Postby fellowship kyle » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:10 am

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:Americans aint stupid, the people who lead them are. :P

he's right cus' i am have a bit of american in me :zombiekenny: :craig:
OMG we killed kenny
we are bastards :zombiekenny:
triplemultiplex

Re: Americans are NOT stupid - discuss!

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:09 am

I've lived in this country my entire life and I can say that we definitely have more than our share of stupid people. One only needs to look to our electoral process where people will vote in clear opposition to their own self interest because they buy into the hype and scare tactics of a candidate.

Sorry if this is partisan, but the example I see over and over is poor, rural citizens voting for Republicans because they buy into their scare tactics about terrorists and gays. Like any terrorist would ever go into some backwoods hick town in Georgia and blow up the Wal-Mart or something. Gimme a break.

The other stupid thing I hear all the time from fellow Americans is how we're the greatest country in the world, period. This is from people who've never traveled abroad and just assume "we're the best" because... we have the best military? ...because our Olympic basketball team kicks ass? Oh, wait...
How the hell can you make that kind of claim when you've never left California or Tennessee or metro DC?

You read it! You can't unread it!
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:56 am

Wendy28 - please don't feel embarrassed - your English is very good and the supposed 'mistake' you made actually made sense! (axes-axis!)

The USA has an enormous influence on the rest of the world (ROW). As an example, most European daily newspapers & TV news programmes carry daily news reports on the current selection process for the US Presidential candidates and their policies, infighting, personal info, etc.

One thing triplemultiplex mentioned in passing that made an impact on Euros thinking about GW Bush when he 1st became president was that he had never before travelled abroad and, in fact, didn't have a passport at that time. A lot of people in this part of the world (i.e., Euroland!) had concerns about that.

I thought it was odd for a politician who was running for the most powerful public job in the world.

Then again, so many Americans could relate to that. Many Americans don't have a passport and have never travelled outside of the US.

Personally, when you're not a US citizen and therefore do not have a vote in this process, I would prefer that the US President had some personal experience of the world outside the US especially given that US policy has such an influence on the ROW.

As for the vid I posted originally - it was meant to be a piece that would encourage debate.

And oh yeeeessss, there are many, MANY, stupid people in every country. But it's easy and fun to take the piss of the most powerful, influential country currently on this planet we call earth.

To show how stupid Irish people are, some news reporters are trying to find an Irish link to Barack Obama. Puhleeeze. Who cares?!? I'm sure he doesn't and he shouldn't
SouthParkSoul

Postby SouthParkSoul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:42 am

OH MY CHRIST HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?!?!?!??!?! I wish I could have been on that show so we wouldn't look like a bunch of retards god damn!
Küssen Sie meinen Esel

Taking the Banner of the Holy Marsh! Death to the Vile Lard!
tweekedkenny

Postby tweekedkenny » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Why are we talking about Bush when Karl Rove was behind everything?
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 pm

every country has stupid people. I'd like to see a show where they interview the drunk idiots on the streets of london
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 pm

America doesn't have a higher percentage of idiots than any other country, but public apathy about the globe and Americans not being ashamed of allowing others to see their less aware countrymen makes it seem that the percentage is higher.
Last edited by ShaneHaughey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Good point ShaneHaughey - but my question/concern/issue (whatever) is ... how ever many or few US people do not know about their own country and the rest of the world - is it somewhat stupid that they don't give a sh*t about that? And does not giving a sh*t about it mean a certain amount of 'elective' stupidity when it really is not that difficult to find out more info about their own country and the rest of the world?

In all seriosity - it takes bit of reading, looking up stuff on the internet and watching the news...now and again...
Last edited by Keejit on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Keejit wrote:Good point ShaneHaughey - but my question/concern/issue (whatever) is ... how ever many or few US people do not know about the RoW, is it OK that they don't give a sh*t about that? And does not giving a sh*t about it mean a certain amount of 'elective' stupidity when it really is not that difficult to find out more info about the RoW?

