Ripped on for being a South Park fan?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

virginsanity

Ripped on for being a South Park fan?

Postby virginsanity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:58 am

I'm a first time poster. I wanted to know if any SP fans who've, say, gone to college and have a good professional life, who get no end of grief from people who hate the show because they think it's nothing but mindless vulgarity or some other hateful garbage. These folks also rip on me for liking the show because of my education, as though they think I should frequent more serious TV fare.
I think it's unfair to equate one's education with his or her taste in TV. I get so sick of defending the fact that most all of the show's episodes have an underlying moral theme or message of some kind that does provoke the viewer to think and draw what conclusions they may from it.
Anybody else ever have this issue? What do you say to the naysayers?
ShaneHaughey

Re: Ripped on for being a South Park fan?

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:01 am

I had a High Schoolteacher and a counselor who hated the show. At first, I tried debating them with facts, but eventually I gave up as both had already solidified their position.

Oh well. When I conquer the planet and Marshism becomes the religion of Earth, they'll convert quickly enough.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
virginsanity

Postby virginsanity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:20 am

Good move, Shane. Yeah, people just can't be swayed when they're set on something. Nothing you say, no proof you give is enough to get them to change their minds. It blows me away how assuming folks can be, and with something as funny as a show like SP? Why not sit and have a laugh at it instead of arguing your opinion.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:46 am

Well, I have never been made fun of for liking South Park but I have been made fun of for liking certain horror movies..You know what I do? If I know I am going to be around that person I make sure I am wearing one of my House of 1000 Corpses t shirts so I can somewhat annoy them. Yeah, I know alot of horror fans don't like or get that movie but I love it, and if someone whose opinion is different than mine has a problem with me liking it..Whateva, whateva, I'll do what I want.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:31 am

I've been ripped on for liking anime, but only online, by people posting in a forum dedicated to ripping on anyone for any reason.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 am

Constantly. A majority of the members of my mother's side of the family are these right-wing religious conservatives who think it's the work of the devil or some bullsh*t. My aunt hates the "fact" that it despises Christianity or calls it "a load of sh*t." :roll: I'm not going into any more, as I'll just get pissed off thinking about it.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:47 am

I remember a retarded person from a long time ago who tried to spam IM me on MSN because I ike SP and he hated it. Fortunately, people like that amuse me.

People who criticize aren't worth the time and energy, so don't take them seriously if it can be helped.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Why should you care what they think? If you like the show then that's all that matters. :gaykenny:
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
virginsanity

Postby virginsanity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 pm

You got that right, not worth my energy. I had a dream one time that I took revenge on my mom's ultra conservative boyfriend, who's always on my case. I did it Cartman-style. Made him eat his relatives in a nice batch of Hormel.
He's the Scott Tenorman of my world. :assface:
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, today I am going to be hanging out with that person I mentioned yesterday who makes fun of some of the horror movies I like..Ok..It's my brother.LOL..I have this really cool hoody that pretty much has the Japanese version of the House of 1000 Corpses movie poster on the front..He's gonna have to be seen in public with me wearing it..LOL. And he is the kind of person who pays attention to what everyone around him is wearing.

Sorry to hear about your aunt's feelings about South park Marvel Freak.I think I have some relatives who feel the same way but they are all in Illinois and they have no clue about alot of the stuff I like..I think alot of it would freak them out, they would misinterept it and think it was evil.

So Will gets made fun of for liking anime? Well, what kind of anime is it? Is it stuff like Akira or Vampire Hunter D, or Death Note, or is it like Salior Moon and Fruits Basket, or some of the really filthy S&M Hentia some of my friends have?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:12 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:So Will gets made fun of for liking anime? Well, what kind of anime is it? Is it stuff like Akira or Vampire Hunter D, or Death Note, or is it like Salior Moon and Fruits Basket, or some of the really filthy S&M Hentia some of my friends have?

It doesn't matter to them - it's all Greek to those folks.

Akira - great film.

Vampire Hunter D, or Death Note - I haven't seen those

Sailor Moon and Fruits Basket - I haven't seen these but have seen shows like them (without the magical girl aspect), like Kanon, Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, all shows about high school girls. Anime has waaay too much of this.

