Morality

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

rainbow.bix

Re: Morality

Postby rainbow.bix » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am

vexille wrote:rainbow.bix, if you were hurting your mother, even physically, by getting a piercing, is there any reason that this would be wrong?

The guy was talking about piercing himself, he said nothing about studding his mother. Besides, whose fault is it other than hers if she's a nutcase? ( No offence, Rainbow.Bix).[/quote]

Dude, I'm a chick. :?
Formerly terrance&philliparesw.

Just like weetbix... except queer
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 am

rainbow.bix wrote:I too have an example;

yesterday I fessed up to my Mum that I'll be getting my cheeks pierced soon and there's nothing she can do to stop me. She said that if I did so, then it would hurt her alot and that she'll never forgive me. I questioned why it would hurt her... because afterall, it's me who is putting a needle through my cheeks. I then explained that I have control over what happens to my body, and that it wouldn't be hurting her physically at all. She replied with "I wouldn't be able to look at you, you'd be ugly, you won't get a job, rah rah rah." I told her that they were purely superficial reasons, apart from the last one, in which I explained that I would put in clear retainers when I was working/ looking for a job. Then she started crying. I felt extremely bad, but I kept in mind that if I did get the piercings, I wouldn't be harming her physically, I wouldn't be putting her in danger, and it was my body, not hers. Therefore, I was firm with her and told her these reasons and there's nothing she can say to stop me. Realizing this, she compromised with me... I'll wait 3 months and get them whilst my parents were on vacation. I believe that I wasn't being immoral because;

1. I would be inflicting pain upon myself and not anybody else, which means that I will not be harming anybody else physically.
2. I would be doing it out of my own interests, for myself, without any external influences.
3. It's a relatively safe practice, with minimum risks.
4. It wouldn't lower my chances of getting a job because clear retainers are availible. Also, some workplaces allow piercings, so no risk there.
5. If my mother's reasons opposing my piercing plans are superficial, then I don't count them as proper, valid reasons, which means I win this round. :mrgreen:

As long as you're not living with her, all of this is fine. If you're still living with her, she can say "if you live in my house, you'll follow my rules. If you don't like it, get the f*ck out. I brought you into this world, I can take you out."

And your mom didn't compromise, she chickened out - you getting them while she's away is passive-aggressive behavior. If you're that intent on getting them, there's no reason to wait three months. Get them now and accept any consequences that follow.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:13 pm

shamernick wrote:2. When having a discussion about something as abstract as morals a person's opinion cannot be labled as right or wrong.

why not?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Big-Will wrote:As long as you're not living with her, all of this is fine. If you're still living with her, she can say "if you live in my house, you'll follow my rules. If you don't like it, get the f*ck out. I brought you into this world, I can take you out."

And your mom didn't compromise, she chickened out - you getting them while she's away is passive-aggressive behavior. If you're that intent on getting them, there's no reason to wait three months. Get them now and accept any consequences that follow.

I was going to say something exactly along those lines, but I held back.

This is a case where it doesn't matter who's "right" and who's "wrong." If your mother is supporting you, you are obligated to do as she says. If she is not supporting you, you have the right to do exactly as you please.

Acknowledging this is a crucial step toward becoming an adult. You don't have to like it; you just have to accept it.
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 pm

plk12345 wrote:
shamernick wrote:2. When having a discussion about something as abstract as morals a person's opinion cannot be labled as right or wrong.

why not?

Because right and wrong are technically points of view. There are things that are considered universly wrong but not every one agrees with them either simply the vast majority. But the real question here is why do we have to dribble on like this it won't accomplish anything other than pissing people off in the end.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
vexille

Postby vexille » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 pm

rainbow.bix wrote:
vexille wrote:rainbow.bix, if you were hurting your mother, even physically, by getting a piercing, is there any reason that this would be wrong?

The guy was talking about piercing himself, he said nothing about studding his mother. Besides, whose fault is it other than hers if she's a nutcase? ( No offence, Rainbow.Bix).

Dude, I'm a chick. :?[/quote]

Sorry, thought you were a guy for some reason.
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
rainbow.bix

Postby rainbow.bix » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:58 am

Pip Tweek wrote:
Big-Will wrote:As long as you're not living with her, all of this is fine. If you're still living with her, she can say "if you live in my house, you'll follow my rules. If you don't like it, get the f*ck out. I brought you into this world, I can take you out."

I was going to say something exactly along those lines, but I held back.

This is a case where it doesn't matter who's "right" and who's "wrong." If your mother is supporting you, you are obligated to do as she says. If she is not supporting you, you have the right to do exactly as you please.

Acknowledging this is a crucial step toward becoming an adult. You don't have to like it; you just have to accept it.

In my situation, I work 20-25 hours a week and I am about to start fulltime university. Believe me, I would move out if I had the money. I'm indepedant in every aspect except financially, for obvious reasons. I am extremely greatful for my parents supporting me, but I basically pay for most things myself, except for the food at home and water/electricity, which I don't use much of, since I'm out at least 4 nights a week at my boyfriends. You could say I'm half-living at home. A couple of nights ago, I told my parents that I wanted to move out, and they went crazy! They actually wanted me to stay. The point I'm trying to get at here is that if my mother wants to teach me independance, the first step she should take is letting me take control over what happens to my body, and my life. If I'm constantly asking for her permission to do things, then I'm putting my decisions in another persons hands. Conversly, if I go ahead and get these piercings, my mother will give me the guilt trip for a very long time, which will just make me unhappy. I'm stuck in a rut. Any advice?
Formerly terrance&philliparesw.

Just like weetbix... except queer
wendy28

Postby wendy28 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 am

i can actually understand the opinions of all these mothers dont wanting their children ro get a piercing. isnt that like the natural mother-instinct-thing? i mean, they want to protect you, they are worried about you. i mean, honestly, would you like to see your (imaginative and hypotetic) child see sticking metal through his/her skin?

i do have a piercing myself, and i just made a deal with my mum so i would get it. i think thats a pretty ok way to handle such a thing, when you offer something to do for it. i said, i wouldnt drink alcohol till i was 14 (at the time i got the piercing, i was 13,5) and she was happy, i was happy, we were all happy.
of course, you dont have to offer her anything. its your body, your right about that. but isnt it much nicer to keep everyone happy? (see the first few posts in this topic)

oh, and were getting quite far away from the actual theme, arent we?

and please, exuse my spelling and grammar... *is ashamed*
favorite character: kyle!

Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 pm

polymorph wrote:
plk12345 wrote:

why not?

Because right and wrong are technically points of view. There are things that are considered universly wrong but not every one agrees with them either simply the vast majority. But the real question here is why do we have to dribble on like this it won't accomplish anything other than pissing people off in the end.

Thanks Polymorph. That is what I was getting at too.

And sorry for assuming you were a guy Shamernick..I don't know why I did. I see you were on here in 2005..That is probably why I don't know you.I was mostly at other boards back then. Welcome back.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 pm

polymorph wrote:But the real question here is why do we have to dribble on like this it won't accomplish anything other than pissing people off in the end.

I know this board isn't philosophically minded, but this thread has worked out so far. If y'all want me to lock this up, just say the word.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:55 am

Big-Will wrote:I know this board isn't philosophically minded, but this thread has worked out so far. If y'all want me to lock this up, just say the word.

I see no reason to, Will

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”