Religious Americans: My faith isn't the only way

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

angeldeb82

Religious Americans: My faith isn't the only way

Postby angeldeb82 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:45 am

Another one of those news about Americans discussing religion. Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25334489
Still the same as it ever was.
superiorsavior

Re: Religious Americans: My faith isn't the only way

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:53 am

I never really took a liking to religous pluralism, it always seemed absurd to say allgods were different aspects of the same one when the details (sometimes major ones) of faiths differed so largly. There are some SPOOKY simmilarities between faiths (buddhism has a king of kings and lord of lords who dies for everyone's sins if they have faith in him, who's tempted in the desert by the devil, who is born to an impotent mother, wise men visit him as a babby, he resurects after death for a period...) but i think absorbation of teaching or outright plagerism by other faiths leads to the simmilarities, not some divine truth behind it all... especially when the main ethic of christianity (eternal life) is so opposed tot hat of bhudism (non existance basically, though you can't actually desire even that). It seems as absurd as the super best friends episode to me.

Then again, these guys in the survey probably just don't understand christianity well enough. It's a shame, but probably the real reason for the results.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
silke666

Re: Religious Americans: My faith isn't the only way

Postby silke666 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Christianity and buddhism are too hard to compare. I can hardly find anything in common.
Especially because there is an important difference betweem Mahayana Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism.
And I believe Eastern religions are more logical than Christianity.
E.g. Buddhism-> Buddha: To live is to suffer. Everything that makes us who we are is exactly what makes us suffer. Because mans abilities are limited and therefore creates desire for new, yet temporary, things. Because you desire it so hard, you suffer because of it.

That's logical if you think of it.
And Buddhism is more a way of life.

Christianity has, in my opinion, stupid believes such as "no sex before marriage". That's just BS. Reproduction is a natural process, it's an instinct we have. And yes, people do have sex for fun, but there are ways to prevent pregnancy and stuff.

I see Christianity as a BS cult. Never believed in it and never will.

And I do mean no offense to any Christians.
Everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want and I do not have any problems with it.

Just giving my opinion

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”