Transhumanism

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

superiorsavior

Transhumanism

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:16 pm

What do you guys think of Transhumanism, the belief that humanity is simply a stage in evolution that should, with technology and science, be overcome. Farther details of the idea can be obtained from this manifesto of sorts. It's an interesting idea, but raises all sorts of big questions I don't really want to answer.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
butters kenny

Re: Transhumanism

Postby butters kenny » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:19 pm

you mean evolution i think it dosnt really make sense pokemon evolve not humens
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Oh My Science! I mentioned Evolution in the presence of americans. I forgot about creationism/cretinism. Sorry :(
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:23 pm

superiorsavior wrote:Oh My Science! I mentioned Evolution in the presence of americans. I forgot about creationism/cretinism. Sorry :(

ummmm................it okay?

R.I.P Billy Bonka
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm sorry about mouthing off then, just didn't expect to find a creationist here. If you really are unsure about evolution and have some time spare, may I reccomend The Blind Watchmaker, a great explanation of evolutionay theory that should make it less of a mystery to you.

Anyway, if you believe in evolution and science, what are your views on Transhumanism?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:36 pm

superiorsavior wrote:I'm sorry about mouthing off then, just didn't expect to find a Commercialshere. If you really are unsure about evolution and have some time spare, may I reccomend The Blind Watchmaker, a great explanation of evolutionay theory that should make it less of a mystery to you.

Anyway, if you believe in evolution and science, what are your views on Transhumanism?

im not really sure what a creationist is but im christin ill be sure to read that im sorry if i made you fell bad

R.I.P Billy Bonka
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Well, some Christians believe evolution is incompatable with their beliefs, and they're called creationists. Many other people of faith believe it is compatable. I can't really see where the religion and the theory come into conflict, but I don't really feel bad because of it. No problem, forget i said it :)
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Threads like this always crash once religion is mentioned.

But for the record, evolution is evolution. If man is different in two million years, so what?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
AHAD

Postby AHAD » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:27 pm

I is so higly evolved. I is not even hooman anymore. I am a head on a stick, I live only online. Poop my pants still though :)
BIG WILL IS A FASCIST111 LOLOLO

HE IS A BOOK BURNER! HE HATES YOU ALL!
HE IS A CRAB PERSON! HE IS I TELL YOU!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Based on what I've seen over the past 10 years, I'd say humanity is DEvolving.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:44 am

So eventually, we'll become the Borg, huh?
Resistance is futile, I guess. :mrgreen:

I do think our species is still trying to claw it's way out of a relatively primitive existence. Oh, sure we've got lots of cool technology, but most of the species is still overly superstitious and war-like. We're greedy and materialistic. We'd rather go see a sh*tty movie or watch the latest celebrity 'news' show than expand our knowledge. And even in democracies like this one, we allow a rich aristocracy to rule over us to their benefit and our detriment. But as long as we've got our Xbox's and iPod's we're not going to give them any trouble.

Hopefully, the society that rises from this century's pending massive human die-off will be a step forward.

You read it! You can't unread it!
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 am

superiorsavior wrote:I'm sorry about mouthing off then, just didn't expect to find a creationist here. If you really are unsure about evolution and have some time spare, may I reccomend The Blind Watchmaker, a great explanation of evolutionay theory that should make it less of a mystery to you.

Reading that book is like reading a bible on evolution to say the least. It makes origin of the species seem very hard to follow by comparison. :lol:

Hard to say, I feel a little creeped by the thought of it, because I can't say I know how far people would go to "overcome" our stage. If it leads to eugenics, then to me it's a no go.
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

No, that is the opposite of manly.
PIPaul

Postby PIPaul » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Hard to say, I feel a little creeped by the thought of it, because I can't say I know how far people would go to "overcome" our stage. If it leads to eugenics, then to me it's a no go.

It's completely irrational not to hold that the idea itself is sound, but as with communism, it is questionable as to how workable it really would be. The article mentions efforts to respect the 'old kind' and how everyone will be helped along the way and things like Eugenics are a big no-no. But Das Kapital and On Liberty includes a lot of recipies for social equality that didn't quite get followed to the letter, as the USSR and the USA show.

Reading that book is like reading a bible on evolution to say the least. It makes origin of the species seem very hard to follow by comparison

That's why I linked it. Dawkins really has a way with genetics. Wish he'd stuck to it, really, his 'this is this, that is that' style isn't quite so worthy in philosophy but. Still the best explanation of evolution available.

So eventually, we'll become the Borg, huh

Hopefully not exactly like the Borg, but power-wise, that's where I see us. Cube empires here we come :)

Hopefully, the society that rises from this century's pending massive human die-off will be a step forward.

I think they put too much sted in genetics. Social change is probably faster and more potent to humanity than genetic advancment. So a few more scientific ideas in the social planning of the next century could help us overcome the flaws we have as much as a top eugenics experement.

Based on what I've seen over the past 10 years, I'd say humanity is DEvolving.

Evolution is a constant, non-directional adaptation. There is no such thing as "devolving" except in the socio-political sense. Read Dawkin's watchmaker to clear up that and a host of other misconceptions on the theroy that have more widespread implications to your views of it and based on it than you'd think.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”