2012 - End of the World?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

marvel_freak_42

Re: 2012 - End of the World?

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:43 am

This 2012 thing is annoying. Everyone buys into it before there is ANY f*cking PROOF PERIOD. There has been no solid proof of anything actually happening. Just a vast amount of things that all must be pieced together in an almost awkward sort of way throughout a span of thousands of years to state something MIGHT happen if the conditions are right...

Bottom line. No proof, no argument. AND the media is just fueling the fire of ignorance in the most ignorant country in the world. That is the only thing that will leave this world in flames... and that rout is actually very plausible, more plausible then the 2012 theory.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:23 pm

I read a book about this called "Fingerprints of the Gods." It's pretty pseudo-scientific, but I found it interesting.

According to the book, in 2012 it's not that the world will end with a bang or a whimper, but rather Planet Earth will undergo another major shift.

The basic idea is that the crust of the Earth is essentially like the peel of an orange. It's not attached to the core, as below the crust is a layer of molten magma. Because of this, and because of Earth's orbit-based planetary wobble (which is scientific fact, and is the reason why the North Star changes every 10,000 or so years), supposedly in December of 2012, the crust is supposed to "slip" again, meaning the world and the poles as we now know them will change. The entire crust will shift/rotate, and nobody knows to what extent. The result of this planetary shift would obviously cause global devastation and almost certainly "wipe the slate clean."

The book makes reference to blooming, green trees that were essentially flash-frozen during the last "shift." Trees that are in full summer bloom, but buried under many feet of ice. Same with some animals and such.

The book goes on to say that the Egyptians didn't create the pyramids, but rather stumbled upon and then took credit for them. Supposedly, an ancient, advanced civilization -- arguably the fabled "Atlantis" which was supposedly located in what is now Antarctica (a land-mass which was in a temperate area before the last slip) -- created the pyramids and places like Machu Picchu because they were the kinds of structures that could withstand the devastation that happens when these crust shifts happen, thereby passing on the idea that there was once intelligent life on the planet to future generations of whatever eventually evolved to replace the destroyed ecosystems.

Plausible? Yes. Likely? Not very. However, it's interesting to think about, as long as you don't take it overly seriously.

Either way, 2012 is the year I turn 30, so that's about the perfect time for the world to end anyway, in my opinion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:42 pm

^^^
HA! Shifting crust; what a load. That's not even plausible. There's no mechanism that would allow that to happen. The amount of friction force between the crust and the mantle one would have to overcome is just incalculable. It couldn't happen without crushing the crust to dust.

Now as for 2012, it seems likely that the period around this year will be one of interesting transition. When we look at the global situation as it relates to energy, climate change, rate of population increase, the balance of power in the world and so on, one could argue humanity is about to endure a rather painful period of drastic change. This isn't the end of the world by any means, but some folks ain't gonna make it.

I should also point out that this 2012 date isn't just pulled out of thin air. We have an exceedingly rare cosmic alignment on the winter solstice that year. The Earth will be in perfect alignment with our star and the center of our galaxy, the Milky Way. This event is rare enough, but to have it fall on a solstice is even rarer: Once every 12,900 years; once every 25,800 years for the winter solstice specifically.

So obviously this alignment has happened thousands of times before in Earth's history, but this'll be the first time our species has been dependent on technology when it happens.

It's still highly likely nothing interesting will happen, but wouldn't it be cool if it did?

You read it! You can't unread it!
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:35 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:^^^
HA! Shifting crust; what a load. That's not even plausible. There's no mechanism that would allow that to happen. The amount of friction force between the crust and the mantle one would have to overcome is just incalculable. It couldn't happen without crushing the crust to dust.

I don't know if you're a geo-astro-physicist, so you might be right, but in the book the writer claimed that this theory was run by Einstein and he considered it plausible.

Again, I don't know sh*t about any of this sh*t, so maybe they said the mantle would slip along with the crust. I just remember the writer said it was the hard outer layer slipping on the the liquefied portion of the core.

That solstice alignment stuff is intersting though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
BatistaFan

Postby BatistaFan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:58 am

Paranoia people always need something to fear and this is the next one just like Y2K and the cold war. :cartmancop:
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:43 am

The alignment of the planets may be the explanation as to why the Mayans believed that 2012 is the end of the world. The Mayan calendar itself is heavily based on the positioning of the stars and planets, so naturally a time period would be complete once alignment actually does occur. Like I said earlier, it was all a matter of mathematics. Also, the cycle occurs every 5000 or so years, so if that did mark the end of the world, humankind should have suffered a mass extinction in 3000 BC, which it obviously did not. :P

I checked out the site, and the only part of it that actually made sense was the shifting of sunspots. It will create a change in Earth's magnetic poles which might create a few technological clashes (like satellite TV and cell phones, both of which can easily be fixed), but other than that... bogus. NO ONE can predict how many natural disasters are going to occur in a given year.

