Family Guy rant

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Kensuke

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby Kensuke » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:17 pm

With the way the new episodes of South park are going, I find Family guy 10 times funnier.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?
i<3hart<3kenny_333

Postby i<3hart<3kenny_333 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:12 pm

the new ones are alright but family guy sux

the weird thing is i used to love family guy and never miss any episodes now i hate it so much i want to kill the producer!

i <3 :unhoodedkenny:
love to Kenny beyond and above the grave

favorite character : kenny <3
2 favorite charecter: tweek <3
1 favorite episode: Season 3 Rainforest Shmainforest
2 favorite episode: season 12 Major Boobage
CartmanMills

Postby CartmanMills » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Y'know? About a year ago, I would have agreed that the ridiculous amount of sh*t Family Guy gets is unjustified and it comes just because a few people have watched Family Guy, don't like it, watch South Park and go "roflmfaolol matt and trey are so right. seth mcfarlene is a loser" and so on and so forth.

But, y'know what? Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you wanna hate it, go ahead. But do not try and ridicule it's fans. And I've seen it - and it annoys me. But it also happens in the South Park thread - regardless of what you may think, Family Guy is popular because it does tend to deliver humour. It's not about writing or character plot or whatever - it just delivers entertainment. Smart? Maybe not. But I don't watch South Park to be taught a moral lessons - I watch it to laugh.

See, Family Guy has never claimed to be 'smart' or try and be South Park. So when the parody came on, the only people that cared was, well, some of the internet. Nobody else cares - you try asking the casual fan if they give a sh*t about South Park ripping on Family Guy. No, they laugh and take it in stride. It's nothing to get upset about and it's certainly nothing to take seriously. It's all humour and cartoons - and, to be honest, some of the best things have had it's bad writing, too. Thundercats. How about Dragonball Z and some of it's horrible, badly written/voiced dialogue? It's entertainment. It's not there to be read like a book - it's there for you to enjoy and be entertained by. South Park? It does what it does, makes people laugh and informs them of things. And they've won awards - which is great. But just because Family Guy does things a little differently and some people may not like it. It's life.

So it's cool, really. I'm a fan of both FG and South Park and admit that both shows, currently, have their faults.
solidude

Postby solidude » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:34 pm

i have to say i do like fg, but its problem its that its just so incredibly stupid, its annoying sometimes, it will make you laugh, and you will have a good time watching it, i do like sp better, fg has some nice episodes but it doesnt have any memorable ones like sp.
"Just answer me this Tweek, what do you see as positive about toddler murder?"
"It's, it's easy?"
"Yes...,it is easy..."
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Just_Jackie wrote:It sucks, that's what's wrong with it.

I'm in college majoring in Digital Media and Family Guy was discussed in one of my script writing classes. I mean, it's just insulting. It assumes that their viewers have no brains at all and will laugh at a joke just becuase they threw a pop culture reference in.

Ok I will get off my soap box now. Sorry about that. The show just...bugs me.

The important thing to remember is there's a difference between quality and popularity. Yeah, Family Guy is pretty low-brow (I still get a chuckle out of it personally) but it still resonates with the masses.

Then take Futurama by comparison which was much more creative and intelligently written..yet it has a much smaller fan base.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:52 am

CartmanMills wrote:Y'know? About a year ago, I would have agreed that the ridiculous amount of sh*t Family Guy gets is unjustified and it comes just because a few people have watched Family Guy, don't like it, watch South Park and go "roflmfaolol matt and trey are so right. seth mcfarlene is a loser" and so on and so forth.

But, y'know what? Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you wanna hate it, go ahead. But do not try and ridicule it's fans. And I've seen it - and it annoys me. But it also happens in the South Park thread - regardless of what you may think, Family Guy is popular because it does tend to deliver humour. It's not about writing or character plot or whatever - it just
delivers entertainment. Smart? Maybe not. But I don't watch South Park to be taught a moral lessons - I watch it to laugh.

See, Family Guy has never claimed to be 'smart' or try and be South Park. So when the parody came on, the only people that cared was, well, some of the internet. Nobody else cares - you try asking the casual fan if they give a sh*t about South Park ripping on Family Guy. No, they laugh and take it in stride. It's nothing to get upset about and it's certainly nothing to take seriously. It's all humour and cartoons - and, to be honest, some of the best things have had it's bad writing, too. Thundercats. How about Dragonball Z and some of it's horrible, badly written/voiced dialogue? It's entertainment. It's not there to be read like a book - it's there for you to enjoy and be entertained by. South Park? It does what it does, makes people laugh and informs them of things. And they've won awards - which is great. But just because Family Guy does things a little differently and some people may not like it. It's life.

So it's cool, really. I'm a fan of both FG and South Park and admit that both shows, currently, have their faults.

