The New Deadly Sins According to the Vatican

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

angeldeb82

The New Deadly Sins According to the Vatican

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Vatican Adds Seven New Deadly Sins Including Abortion, Contraception and Drug-Dealing

ROME — Drug pushers, the obscenely rich, environmental polluters and “manipulative” genetic scientists beware — you may be in danger of losing your mortal soul unless you repent.

After 1,500 years the Vatican has brought the seven deadly sins up to date by adding seven new ones for the age of globalization. The list, published yesterday in L’Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, came as the Pope deplored the “decreasing sense of sin” in today’s “secularized world” and the falling numbers of Roman Catholics going to confession.

The Catholic Church divides sins into venial, or less serious, sins and mortal sins, which threaten the soul with eternal damnation unless absolved before death through confession and penitence.

It holds mortal sins to be “grave violations of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes,” including murder, contraception, abortion, perjury, adultery and lust.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that “immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into Hell.”

Although there is no definitive list of mortal sins, many believers accept the broad seven deadly sins or capital vices laid down in the 6th century by Pope Gregory the Great and popularized in the Middle Ages by Dante in "The Inferno": lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy and pride.

Christians are exhorted instead to adhere to the seven holy virtues: chastity, abstinence, temperance, diligence, patience, kindness and humility.

Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican body which oversees confessions and plenary indulgences, said after a week-long Lenten seminar for priests that surveys showed 60 percent of Catholics in Italy no longer went to confession.

He said that priests must take account of “new sins which have appeared on the horizon of humanity as a corollary of the unstoppable process of globalization.” Whereas sin in the past was thought of as being an individual matter, it now has “social resonance.”

“You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor’s wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos,” he said.

Bishop Girotti said that mortal sins also included taking or dealing in drugs, and social injustice which caused poverty or “the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few.”

He said that two mortal sins which continued to preoccupy the Vatican were abortion, which offended “the dignity and rights of women,” and pedophilia, which had even infected the clergy itself and so had exposed the “human and institutional fragility of the Church.”

The mass media had “blown up” the issue “to discredit the Church,” but the Church itself was taking steps to deal with it, according to Girotti.

Addressing the Apostolic Penitentiary seminar, the Pope said there was “a certain disaffection” with confession among the faithful. Priests had to show “divine tenderness for penitent sinners” and admit their own failings.

“Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own ‘I’, and their hearts harden in sin. Those who recognize themselves as weak and sinful entrust themselves to God, and from Him obtain grace and forgiveness.”

The Pope also complained that an increasing number of people in the secularized West were “making do without God.”

He said that hedonism and consumerism had even invaded “the bosom of the Church itself, deeply undermining the Christian faith from within, and undermining the lifestyle and daily behavior of believers.”

Eastern Catholics do not recognize the same distinction between mortal and venial sins as the Western or Latin Church does, nor do they believe that those people who die in a state of sin are condemned to automatic damnation.

Well, these may include the use of capital punishment (or the death penalty) as a deadly sin, I believe. :|
Still the same as it ever was.
vexille

Re: The New Deadly Sins According to the Vatican

Postby vexille » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:51 am

Truly, the Catholic Church yearns for the days when they controlled the hearts and minds of everyone in the west.

Who the f*ck really wants to heed a belief system that condemns you for being human, threatens you with eternal damnation for trivial transgressions ( to them ), and tells you to put your faith in a long dead hebrew demagogue, whom in his own words apparently, only meant for his teachings to be applied to other hebrews?

Matthew 10: "Go not thou in the way of the gentiles and into the other cities of the Samaritan enter ye not, but go rather into the way of the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

In other words, Jews should stick with other Jews.

Big-Will rebuts:
And when Jesus rose again, what did he say?

Matthew 28:19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,

Matthew 15:22-26 "And behold a woman of Canaan came to out of the coasts and cried unto him-'Have mercy on me O' Lord, thou son of David, make merry on me. My daughter is vexed by the devil and is suffering very much.' But he answered her not a word. And his disciples besought him, saying, 'Why do you send her away, for she crieth for after us?' but Jesus answered and said 'God has only sent me to the lost, the people of the house of Israel.' Then the woman came to Jesus again and bowed before him and said, 'Lord, help me.' Jesus answered, 'It is not right to take the childrens bread and give it to the dogs.' "

Not only was Christianity intended by "our lord and saviour" to be his new kind of Judaism, but the last sentence there indicated "gentle, kind, and tolerant Jesus" was an heartless bigot.

Big-Will rebuts:
Look how you twist the scriptures yourself:

Matthew 15:27-28 She said, "Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the table of their masters." Then Jesus said to her in reply, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed from that hour. Look how that heartless bigot Jesus healed that woman's daughter!

In summary, unless you're of Jewish heritage and you abide unreservedly to Jesus' teachings in the Bible, we're all going to hell.
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:02 am

Why anyone cares about the Vatican is beyind me. I'm Catholic, and I don't care, but I do think it is funny when people bring it up and start bashing the religion as a whole because of religious nuts. So funny and so closeminded both ways.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
vexille

Postby vexille » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 am

For me, its not just the odd christian nutjob, but I really think everyone can do better than live their their lives by this EVIL religion.

By the way, I apologize, Angeldeb82, if my comments should become the catalyst of another flamewar. This is not intended as an attack on you, but like I essentially stated earlier,.....I really, really,...... REALLY....HATE.....CHRISTIANITY. :evil: .
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
tweekedkenny

Postby tweekedkenny » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:58 am

vexille wrote:For me, its not just the odd christian nutjob, but I really think everyone can do better than live their their lives by this EVIL religion.

By the way, I apologize, Angeldeb82, if my comments should become the catalyst of another flamewar. This is not intended as an attack on you, but like I essentially stated earlier,.....I really, really,...... REALLY....HATE.....CHRISTIANITY. :evil: .

So do you hate me because I'm Christian?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:01 am

The vatican is prooving just how inconsistant and human in origin much of Christian morality is. The original sins were made by men (Aquinas and other Doctors of the Church) less than a millenia ago. These are just as fake, unless we're to daify the pope or raise him to prophetic standard. The secular moralities (Utalitarianism, etc.) are more internally consistant and don't have the hypocracy of "this is sanctioned by GOD" stamped on them.

Glad to see Eli Lilly and friends are going to burn in hell now. Oh, that's not what god/the pope means by "drug pusher" is it? I forgot God has politically based beliefs.

^^You should speak with Kyle while he's back :)

I hate Christianity, in terms of what it actually says in the New Testement (thanks to Paul), the contradictions in moral teachings and the way it holds back science, but it's a useful "crutch-religion" for those that need it. Even if it's more contradictory than Judaism or Islam.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 am

It's times like this when I'm glad I'm an agnostic. (Meh, if I was God, I should would hate all the sh*t carried out in my name for f*cking sure.) :roll:
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:21 am

I'll keep that in mind Vexille.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 am

tweekedkenny wrote:So do you hate me because I'm Christian?

I'll say it so no-one else does, hopefully before a flamewar starts: you can hate someone's beliefs (or even actions) without hating them as a person. It's even possible to love a Nazi, though you hate their beliefs and actions, because they're humans and human are ALL sinful beings; to be forgiven their mistkes by other sinful men. Even if Christianity were as bad as Nazism, it wouldn't mean we HAVE to hate YOU for the belief, for you most likely didn't choose to hold it, it was given to you by your parents or society or some mental condition or something. OhMy Science did I just compare Christianity and Nazism/no I didn't/ at least I hope I didnt!

I'm an athiest-leaning agnostic with a strong grudge against the Abrahamic faiths, but that doesn't mean I hate all Christians; how could an athiest be a good person, if they hated 90% of the population?!

I thought we all knew, mentioning religion on the BBS is the perfect flamewar catalyst.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:56 am

I really don't know why angeldeb82 posted this. This is not a Catholic message board.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”