Ruling: Child-rape executions are unconstitutional

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

angeldeb82

Ruling: Child-rape executions are unconstitutional

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Good news! The U.S. Supreme Court ruled today, in a 5-4 vote, that executions for child rape DO violate the U.S. Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment! Now Patrick Kennedy won't have to die for raping his stepdaughter. Let's hope he rots in jail for the rest of his life. Same goes for the other (now former) death row inmate. This is a sure-fire victory for us DP opponents! :cartmanhappy: Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25367455
Still the same as it ever was.
angeldeb82

Re: Ruling: Child-rape executions are unconstitutional

Postby angeldeb82 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 am

Well? Any response?
nick007

Postby nick007 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:22 am

I think raping a child is a cruel and unusual. I hope those bastards rot in jail for it but they way the legal system works over here, they'l probably get off in a year or two on a technicality and they'l be released and back on the street to rape more kids again. Their not afraid of the sytem so we need to find a way to punish them so they won't do it again, instead of our tax dollars paying for em to watch TV in a cell for the rest of their lives while they get free health-care on our buck too. Then when they get relased their all tough from the weight lifting they do so their even harder to catch the next time the commit a crime because their faster, stronger and can get away much easier
If I had the chance
I'd ask the world to dance
And I'll be dancing with myself

Billy Idol~ Dancing With Myself

http://www.myspace.com/nickdouble07
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 am

why in the hell would this be a good thing? We are not teaching child rapists anything and they probally fell like that they won't get harsh punishments for thier acts. Death may be cruel but not unusual, but rape is both.

within 7 years he will probally be free again...to rape another child. Only by death would it be sure he won't do it again...and minimise others for doing so.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
nick007

Postby nick007 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:03 am

Exactly my point. Good parents have to punish kids to teach em rite from wrong so if there's no consequences, how will they learn??
If I had the chance

Essey

Postby Essey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 am

Well... I don't find myself comfortable with this news, honestly. But I can't help but actually agree. Basically for this reason: Death doesn't teach you sh*t. Because... well, you're already dead! Hell, death is technically considered a salvation from them being punished, in ways. (Which is probably why I support torture as punishment. XD *shot* God I'm cruel.)

I guess what I feel is that jail doesn't strike me as a good enough punishment, since they could easily sit through the years, be released, and act upon his actions again. But the death penalty doesn't seem that suited either. But I never found it suited for many different situations either.

For example, a teenager who killed his whole family was sent to juvenile hall/jail for some years. But a teenager who killed a police officer and tried to commit grand theft auto gets... a lethal injection? Doesn't that sound a little odd to anyone?
nick007

Postby nick007 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:28 am

how do you feel bout castration for rapist??
I'd support that and the punishment seems to fit the crime
If I had the chance

Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:47 pm

I agree with Kelly, I think the death penalty for people like that is absolutely acceptable.

The point of putting him to death is not to teach him anything, it's to protect society from him. If the death penalty is "cruel and unusual", was the crime not? Does it not fit? I understand that the victim is still alive...as in shes conscious and all her organs are functioning, but her life is going to be hell for as long as she lives. I mean, she was under 10 years old for God sake. Just how "cruel" does a crime have to be?
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:35 pm

I might get flamed for this, but I think what Just_Jackie says is just utter bulls**t. Sure, child rape is very bad, but executions for child rape are even worse! She doesn't even know, understand or realize that executions for child rape do NOT (I repeat, do NOT) protect society from child rapists, but only harm society more. Child-rape executions also DO NOT protect children, they only harm them more.

I mean, if the child-rape execution law had passed, child rape reports would have decreased; children would have been afraid of their attackers being put to death, which would only make them feel worse, not better, since they do not yet grasp the concept of death; children would have been killed once they were raped, because the rapists would think that killing children who were raped would prevent them from being executed, which it does not because child rape would have been the same as murder; once child rapists were sentenced to death, children would have had to be re-victimized through lengthy processes and appeals; equating child rape to murder would have given children the wrong message of protecting society; and the greater the expansion of executions for child rape, the greater the risk that an innocent person would be executed.

Thank God that the U.S. Supreme Court taught Louisiana and 5 other states that have child-rape execution laws not to mess with the U.S. Constitution. To quote the U.S. Supreme Court: "When the law punishes by death, it risks its own sudden descent into brutality, transgressing the constitutional commitment to decency and restraint." We don't want anymore lies about child-rape executions protecting society from child rapists, because they don't; putting child rapists in jail and locking them up for the rest of their lives should protect society from them, not executions. Read the story from this link: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=2752&scid=64
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Just_Jackie wrote:I agree with Kelly, I think the death penalty for people like that is absolutely acceptable.

The point of putting him to death is not to teach him anything, it's to protect society from him. If the death penalty is "cruel and unusual", was the crime not? Does it not fit? I understand that the victim is still alive...as in shes conscious and all her organs are functioning, but her life is going to be hell for as long as she lives. I mean, she was under 10 years old for God sake. Just how "cruel" does a crime have to be?

I don't know, but death for a crime like child rape is rather merciful considering the child is scarred for life no matter what happens to the criminal. "There are fates worse than death."

Life without the possibility of parole, that is the way to go.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Sizzling Lynn

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I doubt anyone would get paroled after raping a child. It's a gruesome crime but killing won't solve anything. I agree with angeldeb that if rapists began being sentenced to death that would make victems feel even worse about putting them behind bars (as well as rapists themselves killing more victems to make sure they don't tell a soul). I've never been big on killing for justice.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Sizzling Lynn wrote:I doubt anyone would get paroled after raping a child. It's a gruesome crime but killing won't solve anything. I agree with angeldeb that if rapists began being sentenced to death that would make victems feel even worse about putting them behind bars (as well as rapists themselves killing more victems to make sure they don't tell a soul). I've never been big on killing for justice.

Thank you. Finally, someone who understands me. :)
nick007

Postby nick007 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:56 am

I think I kind of understand how your see it but I don't agree with it at all. Victims of rape are scared to come forward because their afraid that if the person gets off or let out of prison, they'l come looking for pay-back. If the option was their to kill em or least keep em locked up and on a chain-gang for the rest of their lives, the victims mite would come forward more because they know that the person won't be able to harm em again
If I had the chance

Essey

Postby Essey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:03 am

Hmm... both point of views seem to have a very good argument... probably why I'm in the middle ground; something better than jail but not as harsh as death.
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:34 am

Has it ever occured to you guys that maybe some children like being rapped? Well if it has your a horribly sick person no child whould but the rapers should be put in jail not killed. Killing them wont do anything but crowd up hell with poor despreat poeple.
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”