We All Die in 2012?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

triplemultiplex

Re: We All Die in 2012?

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:12 pm

I've never interpreted the 2012 Mayan calender reset as a literal "end of the world" because that's not what their mythology would have you believe. Rather, 2012 is supposed to be a period of dramatic change in human civilization. A transition, if you will. And four years out, it's pretty obvious that change is already happening:

We are experiencing the global oil peak right now.

The world's economies are taking their biggest dive in three generations.

The most influential superpower on the planet finds itself being surpassed by China, a country posed to dominate this century the way America did the last.

Explosive growth in human populations is leading to starvation, warfare and genocide in Africa and crazy new diseases world wide.

Future generations will mark this period in history; the years before and after 2012; and note them as the defining period in human civilization where we went from the way things were to the way things are.

The question is, will we rise to the next level as a kick-ass civilization, or buckle under our own weight and enter a 21st century Dark Ages? I'd say the odds are about even right now.

That's the Triplemultiplex interpretation of 2012.

You read it! You can't unread it!
cartman04

Postby cartman04 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:39 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:The question is, will we rise to the next level as a kick-ass civilization, or buckle under our own weight and enter a 21st century Dark Ages? I'd say the odds are about even right now.

That's the Triplemultiplex interpretation of 2012.

i said i wasnt to comment on this subject again but this caught my eye.
if what you are saying is true, we'll probably live in a another dark age :cry:
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:00 pm

As such, the standard Triplemultiplex response is never without some cause for reflection. Yeah, this is definitely a time of change, but I think it's optimistic to say the odds are 50-50.

As much as I would love to see a REAL "new world order" come about as a result of these chaotic times, I feel that civilization is far more likely to enter a new Dark Ages than to rise to a new Renaissance. :(

However, the emergence of China as a superpower could be the key to the dawning of a new great global civilization. I see the potential for a grand fusion between "western" philosophy and "eastern" philosophy. At some point, we all have to come to the realization that we occupy this planet, the world, together. We can't have enemies amongst ourselves. The time of greed and materialism, competition, and war may die as it should, and be replaced with compassion and love, creation and prosperity for all.

Either that, or we're all doomed.
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:51 pm

Change? It is happening NOW!!
The economy is in shambles, our government is in ruins, and all this talk of Nuclear Warfare.......and did I mention the society of the children and thier "I don't care anymore" attitude? :|

and people don't think that all these global catosphies will hinder the terms of destruction:

Chiniese Earthquakes
Hurricane Katrina
Indonesia Tsunaumi
Melting of the polar Icecap
California Wildfires

So, Cali....when is the next "BIG ONE" :wink:
and for those living in Florida, when is the next "KATRINA" :P

The world will end one day, and it won't be pretty. :(
"Where I go, Destruction will follow"

I am a hybrid of Butters, Tweek, and Clyde.

Official Winner of Page 1900!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:07 am

It is pretty wierd that the date appears to be coinciding with such a period of change... but every deccade is a period of change when you're living through it. Wouldn't a person in the 1960's think the cold war was an apocyliptic cataclysm waiting to happen as great as Global Warming? Would a person living in the 1970's think their social changes were any less extreme than the Oil Crisis? Wouldn't a person in the 1990's think the computer revolution more important than our economic changes?

Though it is strange that such extreme events are predicted to happen all at once, at this point in history. The date was probably just due to changes in the stars in the sky that made them difficult to read or something. I'm just skeptical of using any Mayan magic, considering thers was a society of stone age thugs who sacrificed small children to guarantee the rains and ended up destroying their own ecosystem.

Fusing eastern and western philosophy wouldn't quite deserve the title "the end of teh world," especially as it has more or less happend over the last century. Our political and philosophical ideas arn't that different really.

The end of the world won't be the end of the world, or at least isn't likely to be, in any real sense. This society as we know it will end. Probably grind to a halt as it runs out of fuel. A new society will take it's place. Change will go on and mankind will develop. Eventually, all our decendents will be killed. But life on Earth will continue unhindered, as it has following all the other mass extinctions, for billions of years, until long after our eventual demise, the sun burns out. Perhaps our world will even see another intelligent speciese evolve on it's face in the intermissent time. But all our worlds will end much, much sooner than that. Within the next century, at the greatest, all of us will be no more, and the fate of this world and it's inhabitants will no longer be of our concern. Until that day, we must make the most of the time we have, and stop worrying about mysterious future cataclysms.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:14 am

The future, man. It's like, so futuristic. :timmy:
Last edited by Pip Tweek on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:11 am

I never said South Park would die. This show is IMMORTAL :D
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:25 am

We aren't going to enter into a new dark age.
We aren't going to have a new world order.
We aren't going to undergo a rapid evolutionary change.
The economy is sh*t now but it has been even worse before and will likely be even worse sometime in the future.
The government has been more f*cked up before and possibly will be more f*cked up in the future.
Humanity will not suddenly do a 180 and become a great bastion of care and love.
The world has faced worse crises than this and many of them aren't even the subject of intensive study by your average student.

