California Gay Marriage BANNED

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Poop Sandwich

Re: California Gay Marriage Ban Lifted

Postby Poop Sandwich » Sat May 17, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm stoked! Now if I see a hot woman with a wedding ring on I know there's a chance she could be bisexual and want to have a threesome with me and her hot wife! lol
I used to TiVo South Park, but now I use the commercial breaks to meet women. http://www.matchbookmethod.com
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat May 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Most of the problems with homosexuality, such as promiscuity and sex outside marraige, are caused by them being unable to marry. Allowing gay maraige would kill almost all the arguments hetrosexuals have against homosexuals, and allow the streangths of homosexuality to shie through.

Arguments based on religion; If we apply our biblical knowledge (1 Corinthians 7:9) to the situation, we're left with no reason not to oppose it on biblical grounds (unless we place emphasis on the english translation of the old testement over then original greek of the new).

The slippery slope argument to beastuality imples people have no sense or reason to see a difference between polygamy and beasutality and homosexuality, which may be true for those using it but not for the general public. Even so, polygamy isn't the ultimate evil... unlike beast love... most of these traditions were put in place in the late 18th and early 19th centuries to ensure economic productivity in the system of the day, and so have no bearing on today's climate, especially not the moral climate, as economics is amoral i'd hasten to say :S
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
suzukichic

Postby suzukichic » Wed May 21, 2008 1:23 am

I think this is awesome, but it might change with the new presidents coming in. =(
Myspace is for whores...that's why I have one.
deeedoo

Postby deeedoo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:25 pm

I think this is awesome, but it might change with the new presidents coming in. =(

I don't worry much about that. I seriously doubt that our nation would try to elect a Republican, much less McCain, after all this.

I'm really happy about the ban being lifted. A lot of people think that these "domestic partnerships" are okay because homosexual couples get the same rights as heterosexual couples, but it's not about the rights. It's about the people getting the same respect and dignity as everyone else. I mean, who wants to say, "We've been in a domestic partnership for twenty years and we're still happy"? They're not going to get taken seriously. It's just as bad as being Butt Buddies.

All that aside, WOOOOOO!!
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Initiative to ban gay marriage qualifies for California ballot

http://origin.mercurynews.com/samesexma ... ci_9459717

That's right...ban gay marriage. It didn't take too long for the "protect marriage" freaks to get this on the ballot.

In November we will see just how "progressive" Californians REALLY are with regard to gay marriage.

I wish the pro-marriage folks all the best but past experience in this state with this issue leads me to think that Mr Sulu needs to look for another place for the wedding.
rainbow.bix

Postby rainbow.bix » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 am

triplemultiplex wrote:I chuckle when people get upset about gay marriage; saying stuff about it "destroying the institution of marriage." Because it seems to me divorce has done waaayyyy more to cheapen marriage than any queers ever could.

Oh Xenu. I cannot stand those religious idiots who preach that "marriage is about the union of a man and women" blah blah blah and insert other verbal diarrohea. Marriage doesn't even have to religious. Those people turned me into an athiest, I kid you not. Going to a Catholic school really did it for me.

I'm waiting for the day Fred Phelps and his douchy clan get crucified by a mob of angry gays. Will be the best entertainment ever.
Formerly terrance&philliparesw.

Just like weetbix... except queer
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:49 am

rainbow.bix wrote:I'm waiting for the day Fred Phelps and his douchy clan get crucified by a mob of angry gays. Will be the best entertainment ever.

Well, that makes you no better than they are. :x
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:18 am

Don't worry, 'Uncle' phelps isn't in any danger of death in the near future Wilso... unlike the unpopulat gay maraige bid... all those arguments against the morality of gays because they're non-monogamous and don't get married will be MURDERED by this bill, we can't have that, then who'd we hate? We already had to stop hating women and other races, this is our last bastion of bigory :P
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Celiny

What do you think about the same-sex marriage?

Postby Celiny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 am

Legalization of gay marriage in California is a good news for GLBT. One of my friends, who found her another part on the online community http://biloves.com, decided to get married recently. Hope they have a great marriage life.

What do you think about that?
Duan Tian Ru

Re: What do you think about the same-sex marriage?

