit the nail Marvel Freak 42! The modern Republican has a pipeline to the truth and they NEVER make mistakes; just ask Cheney. I use the modifier “modern” to separate these Republicans from those who came before Reagan. John McCain is a pleasant reminder of those former Republicans. I am not a McCain supporter though.

Vote or Die mf'er
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 pm

McCain won, and yeah, that was to be expected. To me, he's the best Republican who stood a chance, not counting Ron Paul, who I would've voted for, but he's too crazy (look what happened to Howard Dean!) and resembles too much of a Hobbit to win. To me, Huckabee is the kind of self-righteous religious conservative fundamentalist we don't need! And notice that the majority of states he won delegates from are from the bible belt. And Romney, well, I just don't like him... he's a Republican John Kerry.

As for the Democrats, I expected it to be a close one. Not much else to say, as I'm still not to sure on what to say about either one of them.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 pm

A Republican Kerry!! –I’m scared…Kerry as a Democrat was bad enough.

McCain will be the Republican nominee and…

The next President will be a white woman or a black man because no Republican stands a chance of being elected after the last 8 years.
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:57 pm

I'll never get how your election system works in the USA; it's way too complicated to elect your leader, that's why we abandoned the practice in the UK and just let a dictator do whatever he wants.

I'm still unsure what side anyone's on; they seem to spend more time insulting each other than they do their enemies. Which remindes me, why are the repulicans even trying; it's not like they WANT to be in charge to expierience the full, unavoidable fallout of the last 8 years? The recession and terror Bush's party in part brought to the USA will kill the democrats before 2012.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 pm

SuperMaids wrote:that's why we abandoned the practice in the UK and just let a dictator do whatever he wants.

What dictator is ruling now?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Terror had come to the US before the last Bush administration and the Republicans did not make loans to people who should not have qualified.

The US had been attacked by Al-Qaeda prior to Sept 11, 2001; it was just their most successful attack on American soil.

Maybe you blame the British government for the bombings in 2005, but the British government did not cause the bombings. (Or maybe you blame the US for those bombings?)

Having a Democrat in office will not make America safe from terror attacks. The world will not suddenly fall in love with the US if Hillary or Barack become president. Clinton was president when US forces were attacked in Mogadishu and when the USS Cole was bombed. Carter was president when Iran took US diplomats hostage for more than a year.

No, just changing the administration will not affect either the threat of terror or our ongoing economic problems. I am no fan of the most recent Bush administration and I wish it were that simple.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:11 pm

A Democrat in the White House isn't going to change the threat posed by foreign terrorists, but it will significantly reduce the threat to Americans by their own government.
Bush's use of signing statements to circumvent the law & the Constitution has seriously upset the balance of power in America and the other branches haven't done sh*t to stop him. Even with the opposition party controlling the Congress, the Legislative Branch continues to sit on its hands and not exercise their power to reign in the most powerful White House in living memory.

You read it! You can't unread it!
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:25 pm

What dictator is ruling now?

We don't directly ellect our leaders, only the parties they represent, but the leaders select their cabnet; when Tony Blair left office, there was no election (in party even) as to who should succeed him, therefore, Britain's current leader, Gordon Brown, is unlelected.

That doesn't technicly make him a dictator (only a dick, when you consider how he refused, in the face of public oppinion, to hold an early election) but it does show how flawed our system can be, as all the top jobs in our government are held by unelected, inexpierienced FOOLS. As their performence and ant-leangth lifespan prooves.

Not to say the American system is any better... Not even to suggest that...
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

marvel_freak_42 wrote:McCain won, and yeah, that was to be expected. To me, he's the best Republican who stood a chance, not counting Ron Paul, who I would've voted for, but he's too crazy (look what happened to Howard Dean!) and resembles too much of a Hobbit to win. To me, Huckabee is the kind of self-righteous religious conservative fundamentalist we don't need! And notice that the majority of states he won delegates from are from the bible belt. And Romney, well, I just don't like him... he's a Republican John Kerry.

As for the Democrats, I expected it to be a close one. Not much else to say, as I'm still not to sure on what to say about either one of them.

Agreed. Personally, from what I've seen out of Huckabee, he's a pretty annoying assh*le. We could use less of that, for sure. McCain was obviously going to win for the Republicans, he seemed to be the most realistic if you ask me.

I have a good feeling that the Democrats might go into a brokered convention (don't take my word for it, though). It's extremely close this year. I'd vote for one of them, but I'm not sure which one I'd choose. I'd probably go with Obama if it came down to the bitter end...but I'm not old enough to vote yet.

:oops:
._.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:12 am

Well, we, as in Washington State, get to do the primary thing tomorrow. I'll have to get out the ol' voter card and get ready for it.

Would you believe I found Ron Paul in a pack of baseball cards?! Yep, one of the companies has a subset for the candidates, both currently running and no longer running, and you find the occasional one in the pack.

I've heard of bonuses in packs, but this is getting ridiculous.
Mrsbeemccormick

Postby Mrsbeemccormick » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:00 pm

hil'dog or obama
don't piss me off, i'm a pchyco bitch!a very big way to piss me off is viewing and not posting.POST WHEN YOU VIEW!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Mccain, I have no problem with. I liked Romney better. I like Obama as well, dislike Clinton. If Clinton is the presidential candidate, there isn't enough shock therapy on Earth to make me vote for her. If it is Obama, then I'm split between him and McCain.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:Mccain, I have no problem with. I liked Romney better. I like Obama as well, dislike Clinton. If Clinton is the presidential candidate, there isn't enough shock therapy on Earth to make me vote for her. If it is Obama, then I'm split between him and McCain.

I kind of feel the same way every now and then. I personally feel like my fate is a little safer in McCain's hands, but when I try and decide between Clinton and Obama, I honestly don't know what to think. My opinion on them changes all the time, but I do know for sure I'm not a big Hillary fan.

A wise (or maybe not) man once said the following to no one in particular, I can't say if there's any truth to it:

McCain-unpopular ideas (even when they produce results like the surge, he gets flak)

Clinton-bad ideas (I can surely think of a few)

Obama-no ideas (pretty sure the guy was referring to his use of rhetoric but I can't say I know enough about Obama to make an opinion)

I'm just glad that things are better then they were in the summer of last year. It's certainly gotten calmer. 8)
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

No, that is the opposite of manly.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”