Family Guy rant

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Just_Jackie
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:43 pm

superiorsavior wrote:Have you seen the ammount Fammily Guy fans rip on south park fan for being pretentious assh*les ad fagggots and doodie-heads on the internet?


Well there went the last amount of respect I had for the show right there if that's true.

I read through this thread and saw no attacks on people who watch the show, just on the show itself.

However to think that at the Family Guy forum there are not only personal attacks against people who watch South Park, but they are actually using terms like fagggots and doodie-heads"...just says to me that I was right about Family Guy.

I prefer to watch a show that actually requires using brain power and thought. If that makes me a pretentious assh*le..than I guess I am labeled correctly.
chel
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby chel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:23 pm

TRUE THAT.
"Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!"
"Intelligent and friendly on rye bread, with some mayonaise."
Gino
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:26 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby Gino » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 am

Family guy is way to mainstream, It used to be funny but in the post-cancellation eps. they are trying to hard.
For example the cut-out-jokes, They had maybe 3 of them in the earlier eps., Now they reach that number in like a minute or so.
I think American Dad is of way better writing, And I have a feeling that MacFarlane is now way more involved in American Dad than in Family Guy (or at least he doesn't seem to care as much for FG as for AD).
But still, South Park and Robot Chicken are far more superior tho the both of them, Hell, Even the Simpsons is somewhat better than FG&AD.
Oh, And if you thought FG is bad, Wait for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cleveland_Show
Gino
bladewarrior1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby bladewarrior1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Michaelas10 wrote:People, if you've never watched Family Guy please don't use its South Park interpretation to make assumptions about it. I'm just tired of whenever I mention Family Guy people go "remember the time.." It's not like that at all.

yes i totally agree!!!!!! NEVER judge a show by a view on another show
KAMfan
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby KAMfan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:56 pm

I guess Family Guy can be funny, but it's just not my type of humor...SP is definitely a better fit
my manga art, よかったら見て下さい:http://kamethyst.deviantart.com/

困ったときは笑っとけ笑っとけ
Just_Jackie
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:32 am

bladewarrior1 wrote:
Michaelas10 wrote:People, if you've never watched Family Guy please don't use its South Park interpretation to make assumptions about it. I'm just tired of whenever I mention Family Guy people go "remember the time.." It's not like that at all.

yes i totally agree!!!!!! NEVER judge a show by a view on another show


No. I'm afraid South Park has it exactly right.

I remember the last time I watched Family Guy, the characters were in a car and the driver lost control and accidentally ran it through the wall of a house. In the house, sitting in a lounge chair watching TV was the Kool-Aid man from the 80's and says, "Wow I wish I would have known how annoying that is." or something similar. It had absolutely nothing to do with the plot. It was just thrown in as a pop culture reference and had nothing to do with what's going on. Which is exactly what you see on South Park in relation to Family Guy.
superiorsavior
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 am

WOAH! This debate really is active again! DAMN! I actually lost a huge post i just made. Not good :@

Pop culture parrodies of things i've never even heard of are the main reason i don't find FG funny... i havn't actually heard of half the things it's referencing, and the only humour it has is referential... from what i recall...

However to think that at the Family Guy forum there are not only personal attacks against people who watch South Park, but they are actually using terms like fagggots and doodie-heads"...just says to me that I was right about Family Guy.


OK, I exagerated... not all FG fans are that rude, as not all SP fans are that rude. But i have seen FG fans say only homosexuals watch SP but that was on... some live journal, i saw more than a few comments like that before now on google searches. I may have generalised a bit :p Go to a FG forum (i can't be bothered myself) if you want to see if i'm wrong or not, i'm probably wrong. I probably just met the extremists.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
CartmanMills
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby CartmanMills » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 am

Fammily guy is as funny as the scar movie films, Meet the Spartains and Epic movie... if you like them, you should like FG.


I take massive exception to this quote. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing is as bad as M.T.S. or Epic Movie - I only saw the trailer of M.T.S. to actually get angry that it got made and managed to beat Rambo because it piggybacked off the success of 300.