It means that they are indifferent, not stupid. Someone with an IQ of 185 could not give a damn about anything that doesn't involve science. He isn't an idiot, only indifferent.

Now, if someone makes election choices based on their indifference on issues, then they are guilty of election stupidity. But everyone is capable of that one.:P
Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:43 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:America doesn't have a higher percentage of idiots than any other country, but public apathy about the globe and Americans not being ashamed of allowing others to see their less aware countrymen makes it seem that the percentage is higher.

I agree very much with that.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:53 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:[
It means that they are indifferent, not stupid. Someone with an IQ of 185 could not give a damn about anything that doesn't involve science. He isn't an idiot, only indifferent.

Now, if someone makes election choices based on their indifference on issues, then they are guilty of election stupidity. But everyone is capable of that one.:P

In the time that you replied I'd edited my answer...

Indifference is no excuse-it's laziness.

Knowledge is a very, very good thing. It's a very simplistic argument and very true.

When people think of stereotypes for various countries (as we all do) e.g 'the Irish are drunks', a lot of people think 'Americans are stupid'.

If indifference is all that's (supposedly) preventing US people (or anyone) from knowing more about what's going on in their own country and elsewhere it seems the anti-thesis of knowing and enjoying knowledge. Pity.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Keejit wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:[

In the time that you replied I'd edited my answer...

Indifference is no excuse-it's laziness.

Knowledge is a very, very good thing. It's a very simplistic argument and very true.

When people think of stereotypes for various countries (as we all do) e.g 'the Irish are drunks', a lot of people think 'Americans are stupid'.

If indifference is all that's (supposedly) preventing US people (or anyone) from knowing more about what's going on in their own country and elsewhere it seems the anti-thesis of knowing and enjoying knowledge. Pity.

I'm not arguing that Americans are knowledgable as they should on the world. They aren't. But, on the flip side, that does not equate automatically to idiocy. Most people are busy: They go to work, come home, f*ck their wife, have dinner, talk with their kids, f*ck their wife again, and go to sleep. The next day it is the same thing. Will they at times try to dig deeper into an issue than what they say on the their local news? Sure, but what they really care about is what is happening in their town and state. Some people don't care about the country as a whole and many others aren't concerned about the globe. They are indifferent. Are they wrong? Obviously yes. But being wrong does not equate to idiocy. Should they look up information more often? Certainly. If they don't, are they stupid? No, they're indifferent, lazy, whatever you wish to call it.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:37 pm

I think what you described, in a deliberately limited way (!), is a what I what call ordinary urban survival.

It's not wrong; it's certainly not stupid but there are many ways, even through every day conversation, that people can gain knowledge.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Keejit wrote:I think what you described, in a deliberately limited way (!), is a what I what call ordinary urban survival.

It's not wrong; it's certainly not stupid but there are many ways, even through every day conversation, that people can gain knowledge.

True and, as I said, people should try to get more knowledge. My point is that a lack of knowledge does not equate to idiocy. You should always want more knowledge.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Americans, generally, have very strong nationalistic tendencies. Many an American has made a name for himself by equating the pointing out of disparity, injustice & flaw in this country with being un-American. And I think this nationalism is responsible for a lot of irrationality that makes us look stupid in the eyes of other post-industrial countries.

Case in point: people trying to make a big deal out of Barack Obama not wearing some sort of American flag lapel pin. Of course that was all the rage in the years after 9/11. Even late night talk show hosts jumped on that bandwagon. If you take a step back and look at that from an outside prospective, it's utterly ridiculous to suggest that one is somehow unpatriotic without one.

Americans can be real fatheads like that. People in this country are quick to point out flaws in other nations, but eager to overlook the flaws in their own nation.
It's fine to be proud of your country and all, but what other post-industrial countries have all their elementary school children recite a nationalistic chant at the beginning of every school day? You should be able to love your country without having to 'prove it' constantly.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”