Why would God treat good people badly and bad people goodly?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

superiorsavior

Re: Why would God treat good people badly and bad people goodly?

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:55 am

I'm Interested in what you have to say about "morality"
Well I take a pretty standard preference Utalitarian view myself; the best thing is that which fulfils the most preferences or desires, and the worst thing is that which lets the most desires go unfulfilled. It's the only view which doesn't rely upon the idea of 'desert' and can addaquatly explain why evil things that don't have human causes (earthquakes, etc) are bad.

God might not treat good people badly or bad people well, if their is no such thing as good or bad people, but he still lets people suffer unnescicarilly; there's no utalitarian good in allowing people to suffer when you could achieve any side goods through your omnipotence in ways that don't involve suffering.

So who in that arguement is right?

This is just one of the many points of disagreement between followers of different sects of christianity, and between members of the same sect. All the unresolvable disagreememnt between the hundreds of thousands of different kinds of christianity are as problematic for the notion of god as the problem of different competing faiths.

Stay in school and pay attention

WTF? School teachers know the answers to all life's big questions already? Here I was thinking that the argument RAISED by those questions (the probability of your particular god being true, even if God is true) had no convincing answers :p
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:56 am

Indica wrote:
M00ndragon69 wrote:
And yet another arguement would be if God has bad things happen to good people, does he do it so they will be spiritually stronger, or does it happen because God is punishing them for f*cking up in some way?

First off it's argument and that which you are identifying as arguments are, in fact, questions.

Your first paragraph, well, I just don't have any mental motivation to tear that apart for you. I just don't see the point. If the capacity to fathom were there, yes. When it isn't, well it loses its jocularity.

Stay in school and pay attention. :timmy:

Honey, considering the fact that I not only graduated highschool 12 years ago, and after that I went to community college for a number of years, I probably have had much more schooling than you have. There is also a good chance I know more about religions in general because in that community college I took philosphy of relgion and classes that covered a lot of various religions and the histories behind them such as history of ancient civilizations and anthropology. I got As in all of those classes and I got an A on a research paper I did on shamanism for anthropology. Plus I research things about religion, and not just my own, for fun. So if you think you can talk down to me, you are going to loose.

Now the questions I just posed have nothing to do with my own beliefs. I said arguements because I was talking about debate points on this subject. I am by no means a Christian, but I know many who have many different ideas on who or what God is. So isn't it logical that people with different ideas about who or what God is are going to answer the main question of this thread differently? It seems that SS got the questions, so since you didn't get it I will spill it out for you. No one is going to win this debate. I bet no one here on this board has the exact same ideas about God, no one is going to change what they believe over a thread on here, so no one is going to win. I was simply posing a few more questions people can argue about ( things that people already to argue about in the field of religion, only not on this board so far) to further show that this topic does not have a simple answer.

So why did I offfend you to the point where you felt the need to try to attack my intelligence?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:58 am

Mentioning God on a forum is only ever going to the thing flooding with ad hominims and other assorted nasties, even forums about religion alone don't mannage to avoid it usually.

There isn't really any more chance of 'wining' this debate than of wining the 'last person to post wins' thread; I see forum topics like this as more just a place to exchange ideas. Though your whole philosophy will determine what answer you give to this question, and that isn't a system that's likely to change because of one new piece of information from a thread.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 am

superiorsavior wrote:Mentioning God on a forum is only ever going to the thing flooding with ad hominims and other assorted nasties, even forums about religion alone don't mannage to avoid it usually.

There isn't really any more chance of 'wining' this debate than of wining the 'last person to post wins' thread; I see forum topics like this as more just a place to exchange ideas. Though your whole philosophy will determine what answer you give to this question, and that isn't a system that's likely to change because of one new piece of information from a thread.

I beg to differ.

New info can, and even old info can change your views. Depends on your state of mind and willingness to look at your most sacredly held beliefs.

That's how I became an Atheist.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:12 am

That's how I became an Atheist.

It's one of the reasons I became an atheist as well. Looks like I've changed a lot since I posted that; it was mostly a piece of spineless party line bull. The influence of an internet debate on most people's lives will be minor but if someone's open minded, hasn't had much in the way of irreligious or religious indoctrination from any group, or is close to the edge already, and hears enough to spark their curiosity and personal research, then internet arguments CAN change people's opinions. Though it's best not to expect them to, and no amount of logic will 'win' against some people, they have to be in the right state of mind.

As to the topic of this thread; a god would be unjust if he didn't care about justice. It's easy to define a god in such a way; look at the greek gods. Perhaps our conception of what a 'good' and 'bad' person is, is false, perhaps such distinctions are on the grand scale meaningless, perhaps goodness doesn't alone deserve reward and evil alone deserve punishment. Maybe the god was too weak or foolish to create optimum good without risking or causing some evil in the short term.

Now why an omnipotent god who believed in justice could? Only by being a round square.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”