http://www.december212012.com/

So my question is, what do you think?
Paranoia or frightening fact?
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: 2012 - End of the World?

Postby Big-Will » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Ignorance. It just marks the end of an age, which just means the beginning of another. This world will continue as it did back in 2000 when Y2K fears came and went, and as it did back in 1000, when people believed the Millennium of Peace was at hand.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Just marks the transformation period to the age of Aquarius. I just don't know...

I found this funny.
On that site, they list celebrities who believe the end is near, and Tom Cruise is one, and this is the article on him:
Tom Cruise, is an actor and film producer, as well as an active member of The Church of Scientology.

Cruise is planning to build a $10 million bunker underneath his Colorado mansion in preparation for the end of the world, according to a new report. The Top Gun star is said to be taking the costly precaution in order to out-smart an evil intergalactic ruler called Xenu who, he believes, will attack Earth.

:lol:
candies

Postby candies » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:12 pm

Big-Will wrote:Ignorance. It just marks the end of an age, which just means the beginning of another. This world will continue as it did back in 2000 when Y2K fears came and went, and as it did back in 1000, when people believed the Millennium of Peace was at hand.

Agreed.
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Big-Will wrote:Ignorance. It just marks the end of an age, which just means the beginning of another.

Also, the passing of various "ages" is a construct of the human mind. It has no bearing on reality; we say this is the year 2008 relative to some arbitrary time in human history when recording the date began. 2012 is meaningless.

I only wish I could see the world come to an end. :lol: That would be freakin' cool.
Butterslover21

Postby Butterslover21 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:45 pm

wow, i was getting pretty paranoid... :tweek: but thanks, big-will. what you said was right, and it reeeaally calmed me down.
honk if you're f*cking steve carell (cause i really wish i was!)

"i like girls with big fat titties, i like girls with deep vaginas" - kenny
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 am

Agreed with Will. The Mayan calendar is no different from Nostradamus' prediction of the world ending in 1999. No one knows when the "world"-- be it Earth itself or human existence-- will end, or what its cause will be.

And yes, Pip Tweek is also correct-- the year 2008 is an arbitrary number based on what is *believed* to be the year Christ was born, although no one knows when the real 2012 will occur-- some scholars believe that Christ was born four years after the Christian calendar "began." Also, I *think* that according to the Jewish calendar, 2012 passed by a *long* time ago, and according to the Muslim calendar it won't happen for another several hundred years.

In fact, the Mayans wrote that calendar on the basis that civilization began with another civilization's "ending"-- in the case of most ancient civliizations, that was war. The calendar ends in 2012 because the Mayans used math based on what they already knew. Some of the predictions on their calendar *were* correct, but what about the ones that weren't?

As for all of those Biblical passages, one must keep in mind that the Bible has a wide number of interpretations and numeric symbols. I once got an e-mail in which a bunch of numeric connections were made to 9/11, but many calculations were involved. Anyone can calculate meaningless numbers to create connections between them.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
manson fan01

Postby manson fan01 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:03 pm

the Mayans said the world was flat,but is it?i stole that from a comment on youtube.
Babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the 'violence'.Are you motherf*ckers ready for this new sh*t?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Blue Twilight wrote:Agreed with Will. The Mayan calendar is no different from Nostradamus' prediction of the world ending in 1999. No one knows when the "world"-- be it Earth itself or human existence-- will end, or what its cause will be.

And yes, Pip Tweek is also correct-- the year 2008 is an arbitrary number based on what is *believed* to be the year Christ was born, although no one knows when the real 2012 will occur-- some scholars believe that Christ was born four years after the Christian calendar "began." Also, I *think* that according to the Jewish calendar, 2012 passed by a *long* time ago, and according to the Muslim calendar it won't happen for another several hundred years.

In fact, the Mayans wrote that calendar on the basis that civilization began with another civilization's "ending"-- in the case of most ancient civliizations, that was war. The calendar ends in 2012 because the Mayans used math based on what they already knew. Some of the predictions on their calendar *were* correct, but what about the ones that weren't?

As for all of those Biblical passages, one must keep in mind that the Bible has a wide number of interpretations and numeric symbols. I once got an e-mail in which a bunch of numeric connections were made to 9/11, but many calculations were involved. Anyone can calculate meaningless numbers to create connections between them.

I think all this should convince any sensible person that the notion of the 'world ending' in 2012 is pure poppydash and baldercrap.

And to anyone who still wants to believe it, I say, "that's your problem, not Mayan!"
deeedoo

Postby deeedoo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 pm

The Mayans made a lot of prophecies about certain dates. The scary thing is, all of them came true. But the 2012 prophecy wasn't about the end of the world; it was about the beginning of a new age. That's when all their prophecies stop. If you believe in that sort of thing, it won't be the end of the world; it could just mean that scientists find a new fuel for cars. Then again, it'll also be the end of Obama's first term in office.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:59 am

Blue Twilight wrote:Anyone can calculate meaningless numbers to create connections between them.

True, as Cartman did in "Mystery Deuce". :)
kentweed

Postby kentweed » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:03 am

Yep, You are living on borrowed time as it its. This Will Happen!
Was'teh.
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 pm

12/21/12 BE VERY AFRAID!

It won’t be the end of the world but it will feel like it and you may pray for it to actually happen. Sorry…No rapture, no smoking remnants of a blasted earth.

Just: scarce fuel to put in your car, scarce water to put in your body, scarce food to put on your table.

These problems are real. They are here now and they will only get worse especially if no one is going to seriously address the solutions.

I suspect some disaster will occur close to that date and it, what ever it is, will be attributed to the “prophecy”. It may be a combination of the ongoing drought many in the world currently face, famine, war, and an inability of supply to keep up with demand for gas and diesel. I sure hope we can avoid another war!

These are REAL problems…We don’t need to invent some spooky end-of-the-earth story based on what some very old people carved into stone. The Maya didn’t get the date for the beginning of the universe correct why should we believe their date for the end? Their story of the creation is no better than any other ancient people’s story AND no more accurate.

Don’t worry about mystical stories of the end times! Be happy that the REAL problems mankind faces are problems we can remedy if we decide to. These ARE the catastrophes that have brought previous civilizations down in the past. Let’s not be another in a long line of failed civilizations! :?

BTW – I am surprised by the number of folks I encounter who say they are atheists but they do believe in: Space aliens visiting the earth, astrology, ghosts, and weird conspiracy theories based on their personal beliefs.

We might have some possible (and controversial) evidence of extraterrestrial microbes coming to earth but not in flying saucers. :D
rusty_caig

Postby rusty_caig » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:11 pm

"And I feel fine" ~REM

Sorry I couldn't resist.
So lets get to the point, lets roll another joint
Lets head on down the road
There's somewhere I gotta go
And you don't know how it feels
No, you don't know how it feels to be me

Tom Petty~ You Don't Know How It Feels
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 am

Pip Tweek wrote:And to anyone who still wants to believe it, I say, "that's your problem, not Mayan!"

HAWWWW!!!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”