Why would God treat good people badly and bad people goodly?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

allan420

Re: Why would God treat good people badly and bad people goodly?

Postby allan420 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:
cartman04 wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:I'll go get some tea.

whats the occasion?

Because I like to drink tea when I'm wasting my time, and this thread is "Internet Religious Discussion/Bitchfest #13,873,909,414".
So I'll drink my tea and read the same text I've read so many times while others spend time-better spent on learning something new-having another religious discussion that isn't any different from the others.
So, who wants some tea? :wink:

oh man it started when I was a kid with sun tea
but I mean I am a tea-a-holic ? yay

.... I would tell my friend man I'm telling you tea gets you high, green tea gets you high thats why I drink it.. he didn't believe me so I explained further... I said it's not like omg Im so wasted or weed or beer its not like that its just a nice calm mellow good vibe thats green tea to me.

Big-Will wrote:Our God is an assh*le God; he reigns...

Why would God let people die? Why?

Sometimes God takes them, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad. Do you understand?

But then, why does God give us anything to start with?

Well, look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then it would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears that give God his great power.

;)
Props to anyone who knows where those questions and answers came from.

lol

Gotta love the South Park Moderator's choice of words !

also I wanted to say how I once said that to someone how our tears give God his great power ... and they looked at me sideways.. but didn't argue with me
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:14 pm

Because God is cruel.
He wants to see the good people suffer :(

Examples are even in South Park Episodes:
Look up "Cartmanland" and "Kenny Dies".

There is a god, he does exist somewhere, but he is just mean and nasty to people like myself because he actually wants to see how many people actually believe in him with all of the problems they recieve.

It truly sux!! In a way, I don't want to believe in god anymore, because my life is a living hell. Then again, if pdfsmail was here, he would totally agree with me here after the week he has had.

But why we the gifted ones are the ones that suffer? and what is there in the end?? Right now I have no idea, and everytime I turn around, my religion just shrinks to the old people. Mabye a sign that I shouldn't be there :shock:

I cannot get my way at anything right now...and I am beginning to lose it. The economy screwed me over. I cannot transfer schools, I cannot get a decent job, and I cannot even watch the new SP episode tonight. And yet, I go to church, I pray and believe in God, and this is the payment: PUNISHMENT! :evil:
"Where I go, Destruction will follow"

I am a hybrid of Butters, Tweek, and Clyde.

Official Winner of Page 1900!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Michaeloptv wrote:
There is a god, he does exist somewhere, but he is just mean and nasty to people like myself because he actually wants to see how many people actually believe in him with all of the problems they recieve.

It truly sux!! In a way, I don't want to believe in god anymore, because my life is a living hell. Then again, if pdfsmail was here, he would totally agree with me here after the week he has had.

But why we the gifted ones are the ones that suffer? and what is there in the end?? Right now I have no idea, and everytime I turn around, my religion just shrinks to the old people. Mabye a sign that I shouldn't be there :shock:

I cannot get my way at anything right now...and I am beginning to lose it. The economy screwed me over. I cannot transfer schools, I cannot get a decent job, and I cannot even watch the new SP episode tonight. And yet, I go to church, I pray and believe in God, and this is the payment: PUNISHMENT! :evil:

Hang in there, man. Sometimes it just takes time for things to get better or to get an opportunity to make good things happen for yourself.
rc_sp

Postby rc_sp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:45 pm

my opinion is this: life is probably more subjective than you may think and if you leave everything up to the imagination of God then you're screwing yourself over. Take control over your own life and stop blaming God for sh*t that He doesn't really care about. Good things happen to both bad people and good people. Bad people just happen to break the rules every now and then to get their way so it only seems like they have some kind of "divine blessing" whereas good people follow the "rules" and theyby get walked on by the bad people who do not.
And some of it is just pure coincidence, granted I use this term loosely because I do not entirely believe that EVERYthing is coincidence.
GALL!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 am

hy does god let these stupid debates about him carry on forever and ever and ever? read the standford encyclopedia of philosophy article on the problem of evil, particarly the last paragraph.

If God exists, he is perfect, and as such beyond subjective concepts like 'good people' and 'bad people.' He understands that people only ever do what they were destined, by their past and the laws of nature, to do. WHY he created a set of laws that led to so much objective suffering and pain, and allowed so many to not-believe in him and damn themselves, I'll never know.

Perhaps our concepts of good and evil are wholly wrong. Perhaps in his omniscience, God has come to realise something we could never know. However, it's as likely that there are evils in the world we don't know about because of our ignorance as it is that there are unknow goods, so this hidden virtues argument fails. Unless of course his omniscience showed him that there is no such thing as good or evil, because our maker seems pretty impartial to such considerations, hence the need for a judgment after death.

It could be that he was incapable of NOT creating everything that is logically possible, including good worlds and bad worlds, because otherwise he would not be the greatest creator there could be. If there is a god.

Though South Park was right as hell about YHWH and most other traditional religion's gods, they pretty explicitly live off the tears of the innocent :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:07 am

Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even he could not eat it?
rc_sp

Postby rc_sp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:20 am

Pip Tweek wrote:Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even he could not eat it?

This is an amusing paradox. God supposedly is the "greatest thing than that which can be thought". So if God is the greatest thing, then he could not possibly create a burrito that would be too great for Him to handle. The burrito itself would then have a god-like quality. God cannot create anything that is greater than himself, this is a human quality that God possibly could not be concieved to do.

However, saying that God can be limited to anything caps his greatness. If mere humans can create atomic bombs that wipe out entire civilizations then why couldn't God nuke a really really really hot burriot? but i guess we could just suppose that maybe God doesn't like burritos. *shrug*
GALL!
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 am

Yes!
He uses the SUN! :wink: :D

I'm just sick of being such a 'goody-goody'
But my parents would kill me if I did otherwise.

And frankly, that's just the way I was brought up.
My mentality could never go along with anything else :?

allan420

Postby allan420 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:34 am

lol

Michael

I hope your parents aren't the feds.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 pm

God gets the all important "get out of non-existance free" card for the omnipotence paradox as theists can use the whole, God = logic or the slightly banal God invented logic and as such God > logic arguments. If god is higher than logic there's no reason he can't do contradictory things like eat that burito he can't eat, hide under a cardboard box he can't hide under, kill himself and live forever, be all good and all evil and exist and not exist at the same time. That last one is a bit of a doozy. If he IS logic though, things are less problematic, because everything is based off logic, but the question of why the personal, non-logic elements of him are nescicary remains.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:19 pm

lol

Michael

I hope your parents aren't the feds.

Nope. My dad does work as a tax filer for lawyers though. :wink:

But our family is in such turmoil. We have no money! And yet my parents are extremely religious people.

I am worried about this economic struggle right now, and what the future lies ahead. :(

CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 pm

Aym_Dand wrote:Probably because you're a loser.

haha j/p

My advice would be to remove God from the equation and concentrate on the things over which you have control. If you are being treated unfairly, make it known to your boss, and if your boss is the problem, make it known to his or her boss. Or just do your job half-assed like the rest of us.

Worrying about God's Intervention Strategy is, in my opinion, a waste of time. If God truly did create this amazing, massive, complex, ever-changing and expanding universe, then how could our little monkey brains possibly understand any of God's intentions or interventions?

It's best not to worry about it.

You're right! :D
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 am

Pip Tweek wrote:Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even he could not eat it?

Could he make a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it?

The answer to both is "no." A burrito so hot would just burn up and he'd eat the ashes. :lol: A rock so heavy is impossible in space because there's not much gravity there - he could just hurl a comet at us. :D
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 am

Big-Will wrote:

Could he make a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it?

The answer to both is "no." A burrito so hot would just burn up and he'd eat the ashes. :lol: A rock so heavy is impossible in space because there's not much gravity there - he could just hurl a comet at us. :D

This debate was a lot funnier on the Simpsons when Homer was stoned and he asked Flanders if God could microwave a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it.
shadowsfall979

Postby shadowsfall979 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:37 pm

Im going to be honest Im catholic. I look at it this way God gave us free will and things happen for reasons. That of which he has no control over. When he gave us free will he gave us our right to choose to do right and wrong. Some people are dicks to others and thats just them. Please dont hate me for being what religion I am though. I love it how most of the catholic community hates this show yet more people at my church watch it than any other show. Thats my opinion. Sorry to hear that though life is a bitch.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”