Postby Duan Tian Ru » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:58 am

I'm down for it! :D Marriage is a state power and should stay that way, and in it turns into a religious issue what with the whole vocab word "marriage", and for me, even though I'm Christian and I get a lot of sh*t from people that I can't be cool with gays and be Christian at the same time, guess what, I am! I'm all for stability, monogamy, and same-sex couples adopting children-- boy do we need more parents. I guess I'm one of those "Hippie Christians", I'm all about love, hehe- if people find happiness and love in a balanced relationship, that's cool with me.
I still remember his oft repeated pronouncement that a man needed a Japanese wife, Chinese food and Scotch whiskey to have a perfect life.

-Martha Nemes Fried
Essey

Re: What do you think about the same-sex marriage?

Postby Essey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 am

*checks out the site you linked in interest* o:

... Isn't this topic in the wrong section, btw? >: Oh well.

I wish your friend the best. :] I hope they have a happy marriage.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:05 am

If marraige is really based on such a religious defemnition, america should firstly scrap the constitution and admit it's a theocrracy, and it should kick out, kill or convert all athiests, budhists, pagans, jews, muslims, mormons, catholics and anyone else who isn't in their tiny little sect of christianity. Religion and marraige have as much to do with each other as religion and the state. The LBGT church is just as much a church as any other, WHY discrminate against that denomination by preventing them putting maraige into practice? Oh yeah, because there's less seperation of Church and State in the US than the UK (with it's offical religion) as i remember :S

Good luck with the marraige dudes!

What arguments have the opposition got against gay marraige wanyway? that it'll hurt the famjilly: havn't they seen how divorce rates and teen pregnancy has been above their 1950's sitcom ideal since the beginning, way before gay rights were in? It'll hurt morality; don't they see that morality has increased dramatically since the old days, since before mid 20th century where there was racism, sexism and hatred of all? it's unnatural: so's plastic, medicine, altruisim and asexuality. They can't say it's unloving surely? And the definition Bull, what does a dictionary definition have to do with ANYTHING?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Duan Tian Ru

Postby Duan Tian Ru » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:51 am

Actually, if you look up the etymology of the word "marry", you will find that it has roots from Old french, latin, and sanskrit, all three indicating a union of man and woman, ordained by a priest, insinuating that it is a religious rite. Oddly enough, if you get a civil marriage (like, you get married legally but in an office at city hall), the word "God" never comes up once, so I find that a wee hypocritical on our part that our government says, "marriage is a religious rite!" and yet when you get married, God isn't even mentioned. Hmm.

Fortunately, many states, excluding the deep south, have warmed up to the idea that gay marriage is a contribution to society than a harm, but the problem is that there are conservative bible interpreters who have quite a bit of power, and whom firmly believe that homosexuality is a sin as "quoted" from the bible.

The problem with THIS is that if you're an educated Christian or Jew, you would know better that it's a sin itself to quote the bible out of context without knowing full meaning and knowledge. This irritates me because I'm Christian and it reeeeaally pisses me off when I hear another Christian say, "you're going to hell!" and then they read a random ass passage and it's like, "dude, that's NOT how the book is supposed to be used, WHAT are you doing?" So, like I said before, **dumb people are loud**, and there are a percentage of Christians and Jews who don't understand their own sacred book unfortunately.

Lol, there's a passage, it goes,
"Fortunate is the man who will seize and dash
your little ones against the rock!" (Psalm 137)
LOL!! It's like, "you're a good person if you take a babylonian baby and bash it's head against the pavement". If you KNEW the history, if you were familiar with the context of where this psalm comes from, then you'd understand, "Oh, the babylonian baby is 'evil'.... Okay?" This is the PERFECT example as to why NO one should EVER take a quote from the bible and just give it to people as is, it's a super super BAD idea. If you quote this verse just as is, then everyone is supposed to grab a {babylonian} baby and kill it?! wtf? *sigh* Cherry picking evidence is just bad practice.