Amen brother!
I've had to say the same thing on here every few months in the two years since Cartoon Wars aired. But I soon gave up rehashing my position as I got tired of the FG "hater thread of the month" that always seems to pop up.

On some level, I'd kind of like Family Guy to drop off in popularity. One of the things that made the show so cool back in the day was that it was kind of an underground thing not many people knew about. Family Guy was buried on Thursday nights in the same time slot as Friends and Survivor. So the anti-establishment thing to watch was Family Guy.

When the show came back, it became super popular. And like most popular shows, it has plenty of outspoken detractors. Maybe if the popularity dropped off enough, it could go back to being a cool, below-the-radar show again.

Unlikely, though. Besides, I wouldn't want to risk losing one of my favorite shows for a 3rd time.

You read it! You can't unread it!
i<3hart<3kenny_333

Postby i<3hart<3kenny_333 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:46 am

family guy is a perfect example of a nightmare gone even worse, and a drug overdose
love to Kenny beyond and above the grave

favorite character : kenny <3
2 favorite charecter: tweek <3
1 favorite episode: Season 3 Rainforest Shmainforest
2 favorite episode: season 12 Major Boobage
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Just_Jackie wrote:
Big-Will wrote:Remember the time when Family Guy was "TV's Most Original Animated Series"?

Remember the time when this thread was in the wrong forum?

Ummmm...no and no.

Wow, you replied without any hint of irony.

:cry: Damn I must be losing my touch.
Essey

Postby Essey » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:01 am

Well I might as well join in on the fun of stating my opinion on Family Guy. Here it goes...

In any case, I personally like Family Guy, but it will never amount to South Park. In comparison, I find the new episodes of SP are way more entertaining than the new episodes of Family Guy. Family Guy is a funny show, I admit that, but it has its moments where just can't sit through it as easily. Like for instance, that little habit they have of trailing on a joke for so long, it stops being funny, yet they continue to trail it on? Then when it's done you forget what the plot even was.

On the flashback note, I agree that the flashbacks sometimes get annoying and make me as well forget what the plot is, especially if the flashback pretty much consists of that pointlessly long and unfunny joke. But it's pretty much just the style of the humor for the show, whether we like it or not. It's not like it means that Seth has no ability to make on topic jokes, it's been proven on American Dad he can. (As well as FG's Christmas episode; am I the only one who noticed there were hardly to none flashbacks through the whole thing?) So I guess I'm saying that the flashbacks are tolerable if they're short and seldom, I suppose.

triplemultiplex wrote:On some level, I'd kind of like Family Guy to drop off in popularity. One of the things that made the show so cool back in the day was that it was kind of an underground thing not many people knew about. Family Guy was buried on Thursday nights in the same time slot as Friends and Survivor. So the anti-establishment thing to watch was Family Guy.

When the show came back, it became super popular. And like most popular shows, it has plenty of outspoken detractors. Maybe if the popularity dropped off enough, it could go back to being a cool, below-the-radar show again.

I agree. Seeing Stewie's 'badass' image plastered off the whole face of HotTopic gets obnoxious after a while, as well as kids at school constantly quoting the show.

I'm sick of the whole thing with Stewie being portrayed as 'hardcore' because he's so 'evil' and every 12 year old fan boy likes to pretend a matricidal baby is the coolest sh*t ever. Last I checked, that 'badass' Stewie, happened to have his share of gay moments. In other words, last I checked, Stewie was originally supposed to come out of the closet, but they decided they preferred his sexuality to be ambiguous. I can hear the the n00bish, upset cries of disappointed, homophobic tween fanboys now.

But back on topic, I swear to God that Family Guy is practically on just about every single channel off the face of the Earth. And they keep showing reruns of the same goddamn crap we've all seen about thirty times! Yet the crowd still loves it? I'm amazed. I for one find that the show and its constant reruns are getting tiring. A lot of their jokes are even more worse than they were to start with once repeated a hundred times. Take for example, the ongoing chicken fight gag. I never found it funny, and it always seems just like a pointless filler and an excuse for me to leave the room and go do something for a bit.

Also I'm not very satisfied with the people who believe Family Guy has the power to get back at South Park. The fact is, they don't. Even if they tried, they'd fail. Can you really imagine a well done parody of South Park on the show? Neither can I. Not to mention, don't forget their failure to criticize Robot Chicken at the end of Blue Harvest. Christ that was painful. (I am aware of Seth's decision not to make a counter episode, and I have respect for him being a good sport and taking it in good humor.)

Anyway, those were my two cents. Enjoy.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 am

Essey wrote:Well I might as well join in on the fun of stating my opinion on Family Guy. Here it goes...

In any case, I personally like Family Guy, but it will never amount to South Park. In comparison, I find the new episodes of SP are way more entertaining than the new episodes of Family Guy. Family Guy is a funny show, I admit that, but it has its moments where just can't sit through it as easily. Like for instance, that little habit they have of trailing on a joke for so long, it stops being funny, yet they continue to trail it on? Then when it's done you forget what the plot even was.

On the flashback note, I agree that the flashbacks sometimes get annoying and make me as well forget what the plot is, especially if the flashback pretty much consists of that pointlessly long and unfunny joke. But it's pretty much just the style of the humor for the show, whether we like it or not. It's not like it means that Seth has no ability to make on topic jokes, it's been proven on American Dad he can. (As well as FG's Christmas episode; am I the only one who noticed there were hardly to none flashbacks through the whole thing?) So I guess I'm saying that the flashbacks are tolerable if they're short and seldom, I suppose.

triplemultiplex wrote:On some level, I'd kind of like Family Guy to drop off in popularity. One of the things that made the show so cool back in the day was that it was kind of an underground thing not many people knew about. Family Guy was buried on Thursday nights in the same time slot as Friends and Survivor. So the anti-establishment thing to watch was Family Guy.

I agree. Seeing Stewie's 'badass' image plastered off the whole face of HotTopic gets obnoxious after a while, as well as kids at school constantly quoting the show.

I'm sick of the whole thing with Stewie being portrayed as 'hardcore' because he's so 'evil' and every 12 year old fan boy likes to pretend a matricidal baby is the coolest sh*t ever. Last I checked, that 'badass' Stewie, happened to have his share of gay moments. In other words, last I checked, Stewie was originally supposed to come out of the closet, but they decided they preferred his sexuality to be ambiguous. I can hear the the n00bish, upset cries of disappointed, homophobic tween fanboys now.

But back on topic, I swear to God that Family Guy is practically on just about every single channel off the face of the Earth. And they keep showing reruns of the same goddamn crap we've all seen about thirty times! Yet the crowd still loves it? I'm amazed. I for one find that the show and its constant reruns are getting tiring. A lot of their jokes are even more worse than they were to start with once repeated a hundred times. Take for example, the ongoing chicken fight gag. I never found it funny, and it always seems just like a pointless filler and an excuse for me to leave the room and go do something for a bit.

Also I'm not very satisfied with the people who believe Family Guy has the power to get back at South Park. The fact is, they don't. Even if they tried, they'd fail. Can you really imagine a well done parody of South Park on the show? Neither can I. Not to mention, don't forget their failure to criticize Robot Chicken at the end of Blue Harvest. Christ that was painful. (I am aware of Seth's decision not to make a counter episode, and I have respect for him being a good sport and taking it in good humor.)

Anyway, those were my two cents. Enjoy.

Lol I agree with you 100 % That's so how I feel about it.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
alexticon

Postby alexticon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:58 am

family guy is amazing.
iheartmetal666

Postby iheartmetal666 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:21 pm

it rocks.
all the hot 80's guys get plastic surgery or something,and make themselves ugly!pete burns,boy george(but he was gay..)or they get old and look scary like eddie van halen..

!!!
!!!
( .!!!./)
) !!! (
(.___.)
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:43 am

Fammily guy is as funny as the scar movie films, Meet the Spartains and Epic movie... if you like them, you should like FG. I agree with Just Jackie and PipTweek; Familly Guy may be popular, it may be more 'quality' for the majority of people with low taste who don't want to think while they laugh, but for those with greater expectations from their commedy, south park win.

As for Will's commnt; i don't care if the show won some stupid award for creativity in 2005, from a doucie bunch of critics who want to pat their friends on the back instead of awarding real originality.

Have you seen the ammount Fammily Guy fans rip on south park fan for being pretentious assh*les ad fagggots and doodie-heads on the internet? These dude are the worst of the worst and i don't want to sink to their level, but we need to be able to admit the show sucks ass to ourselves, in private, in the south park site. South Park and fammily guy offer two completely different packages, i don't know why anyone who's capable of appriciating the higher pleasure offerend by south park would want to ebase themself watching that vulgar little cartoon but it's their decision, it doesn't hurt me, they shouldn't be imprisoned for it... unless they keep trying to make me watch it in science lessons :@

That came out a lot more insultingly than i'd hoped for... ohwell, this is the south park forum, and if you want to like familly guy, that's ok, just don't attack south park fans for expressing their oppinion against it in their own ballpark as it were. Let's suport the home team!
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Kensuke

Postby Kensuke » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:17 am

To me, both Family guy and South Park are great shows, they both have Potty humor and both are extremely funny to me. I find no reason to compare them, besides, Simpsons owns all! *Runs into the darkness*.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?
chel

Postby chel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:25 am

fg is a clip show, in my opinion.
"Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!"
"Intelligent and friendly on rye bread, with some mayonaise."

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”