Why do anti-depressants only seem to work with alcohol??

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

nick007

Why do anti-depressants only seem to work with alcohol??

Postby nick007 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 pm

I was up in my attic a while ago and started sweating a lot so after I came back down for a bit. I decided to drink one beer witch I know according to the side-effects of anti-depressants you should never drink but I drank before my psych doubled my dosage of Prozac and it didn't seem to affect me at all so I decided to try drinking one just to cool off a bit and relax and I'm not even half-way done with it and I cant stop singing to Madonna songs. I'm feeling happier than I've been awake in a looooooooooooooooong time. Only difference I notice sense the dosage change is that I've been having different dreams but I've been just as depressed as before until I drank. No wonder so many people with depression are alcoholics
If I had the chance
I'd ask the world to dance
And I'll be dancing with myself

Billy Idol~ Dancing With Myself

http://www.myspace.com/nickdouble07
BRMBug

Re: Why do anti-depressants only seem to work with alcohol??

Postby BRMBug » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Maybe they... magnify, multiply, muh, muhh... Damn, I must be tired not to be able to think of the word, but which ever one means that it adds to the effect of the beer, making you extra drunk in a short period of time. That's it. Hey, put on some Scissor Sisters, and see what happens!
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 pm

No, Alcohol just makes you more depressed.
I'm on Prozac, I should know!!

:D
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Michaeloptv wrote:No, Alcohol just makes you more depressed.

Don't be ridiculous. :mrgreen:
nick007

Postby nick007 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:07 am

Maybe it depends on the kind of beer you drink and the dosage of your med. It was one Heineken and I'm taking 40m of Prozac 2wice a day but I'm on other meds too so maybe that's it. Abilify 5m 1ce a day(when I go to bed), Vistaril 25m 3x a day and 0.5m of Clonazepam also 3x a day. It was least 4hours after I had taken any meds and I wasn't planning on taking any for another 4hours so IDK. After the beer wore off, I felt normal excpet kind of tired so I went to bed and when I woke-up I felt like usual so their was no hang-over affect so I don't think I was drunk. I'l guess I'l have to be more carefull when I drink but I very seldom drink so I'l just have to remember to sip it. I'm not planning on drinking again soon unless I have to do some work that makes me hot/sweaty or there's a family gathering I go to but as for as I know nothing coming up but plans change and when it's something I should know, I'm the last to know
If I had the chance
I'd ask the world to dance
And I'll be dancing with myself

Billy Idol~ Dancing With Myself

http://www.myspace.com/nickdouble07
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:25 pm

..That's really odd. I don't think alcohol has ever affected the way my antidepressants work (I'm on 60mg of Cymbalta each day). I've only drank a few times while on the meds, though.. I stopped because of the health risks. I've never heard of alcohol affecting your meds in that particular way, though.. maybe it's got to do with the other meds you're taking?

By the way, I'd be careful with alcohol if you're on that many different kinds of medication. :?
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Not idea a good....
sniff

Alcohol my medication I have taken with and good is it not... umm i forgot.

No seriously, I never had any good experience with alcohol and medication at the same time, I usually end up in a panic attack state, which is kind of weird, I have high anxiety, and alcohol reverses my meds too, making me feel way over wired and strung out, beyond anything Tweek could imagine... instead of calming me down like its supposed to, so I cant (or should say - am not supposed to) drink alcohol or Caffeine ugh this sucks.
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 pm

Don't mix drink and drugs :p

Seriously, you could get some of the worse side effects listed on this page if you keep this up. It must chemically react with the pill, or change the body's system so chemicals in the body react differently to the drug.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Haldol Withdrawal :tweek:

phew glad thats over
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:33 pm

My perscription saids on it not to drink too much...for ovious reasons!!

If I do drink a lot, I go throgh stages of withdrawl.

My stomach just can't handle it.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:11 am

Perhaps it's the alcohol, not the anti-depressents, that are making you feel better :S

I'd love to see if alcohol really does have this effect, and so it's EXPEREMENT TIME! Firstly, prepair a month's worth of small, empty bottles/jars, and fill one quater of them with alcohol, and the rest with water... put some juice in there to obscure the taste of the alcohol and the water, making them taste the same... then lable each with it's contents, and put a brightly coloured post it note over the lable. Leave the room and get someone to shuffle the jars and place them in order. Each day, take your pill with one of the jar's contents, and write the date you took the pill on the coloured label, and weather you felt it was 'working' or not (believed alcohol was there if this hypothesis is correct). at the end of the month (or other time period you select) compile the results, or get someone else to do this for you if you feel too biased, and they can say weather the lables saying you were having 'working' pills were on the same days you drank alcohol, or not, on avarage. THIS would be evidence that alcohol for you at least, has an effect.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:48 am

Alcohol might affect certain anti-depressants because of the general chemistry. I don't know a lot about it, but it does make sense. Same with any other kind of drug, prescription or otherwise.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”