post here if you hate the disney channel!

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

WiLLiaint

Re: post here if you hate disney!

Postby WiLLiaint » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 pm

I don't hate them, per say. A lot of their animation is pretty good. The undertones are generally what I don't like. They take great stories, none of them original, and ruin them for generations, and generations. Taking whatever character is involved (Actually, there is template the animators / artists follow), and Disney-fing it -- making it lighter, taking out anything they may have morals in some cases -- and just changing a fine story.
The Lion King and Aladdin aren't old Disney movies in perspective to when Snow White was made (1933,'37?).
Pixar is a much better company because they have all been original stories. They didn't have the limits the Disney Studios had. They started off not even a part of Disney, and although they had a contract, which was was up a year or two a go, Disney finally bought them and things may change. We'll see.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you can't
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:37 pm

I prefer the sing-song disney versions to the anti-semitic 'German folk morality' of the original Borthers Grimm versions, though in some stories Walt kept the anti-semitism in because he was a Nazi :o
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:16 pm

superiorsavior wrote:Walt was a Nazi btw :o

Nazi sympathizer, actually.

You read it! You can't unread it!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:20 pm

What about the old live action films? Like which mountain... they were OK I suppose...
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:17 pm

In my mind, Disney Channel is a seperate entity from Disney, so I can say with confidence that I still like Disney. Even with all the controversy of yore, their movies were revolutionary and are some of the few movies that transcend generation. People say that about Citizen Kane and such, but Disney movies really and truly stand the test of time.

Still today I'll pop one into my VCR when I'm feeling down.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:46 pm

VCR?! HA! POV!

Anyway, if you blank out the Disney Channel (i hate Recess and their new toons for being so damn american, nothing against americans but it's like a steryotype on film) and the company's policies, then yeah, it's still all good.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:05 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
superiorsavior wrote:Walt was a Nazi btw :o

Nazi sympathizer, actually.

This would be damage control, then. (Warning - a jab at Bush in that link)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 pm

I can't wait for Walt's animated reaction to the horrors of Auschwitz... something tells me it's going to be less respectfull than Munich, Schindler's list or Death Camp of tollerence :shock:
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 am

When I was younger, I used to love their movies. The Little Mermaid had to be my favourite movie of all time. In fact, I still kind of like watching them with the kids at the daycare, mostly for the nostalgia, I guess. Hell, my PARENTS still enjoy the movies, which is pretty surprising.

I hate what it's become, particularly when Pixar and the Disney Channel entered the scene. Pixar is OK, I guess, but I just prefer the 2D animation to the 3D stuff. As for the Disney Channel... NO, NO, AND NO AGAIN. I'm not even going to go into all of the crap that's wrong with it. If organic chem is the devil, then High School Musical must be something so evil not even the devil himself can match up to it. XD
Illegitimi non carborundum.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:25 am

Don't kill me for this... but I think there's a bit too much gross-out humour and sentimentality in the Pixar films. Now the Disney Channel can't be compared with Pixar in terms of it's lamness though... it's a black hole of purest lame :)
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:22 pm

I like some Disney stuff. Like many of the animated films that came out in the 90's. The Lion King and Beauty and The Beast for instance. And I love The Nightmare Before Christmas, it is one of my favorite movies of all time. And I appreciate the art from the older films. I am not really so much into Pixar except for Toy Story ( I don't know, many of their films just don't appeal to me for some reason, I liked Shrek a lot better), I like the old hand drawn animation better than computer generated. I don't like their live action stuff at all, except for Pirates of The Carribean. I think if I saw High School Musical it would annoy the sh*t out of me.

As for what was said about the f*cked up sh*t Walt himself was into, well, I think you can disagree with what a director might believe but still enjoy the movies they make..I do think it is strange that if Walt was a Nazi sympathizer, he made some anti Nazi cartoons during WW2. I saw a clip from one of them. But then again, back then Warner Bros was making those type of cartoons too, and I think most of the animation studios back then were, so maybe if would have made Walt look bad if he didn't produce some.

But people who except Disney to be 100 percent moral and nothing but a babysitter for their little brats having really been paying close attention. For one there is a lot of dark stuff in films like Fantasia and Snow White. And some of their stuff from the 90's or late 80's is slightly naughty..Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit for instance. I don't think having content like that in the films is wrong, the adults in the audience enjoy it, and why shouldn't adults enjoy the films too?.Animation that is done well is suppost to be art, not just something you throw in the dvd player to get your kids to leave you alone. All of those people who were freaking out over certain things that were snuck into Disney films during the 90's definately forgot that when they started with the whole "Will somebody please think of the children" crap. I have even seen people on Youtube claiming those things were satanic subliminal messages..Whatever. Some animators just thought it would be funny to sneak naughty stuff in, that is all that happened. And most kids wouldn't notice. You have to really pay attention to notice most of that stuff, except for the cloud of dust in The Lion King that spelled out the word S-E-X.
Butterslover21

Postby Butterslover21 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:32 pm

yeah, nightmare before christmas is a classic. i guess i should change the title to disney CHANNEL, cause that's what i mean.
honk if you're f*cking steve carell (cause i really wish i was!)

"i like girls with big fat titties, i like girls with deep vaginas" - kenny
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Butterslover21 wrote:i guess i should change the title to disney CHANNEL, cause that's what i mean.

No worries, I changed it for you. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Re: post here if you hate the disney channel!

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:00 pm

nothing but a babysitter for their little brats

They really need to see Kyle's message in 'Death...' I think South Park would make a better babby-sitter for kids than Disney though, because I disagree majorly with the messages their films try to push, and for once agree with most of the messages in South Park. Sure SP may be a bit vulgar, but I don't really care about naughty language (it's just words after all), violence on screen (I don't think kids coppy what they see like mindless robots, well, if they've been brought up propperly, and violence isn't any woese than Tom and Jerry in SP, not the most realistic show on earth) and occasional sexual references (Kid's would grow up better if we didn't lie to them about sex and told it to them strait from the start, I disagree with Chef on that :)). The only thing I really think films, books and music can corrupt our kids in, is in their political outlook, and while it's not enough to make me stop my kids watching disney, I don't really agree with the company's views there, as much as I agree with Matt and Treys. Kids don't take that much in from shows and films, so I'd still let them watch Disney of course, just I don't see why people give it this 'wholesome' immage just for abstaining from things the public think are taboo. Sheltering our kids from the real issues of the real world is, in my view, a mistake, if we want our kids to be the ones directly tackling those problems instead of put them in the back of their mind and forget about them like the majority of people in the world today. Our kids will be the ones tackling the issues South Park adresses, you know. South Park is better for kids than disney, basically. Not that I'd let my kids be babbysat by either if i ever have any.

why shouldn't adults enjoy the films too?.

I don't hate all of Disney's works. But like any large company with a HUGE and varied output, the quality fluctuates massivly between works. Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Mary Poppins and the Fox and the Hound, Fantasia, Aladin... I loved them all, but they're in a whole other world from the DisneyToon
features, live action modern films and even modenr cartoons like Brother Bear and Home on the Range... the films fluctuate in quality, but are generally going down rapidly since the late 90's. I agree that the animation is a work of pure art in some of these, though the CG stuff from latter releases (particuarly the Pixar films) is pretty ugly for me, Toy Story looking pretty N64 in comparison to some of the newer games out there.

I don't really care about Walt's political message, nor the companies, when I'm assesing the qualiy of the films. But when I'm trying to figure out weather I think Disney is Evil (original title of the thread I think) or weather I hate Disney Channel, they play a bigger role than the quality of the films. Especially since the filmns are hardly ever on the channel :)

Thanks for the name-change will!
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

M00ndragon69

Re: post here if you hate the disney channel!

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:32 am

Yeah, I am not a fan of the Disney Channel either.. In 1998, I used to watch one show on it. They were showing reruns of Gargoyles. I loved that cartoon. I am into fantasy, mythology, and horror and I am somewhat gothic, of course I liked it. But other than that, The Disney Channel is not something I would enjoy watching. The live action stuff, from what I have seen a little of seems really annoying. Oh and I don't really know much about Hannah Montana, but it is getting annoying seeing that bitch's face everywhere. Too bad she won't get scared over what Trey and Matt said about her being the next "harvest" and quit before she ends up even more f*cked up than Britney Spears.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”