Hentai - I don't think they know the difference.

Part of the ripping is that they think all anime fans are cosplayers (that's just not my style) who don't shower when they go to anime conventions (I haven't gone to any); who buy all the toys, games, merchandise, and media connected to anime (I don't want to - just the DVDs are fine); and who fap off to female characters who look too young to be teenagers or women (that there are guys who do this is indeed a sad thing, but it sometimes makes me laugh).
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 am

Sadly, I know someone who fits into some of those stereotypes..
randomcolors5

Postby randomcolors5 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 am

no one in my family likes it,and if my grandparents found out,eh.they took my harry potter book,and my dad had to tell them to gve it back!that's hw religios they are.they don't let me watch futurama.
Marilyn Manson rocks! don't let anybody tell you otherwise!
PIPaul

Postby PIPaul » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Not many of my friends rip on my for liking south park... a lot of them rip on me for LOVING it, to the extent that I draw Fanart and wrote a fic and poast on here though. I shouldn't have let that slip.

I'm not sure why people think South Park isn't for the intelligently minded, it's generally the kids who dropped out who watched soaps and sketch-shows and the college kids who watched South Park (all mah Chemistry class made a pact to ONLY speak in south park quotes for a week, pretty difficult when we need to discuss work but...). My philosophy tutor is also obsessed with the show (and the Matrix for some reason) but then people who can't see the messages or even tone down their emotional OUTRAGE to see the humour beneath, think it's sh*t.

A majority of the members of my mother's side of the family are these right-wing religious conservatives who think it's the work of the devil or some bullsh*t.

My whole family rip on me ALL THE TIME for liking the show. They finally let me watch it, but they acted like I was coming out of the closset when I said I was a South Park fan, it changed their oppinion of me more than when I said I was an athiest (hard, because they're pretty devout in a warped way). But except my grandad (only College educated person in mah fammily) all my relitives hate me for it, they're like "shouldn't you watch Corination Street or Cathrin Tate" just because THEY'RE NOT CARTOONS. They see cartoons = kids for some wierd biased reason. But yeah.

At first, I tried debating them with facts, but eventually I gave up as both had already solidified their position.

Same goes for me and my folks... though I convinced a few people outside the family (e.g. my biology and maths teachers and that grandad) to watch the show, no-one else in the family would EVER change their minds. I even made My mum watch the movie and three episodes, it was like me when my friends FORVED me to see season 1 of Family Geh. They spent all the time complaining about how bad it was and how it fit their expectations by SUPPORTING GAYS (There goes my attempt to liberalise them so i can come out of the closset :(), HAVING sh*t ANIMATION (ohnoes it doesn't look like real life- get some style guys!), THE VOICES ARE ALL CRAPPY (:?:), IT'S NOT FUNNY (can't get the jokes), SUPPORING THE LIBERAL AGEND (I can't see how but they could), THAT'S NOT FUNNY IMMEDIATLY (refusing to look below the surface), BEING ANTISEMITIC (yeah right) and NOT BEING RACIST OR SEXIST ENOUGH (mah ma is a Nazi, don't cha know ;)). Well, how are they supposed to find it funny when they talk all the way through it and don't even look at the screen half the time, going into running rants about "OMG CARTMAN HATES JOOS!" or "THAT BUTTERS KID IS GEH I HATE GEHS!" withoug letting the whole message of the piece set in. It's like the CAPalert people. So I let them hate it now.

Now, i suppose I deserve it. I take the piss out of half the people I know for liking Fammily Guy (i feel as Cartman does about that show) or generic paste-the-plot dramas they *think* are deep and cool. I also take the piss out of people if they fit the steryotype will mentioned. So i deserve to be ripped on, it's just we're only ripped on by uneducated dolts.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:12 pm

Big-Will wrote:I've been ripped on for liking anime, but only online, by people posting in a forum dedicated to ripping on anyone for any reason.

Hahahahahahaha, anime.

In all seriousness, no. I'm still in college, so it's a social norm to watch South Park.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”