HOWEVER-- there is one bit of danger that could potentially cause the end of the world. Apparently Yellowstone National Park is on top of a dormant volcano (hence the geysers), and if that volcano were to erupt, it would cause another mass extinction in the same way the dinosaurs died out-- the ash and dust filling the air would block out sunlight and kill plants.

Most of the problems the site addresses--the melting of polar ice caps, the extinction of bees, etc.--are human-made and PREVENTABLE. Instead of sitting around frightened that the end of the world will arrive, people should do something about it, like striving to minimize their carbon footprint and stop using pesticides.

If anything, 2012 will be a year of massive political and economic transition, much like 2008 seems to be for the U.S.

One more thing-- "apocalypse" does not mean "end of the world." Most people associate apocalypses with the eschatological one that's frequently brought up in the Book of Revelations (which actually symbolized the fall of the Roman empire!), but "apocalypse" means "end of the world as we know it." For all we know, the apocalypse addressed in 2012 could just mean the U.S. will get a new president, or it could even be something positive such as an end to global warming or world hunger.

Sorry about the long-windedness, but there's too much evidence that the 2012 prediction is being blown way out of hand. ^^;

I'll be honest, and this is probably just me being a Catholic, but some of the religious bits on the site kind of freaked me out.

EDIT: Also, apologies for my KTS-esque long-windedness ^^;
Illegitimi non carborundum.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Blue Twilight wrote:HOWEVER-- there is one bit of danger that could potentially cause the end of the world. Apparently Yellowstone National Park is on top of a dormant volcano (hence the geysers), and if that volcano were to erupt, it would cause another mass extinction in the same way the dinosaurs died out-- the ash and dust filling the air would block out sunlight and kill plants.

I've always been a fan of the supervolcano apocalypse scenario. A caldera-forming eruption of the Yellowstone hotspot would blanket North America in meters of ash and create a volcanic winter lasting decades. That'll be some real Road Warrior sh*t.

It's especially cool because scientists have correlated a supervolcano eruption in Indonesia 60,000 years ago with a major genetic bottleneck in just about every species alive today; humans in particular. We almost went extinct before we had a chance to invent civilization. Nice try, Toba!
(that's the name of the supervolcano in question)

nooooooob

Postby nooooooob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 pm

Im goin to die in.. *checks calander* well in six years ill be in the army so ill be dead by 2014 1/2, most likely.

Strange my friend was talking about the same thing today.... But he sead it was from the sun, but the suns not "going out" for another 6.39 billion years he sead, and by 50 years well be living on another planet so i dont think that is the problem

Oh yeah, and triple, shifting crust means earthquake!( I didnt read anything else on the page -_-)
Im camo with the backround!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:44 pm

nooooooob wrote:Oh yeah, and triple, shifting crust means earthquake!( I didnt read anything else on the page -_-)

The "shifting crust" referred to in the article isn't just a garden variety earthquake. There's this theory floating around that the crust, the outer layer of the Earth, could all shift as a unit; effectively changing the location of every place on Earth relative to the poles. Take a globe and tilt it to any position and imagine that the north pole is still the top of the globe, no matter what's there; the Indian Ocean, Europe, Hawaii, whatever. That's basically what it talks about.

Duan Tian Ru

I think I'm having a spazz attack.

Postby Duan Tian Ru » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:12 am

:tweek: Holy. Crap. I'm seriously gonna freak if I don't tell you guys what a scam this is.

I'm a Hispanic-American Lit. major, I've read f*cking everything, things boring enough to make the POPE want to drive his head into the ground and fill it with cement. I've read and written a gazillion articles on the Aztecs, so either you can use the net to confirm my info, or just take my word for it.

First of all, this is the AZTECS. Not the Mayans.

We're on the 5th sun, BLAH BLAH BLAH, cycles of 52 years, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Guess what? They're WRONG. K?

So sleep tight.

They were wrong about Cortes and Quetzacoatl, and because Moctezuma believed in their demise and their superstitious calendar, THEY DIED BECAUSE OF IT. If you want an explanation, go to Wikipedia, it's your friend.

I get furious when people just take advantage of others and feed them this bullsh*t. I mean clearly this website is just trying to sell f*cking t-shirts, at the price of a) mixing up two different cultures, and b) making people worry. assh*les. :evil:
I still remember his oft repeated pronouncement that a man needed a Japanese wife, Chinese food and Scotch whiskey to have a perfect life.

-Martha Nemes Fried
lostluver777

Postby lostluver777 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:08 pm

I honestly think the only way 2012 could be a problem is because there will be a new president (and both suck ok, McCain's into wars and Obama's getting friendly w Cuba and our other enimies [no offence Cuba...]) I think that there's a posibility that maybe a war will be started or something which I guess could destroy the Earth, but remember, the Mayans never actually said "the world would end" these are just our guesses. And to the people that talked about shifting planets and crap, THAT'S PART OF NATURE! IT'S ALL HAPPENED BEFORE!!!!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”