A couple years ago I was at a gay pride parade for my theatre, we were showing support for the homosexuals in our community, and I was on one of the floats, and we passed by a church and there was like a good 50 people, all men if I remember correctly, which makes it even more terrifying, with signs, "repent! or go to hell!" and I was like, "Oh Jesus." and, haha, I had balls of steel back then, lol, and there I stood with my friends, we had mardi gras bead necklaces on, the SKIMPIEST skirts on, and I was stoned out of my MIND, so, lol, I don't know WHAT I was thinking but I started to sing one of the songs I knew from my church and they were STUNNED, totally totally shocked that I was singing a song praising Jesus and that I still supported gays. Boy were they ever pissed, haha. Good times, O:-). I think there's a couple churches now that have opened up in my city openly supporting gays, and that makes me oh so happy. Watch, you just wait 10 years and this whole "issue" of gay marriage will be over. I bet 100 years from now the Pope'll be like, "Okay okay, we're sorry for discriminating against homosexuals" just like they "apologized" for slavery. *hits head against desk*
I still remember his oft repeated pronouncement that a man needed a Japanese wife, Chinese food and Scotch whiskey to have a perfect life.

-Martha Nemes Fried
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 am

Mabey John Travolta can benefit from it as well:
NOTE!!!
This is not Photoshoped, it is 100% genuine. Google for "John Travolta Gay" and you will see tons of articles on it, and some more "proof".
Last edited by gtaca2005 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:13 pm

HAHA! you really is the wild child of liberal christianity arn't you :p

if you look up the etymology of the word "marry", you will find that it has roots from Old french, latin, and sanskrit, all three indicating a union of man and woman, ordained by a priest, insinuating that it is a religious rite

Exactly what i meant to argue against when i mentioned my reluctance to accept the dictionary as a guide to moral truth: no matter what the accepted meaning of the word, it's still a word, and words tell us nothing about what the world should be like. If it's THAT big a deal, then gays should have a brand new word to discribe their lifelong partnerships, but they should have exactly the same legal rights, and it'd just mean another tick box on forms to see if you've beencivilly unionised. I'd prefer it if the same word was used, but i don't really care abot the word, i care about the meaning behind the word, and while the majority may hold one particular meaning, the FACT that gyas believe marraige means (to them) the union between two people in love, weather by religious or irrilegious means, would be just as valid.

ALSO, how can athiests or agnostics ever wed by that defenition, they have no religious rite to pass through, and so can nevver be wed even as man and womman. What of members of other faiths, are they allowed to get married by this defenition, or is it god with a capitol YHWH in the defenition, rather than any old god you could care to invent?

And what's the problem with progress? All words change in meaning over time, marraige is no exception. I think its just about time the word meant something more important, something about love and commitment rather than procreatory ability and biological gender.

the problem is that there are conservative bible interpreters

My main argument is that, why in the only nation to my knowedge that claims, boasts even, to have a seperation of church and state, is the church givemn such power over policy? A nation founded by agnostics and athiests, that allows interpriters of the 'holy text' the ability to decide who gains legal privilage of marraige in the nation? What is the state's right to decide that the catholic church is more true than the LGBT church, they may as well say it's more true than the mormon church or the Jehovah's witnesses.

The sin wasn't even known about in the time the bible was written, but this raises difficult questions as to how much human error was left in while the bible was inspired, how many translation errors crept in, how many errors crept in due to cultural difference, which all serve to highlight the question of how relevent scripture is today. The church can't say the bible has some fallacys, or where will it end, what will still be sacred? If the full context is understood, more and more doubts creep in as to the intentions of the authors and the divine nature of the scripture, and so into the religion: if one thing is to be taken in context, why not the mirraicles in context of the hebrew perchant to define anything wonderous as a miraicle? What is left of the faith, if the morality is all just context, all there is is a god who's son was jesus and who you have to have faith in...

It's also only self preservation by the church to defend their traditional beliefs (clearly homophobic as they are) as these are used as the only non-circular means of arguing for the bible's authority.

It is hillrious that some groups make the 6 passages that refer to homosexual behaviour as it was then understood, in a negative manner, like they're somehow more important than the rest of the bible. What of the passages commanding society to provide help for the poor to a far greater extent than in even england, or the hundred or so regarding acceptance and love for immigrants from foreign lands?

If you will go to hell for accepting gays, you'll go to hell for anything, as all the minor laws on circumcision and festivals, almost impossible to follow, will become newly reaparrent. It's my oppinion that the bible WOULD like us to kill little babbies, which is why i'm an athiest, but that's just my interpritation :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”