The big difference between those crap movies and Family Guy is not the content itself but the fact that it's funny (key word) - Epic Movie is like being at a funeral. Just overally depressing. Family Guy actually thinks about it's comedy and what's funny - not going to argue with you whether you like it or dislike it. But I can absolutely tell you right now - Family Guy is better and will always be better than those utterly dire crap movies made by two idiots who are only known as 'two dudes who helped write Scary Movie'. Yeah, and there were about 8 writers on that who were better.

I can't argue with people' opinions on Family Guy other than - please don't judge FG or it's fanbase based on a few morons on other forum'. Your right - they're idiot fanboys. Both shows have their fair share of them.

But I really don't understand why Family Guy is disliked for being a 'clip show' of sorts - so?! What's your point exactly? It doesn't matter at the end of the day - the whole reason why Family Guy is famous is because of it's humour. It's not meant to be a smart show - in fact, it's supposed to be the total opposite. It's mostly aimed at students between 18-25 and so hence the pop culture references and such which people can relate to, find funny and continue to watch more shows as a result. You can't slate it for being random and such if it's not even supposed to be a smart show in the first place - South Park is known as a smart show because it mixes humour and character development etc. And all the power to them - South Park and Family Guy are two completely different shows with completely different styles of humour. Hence why M&T got offended when compared to them - they're not. Family Guy is dumber, yes - still popular, though.

If it's not pretending to be smart and is the complete opposite of it, don't slate it for not being smart. That's just lame and unfair.

It's a shame, though - Family Guy actually used to do character developing and such really well. There's an episode where Brian (the dog) is caught drink-driving and has to do community service which is basically looking after an old lady. He and the old lady first dislike each other but, through the episode, come to fall in love. She's hit by a truck and critically injured and dies shortly afterwards, Brian having fulfilled her final wish for 'more time' by using a virtual-reality set seen earlier in the episode as apart of one of it's jokes. It's really well done, too - it's actually sad. After she dies and Brian sighs and goes to leave, the doctor comes in and see' the woman and shouts down the hallway "Hey! Anybody wanna see a dead body?", breaking the tension of the scene and actually making a good joke out of it.

It can do it - it just chooses to focus on this pop-culture humour because that's what made it popular. It's a real shame because it's actually backfired - it's been done so much there's no fun in it anymore. It's just stupid, now.. if Family Guy are to get better, it needs to focus on stories and such alot more. Make me entertained but also make me laugh.

Either way: I'm a fan of both S.P. and F.G. shows and will continue to be for a long time. Both are funny in their own way and offer something the other show doesn't - IMO, they're cartoons. So this fan war stuff is nonsense, anyway.
chel
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby chel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:59 am

Stewie Griffin is The Brain.
Has anybody else noticed that?
"Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!"
"Intelligent and friendly on rye bread, with some mayonaise."
anichbrock
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby anichbrock » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:10 am

Mmm, family guy makes me laugh uncontrollably.

Image

Just like any other show it has it's good, bad, and mediocre episodes. I happily watch it just as I happily watch all the other mindless bullsh*t on the boob tube.
"Most things break, including hearts. The lessons of life amount not to wisdom, but to scar tissue and callus."
- Wallace Stegner
anichbrock
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby anichbrock » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:12 am

chel wrote:Stewie Griffin is The Brain.
Has anybody else noticed that?


The brain as in Pinky and the Brain? Never even noticed. Good call gal.
"Most things break, including hearts. The lessons of life amount not to wisdom, but to scar tissue and callus."
- Wallace Stegner
CartmansWhore
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:03 pm

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:29 am

Probably bc Stewie's voice is such a rip off from Brain's. Even his whole character.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Just_Jackie
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:07 am

GMO!

Family Guy writers put absolutely no thought into creating something? n0 w@y11!!

Well when your writers suck I guess all you can do is rip off other people.
BRMBug
Posts: 18534
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby BRMBug » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:26 am

...God My Ovaries?
Just_Jackie
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 am

Re: Family Guy rant

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:17 am

BRMBug wrote:...God My Ovaries?


...lol

God My Oh. An even more dramatic way of saying "OMG!". Just smart-assy.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests