Retro gaming

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

superiorsavior

Retro gaming

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:08 am

What old (pre-2000) video games do you fondly remember playing?
I recall a lot of graphic adventure games (not graphic in that way! point and click!) like Beneath a sky of steel and lure of the temptress (not as graphic as it sounds) as well as some text adventures (Zork, the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) on the old computers but my favourites

Did you ever play on an old compuiter? Which ones, and did you enjoy it?
I owned a sinclare spectrum and a Comadore 64, and while these pre-microsoft PC games were sometimes classics (i prefer the speccy for style and geek-charm to the X-box of the day) it's not usualy that i find a game other than a text adventure who's graphics i can stand.

Do you ever play old consoles? What consoles do you prefer, and did you?
I was always a console man myself; the feel of something designed for games in your hands is always better than having to load it up, haing to actully physically set the machine up. I knowit's unpopular to be this childish, but i supported the console wars, it gave us a sort-of sense of identity as kids, me then as a Saga lad, though i've gone to the purple side and turned into a nintendophile, where the retro machines are concerned, after learning of zelda, Final fantasy, and all those other games i wasn't aloud to play as a kid! I think the quality of games on the SNES raises it above megadrive, and the NES is quite without challege. I have an Atari2600, 3 megadirves, a snes (i gave another snes to a friend in 7th grade ad still havn't got it back), a master system, a snes, a PSOne and a Dreamcast (that conts as retro doesn't it?)

Do you support emulation?
The companies will be pushed to make new games if they can't gert cash from old products, so sure i support this.

Hanheld games; which retro consoles do you enjoy for this the most, and which games?
I love my gamegear and my gamecom even gets a work out; yeah i was a nerd for the underdog consoles, except the Atari whateveritwascalled which was as huge as that word and took as many batteries. I obviosly pleased at the gameboy, loving the old game and watch collections, the original nintendo games on it (zelda:link's awakening especially, it almost made me cry witht he ending, well i was a homosexual 10 year old!) and the metal gear and final fantasy games on these were amazing for such an 8-bit machine. Then there's pokemon...

Are there any you still play?
When i get the change to play games it's generally not much time, so

Do you prefer retro games to modern games?
It depends on the games in question for me; i'd prefer to play a classic game of Super Mario Bros or even Eliet and Dissy to some pappy cash in game from this year, but i generally prefer the newer classics to the older.

Do you think the resurgance in 'retro gaming' is a good thing?
I enjoy some of the better pieces of gaming's history but believe the best is yet to come and companies should focus on good games that are new rather than remaking old cash-cows for easy profit like a re-pacaged directors cut DVD.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Butterslover21

Re: Retro gaming

Postby Butterslover21 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:15 am

months ago, my older brother gave me pokemon silver, and i made my parents buy me a gameboy advance just so i could play it (i was like, 5 when the game came out. i used to own a gb advance, but i sold it, then made my parents buy the new one)
honk if you're f*cking steve carell (cause i really wish i was!)

"i like girls with big fat titties, i like girls with deep vaginas" - kenny
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:11 am

I can't believe it's that long since pokemon silver came out... i remember buying it on the day it came out , i was about 10 at the time... i didn't even think it was retro, i am getting OLD :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:15 am

The first Metal Gear Solid. :mrgreen:
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:30 am

Banjo and Kazooie!!!
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:08 am

Bah, here I am pulling the 'old' card again, but come on. Pokemon being 'retro?' Give me a break!!

I was in elementary school during the era of 'Pac-man fever;' I lost many a quarter running around the maze at the arcade chomping up little dots and trying to avoid Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde!

I will always remember being absolutely blown away by how amazing the original 'Doom' was. I had an Atari 2600 as a kid and later a Commodore 64.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:17 am

Yay for someone who doesn't make me feel old... i did sort of studdy C64 and spectrum as a personal patriotic history project (UK used to rule the game market in the 80's!) so you can feel OLDER there PT. But MGS as old? 1998 was the best year for games ever!
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:41 am

I spent many an hour playing on a TI-99/4A hooked up to a Capehart TV. I think my favorite games were Parsec, and Face Maker, but I was like 3, 4, 5 when I was playing those. The keyboard borked, and it never played right again. Then around '89 or so, I got my cousin Carrie's old Intelevision... I only remember that i'd play some skiing game, and I think asteroid. I finally got an NES around' 93 with the usual Mario/Duckhunt starter kit after having rented one from Movie Show Video for god knows how many times. The only other game I got for it was Tiny Toon Adventures. (Then like 2 years ago, I found a Back To The Future game for it for a quarter.) I can't remember when, but I wound up with an N64 at some point, and the only game I got for it was Toy Story 2. I used to play it with my cousin Alecia's kids all the time. I sold the whole system a few years ago, and wish I hadn't.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:51 am

I got a Spectrum +2 for christmas 1989 which came with a lazer gun and 10 games, i thought it was excellent until a few months later when i kept getting "tape load error" that really pissed me off.After rewinding it back several times to try again in the end i gave it a thump and the thing stopped working.I found one at a car boot sale a few years later and picked it up for a £10 with loads of games when the load noise "high pitched screeching" came on it took me right back.I also had a sega Master system with Alex kidd in miricle world bulit in :)
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:14 am

Great game....

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night :mrgreen:
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:39 am

Move over, Pip Tweek; you got company in the "old" department!

Our family used to play stuff on the Intellivision, and we still have the system around the house somewhere!

Some of the sports games for the INTV were fun, but most of the early ones could only be played by two people.

I also have some of the retro collections for the PS, mostly PS2 software:

Intellivison Lives!
Atari
Activision
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Midway Arcade Treasures 1, 2 and 3
Namco Museum
Q*Bert (CD-Rom)

I remember racking up a top score in Q*Bert (arcade version), and that was fun stuff, especially when you heard his backward alien voice.

I also have a brother who once kicked some serious butt in Asteroids. Darned if he didn't come close to maxing out the score one day!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:49 pm

AngusMcTavish wrote:Move over, Pip Tweek; you got company in the "old" department!

..and good company indeed!

AngusMcTavish wrote:Our family used to play stuff on the Intellivision, and we still have the system around the house somewhere!

One thing I distinctly remember about the Intellivision was that every game they had based on a spectator sport used the same exact sound effect for a cheering crowd...

which was basically just faded-in "white noise" with a sine wave over the top of it to simulate whistling.

What I love about reminiscing about this old stuff is that by today's standards, ithey're incredibly cheesy and lame, but they're unique in the creative way the programmers tried to maximize what little they had to work with!

AngusMcTavish wrote:Q*Bert (CD-Rom)

I remember racking up a top score in Q*Bert (arcade version), and that was fun stuff, especially when you heard his backward alien voice.

Loved Q-Bert. There was a little-known successor to that game called "Harder, Faster, More Challenging Q*Bert," which was basically as it claimed to be. You couldn't go as far on a quarter with that one. :lol:

AngusMcTavish wrote:I also have a brother who once kicked some serious butt in Asteroids. Darned if he didn't come close to maxing out the score one day!

Remember the Atari 2600 port of Asteroids? Unlike the arcade version, it was in color, so you had all these brightly-colored asteroids that you had to shoot that changed color once they split apart. It was so fruity-looking, but it was good fun at the time.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey, PT, maybe you can help refresh my memory on this one:

There was one arcade game in the 80s where you controlled an eskimo. And there were bonus levels where you had to reach your goal, but you were on a timer. If you didn't make it, you would see what bonus points you got while your eskimo stood there blubbering.

I remember playing that one, and laughing at that part, but doggone it, I can't remember that title!
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:16 pm

^^ i think thats ice climbers
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:28 pm

:shock:

Holy crap, I think you're right! I'm watching a YouTube upload of it right now.

That's it!! Thanks, bk!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”