Nothing spectacular or horrible will happen in 2012. You will wake up on the first day of 2013 and you won't be sporting psychic powers, new limbs, the ability to reproduce asexually, or in a world devoid of food, technology, war, or oil(Much less, still there). You will also not be walking around a radiation scarred wasteland, a utopia, or riding horseback across the steppes.

Seriously, stop being so damn melodramatic and arrogant*. This talk about 2012 is fueled about 90% by the internet and 13-year olds who don't realize that it just isn't going to happen.

And I'll repeat this again: IF this had any basis in reality and presented even a smidgen of an actual threat, don't you think at least one government on the Earth would be preparing in some way?

*People who say, "This is the defining period of human civilization." are annoying. I meet them too often. :lol:
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:03 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:We aren't going to enter into a new dark age.
We aren't going to have a new world order.
We aren't going to undergo a rapid evolutionary change.

Nothing spectacular or horrible will happen in 2012.

*People who say, "This is the defining period of human civilization." are annoying. I meet them too often. :lol:

Aw, heck, can't we just have fun with the idea? :lol:
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:15 pm

NO FUN IS PERMITTED IN ANY THREAD I POST IN.

Did you not get the memo? :|
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:35 pm

:oops: No. No one around here tells me anything. :P

Anyway, my remarks about 2012 were sort of an alternative response to what I rationally believe, which is : "2012? That's gay."

Rush's 2112 is a more believable story.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:58 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:NO FUN IS PERMITTED IN ANY THREAD I POST IN.

Did you not get the memo? :|

HEY! That's my line! You're getting on probation mister!!!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Big-Will, it is in your general direction where I shall aim my rectum and unleash my anal gases.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:00 pm

NO FUN IS PERMITTED IN ANY THREAD I POST IN

This thread, like any that seriously inquires about the 2012 fiasco, is teh lulz before anyone says anything. There's nothing anyone can do (Even you) to remove the fun from a 2012 thread.

Of course this is the defining period of human civilisation; I'm living through it so it must be the most important time EVAR.

IF i get the cash I might go to that temple in mexico the end is supposed to happen in at 2012, it'd be a good holiday, and i'd get to lol at all the end-timers when a giant snake of darkness doesn't come out of it. Then again, they might sacrifice me :o
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

allan420

Postby allan420 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:50 pm

superiorsavior wrote:It is pretty wierd that the date appears to be coinciding with such a period of change... but every deccade is a period of change when you're living through it. Wouldn't a person in the 1960's think the cold war was an apocyliptic cataclysm waiting to happen as great as Global Warming? Would a person living in the 1970's think their social changes were any less extreme than the Oil Crisis? Wouldn't a person in the 1990's think the computer revolution more important than our economic changes?

Though it is strange that such extreme events are predicted to happen all at once, at this point in history. The date was probably just due to changes in the stars in the sky that made them difficult to read or something. I'm just skeptical of using any Mayan magic, considering thers was a society of stone age thugs who sacrificed small children to guarantee the rains and ended up destroying their own ecosystem.

Fusing eastern and western philosophy wouldn't quite deserve the title "the end of teh world," especially as it has more or less happend over the last century. Our political and philosophical ideas arn't that different really.

The end of the world won't be the end of the world, or at least isn't likely to be, in any real sense. This society as we know it will end. Probably grind to a halt as it runs out of fuel. A new society will take it's place. Change will go on and mankind will develop. Eventually, all our decendents will be killed. But life on Earth will continue unhindered, as it has following all the other mass extinctions, for billions of years, until long after our eventual demise, the sun burns out. Perhaps our world will even see another intelligent speciese evolve on it's face in the intermissent time. But all our worlds will end much, much sooner than that. Within the next century, at the greatest, all of us will be no more, and the fate of this world and it's inhabitants will no longer be of our concern. Until that day, we must make the most of the time we have, and stop worrying about mysterious future cataclysms.

wow

you just made me think really hard
that rarely happens online - :lol:

we were working and a Hawaiian girl said to me .. in 1000 years this is not going to matter anyway

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”