favorite first person shooter video game ?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

allan420
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 am

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby allan420 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 am

gtaca2005 wrote:Maybe Hat or someone can answer this:

I am cheap and poor, so what game for PC would you recommend for my laptop with these specs:
CPU: 1.7ghz P-Mobile (Equal to 2.4ghz P4)
Video: Only 96mb video ram. :(
RAM: 1gb
OS: Windows XP SP3

NOTE: GTA: SA plays good, so a game with similar requirements should be fine. :wink:

I want a game with GOOD graphics with relatively low requirements. So don't post it if I only meet the lowest requirements. I want to play fast and smooth. :wink:


I hate to tell you .... your video is taken off your main system memory, leaving you with a very slow gpu and that also means you don't have a full 1GB upper system memory

Personally, I would not game on that notebook, however, that does not mean you cannot.
gtaca2005
Posts: 3915
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:36 am

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:35 am

allan420 wrote:
gtaca2005 wrote:Maybe Hat or someone can answer this:

I am cheap and poor, so what game for PC would you recommend for my laptop with these specs:
CPU: 1.7ghz P-Mobile (Equal to 2.4ghz P4)
Video: Only 96mb video ram. :(
RAM: 1gb
OS: Windows XP SP3

NOTE: GTA: SA plays good, so a game with similar requirements should be fine. :wink:

I want a game with GOOD graphics with relatively low requirements. So don't post it if I only meet the lowest requirements. I want to play fast and smooth. :wink:


I hate to tell you .... your video is taken off your main system memory, leaving you with a very slow gpu and that also means you don't have a full 1GB upper system memory

Personally, I would not game on that notebook, however, that does not mean you cannot.

Well, 928mb is still good, is there any recommendations? Perhaps an FPS with free online?
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Quintuplets_Father
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:02 pm

sory for keeping this offtopic alive, but i have to help the man...
gtaca2005 wrote:I am cheap and poor, so what game for PC would you recommend for my laptop with these specs:
CPU: 1.7ghz P-Mobile (Equal to 2.4ghz P4)
Video: Only 96mb video ram. :(
RAM: 1gb
OS: Windows XP SP3

NOTE: GTA: SA plays good, so a game with similar requirements should be fine. :wink:

I want a game with GOOD graphics with relatively low requirements.

one of my older systems is very similar, but is not a laptop:
CPU: Athlon XP 1300MHz
RAM: 512MB
GPU: GeForce2 GTS 32MB DDR
OS: Windows XP SP2

u said GTA SA goes smooth so i will assume the graphics cards are similar as performances..
don't be affraid of playing older games, u have a system to enjoy them better than u might have at their release time..

maybe u dont play UT99 like me.. but Serious Sam - First Encounter (2001) and Serious Sam - Second Encounter (2002) (not Serious Sam 2) are some FPS's which every respectfull gamer should know, they will run great.
NFS Underground 2 (2004 - race) will run also great on your system, I am not sure about NFS Most Wanted u could be lucky. but u wont enjoy the full details..... as u could with NFS U2.
Rome - Total War (2004 - tactical/strategy) would be nice to try.. though on some laptops i noticed it just wont run right (some HW incompatibility)
From Legacy of Kain: episodes Soul Reaver (1999), Soul Reaver 2 (2001), Defiance (2003) these Adventure/3rd Person Action are an example that many older games were more original that today's games, i reccomend u to play only these 3 episodes from the series..

So i gave u some examples from various genres, but u can try anything from that range of years. my brother even succeded on playing some game released in 2005 with full details.. probably based on some older graphic engine. Remember that some exceptions can just apply due to some specific incompatibilities...

happy playing :)
and btw: i broke the dam...
gtaca2005
Posts: 3915
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:36 am

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Quintuplets_Father wrote:sory for keeping this offtopic alive, but i have to help the man...
gtaca2005 wrote:I am cheap and poor, so what game for PC would you recommend for my laptop with these specs:
CPU: 1.7ghz P-Mobile (Equal to 2.4ghz P4)
Video: Only 96mb video ram. :(
RAM: 1gb
OS: Windows XP SP3

NOTE: GTA: SA plays good, so a game with similar requirements should be fine. :wink:

I want a game with GOOD graphics with relatively low requirements.

one of my older systems is very similar, but is not a laptop:
CPU: Athlon XP 1300MHz
RAM: 512MB
GPU: GeForce2 GTS 32MB DDR
OS: Windows XP SP2

u said GTA SA goes smooth so i will assume the graphics cards are similar as performances..
don't be affraid of playing older games, u have a system to enjoy them better than u might have at their release time..

maybe u dont play UT99 like me.. but Serious Sam - First Encounter (2001) and Serious Sam - Second Encounter (2002) (not Serious Sam 2) are some FPS's which every respectfull gamer should know, they will run great.
NFS Underground 2 (2004 - race) will run also great on your system, I am not sure about NFS Most Wanted u could be lucky. but u wont enjoy the full details..... as u could with NFS U2.
Rome - Total War (2004 - tactical/strategy) would be nice to try.. though on some laptops i noticed it just wont run right (some HW incompatibility)
From Legacy of Kain: episodes Soul Reaver (1999), Soul Reaver 2 (2001), Defiance (2003) these Adventure/3rd Person Action are an example that many older games were more original that today's games, i reccomend u to play only these 3 episodes from the series..

So i gave u some examples from various genres, but u can try anything from that range of years. my brother even succeded on playing some game released in 2005 with full details.. probably based on some older graphic engine. Remember that some exceptions can just apply due to some specific incompatibilities...

happy playing :)

I'm getting NFSU2 as we speak. :D

I had no idea the requirements were that low! :shock:

EDIT:

Never mind, that is on the lowest settings, and it looks bad after I installed it. :(

At least I downloaded it and didn't buy it. :mrgreen:
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
bumpa
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby bumpa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:57 am

UT.. mods and maps between unreal and UT made fps so much more exciting.. "bathroom" map was the best.. camping maps. the orginal weaponlord mod.. unrealed (3dsmax) was the coolest thing a fps ever did
Quintuplets_Father
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:07 am

gtaca2005 wrote:I'm getting NFSU2 as we speak. :D

I had no idea the requirements were that low! :shock:

EDIT:

Never mind, that is on the lowest settings, and it looks bad after I installed it. :(


Sorry to hear that.. but try one more thing: i remember that on every PC i installed it, at the first run, the game had texture filtering disabled, looking like Doom (1), without me being able to do anything about it.. the problem was getting fixed by itself at the next game restart. Also try to see how much details u can get in video settings... if still no luck then the onboard graphics chipset must be really poor.. i could install NFSU2 on a system using GeForce2 MX 64bit (this is not the memory) which is much worse than a 128 bit card, and ran fine, but because the card was stupid at a point, it couldn't draw the projected lights from my car...
and btw: i broke the dam...
shadowsfall979
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:25 am

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby shadowsfall979 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Resident Evil Survivor. I lover Re and this fps was awesome.
milikatili
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby milikatili » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Offline: Call of duty finest hour

Online: Counter Strike 1.6 :D
Pordha e madhe gris breket e veta...
johnedwards
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby johnedwards » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:39 pm

Conter Strike is my favorite, still to this day.
Michaeloptv
Posts: 3545
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby Michaeloptv » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52 pm

By FAR.....I love Goldeneye for N64 :D

I am not into shooting games too much, and yet, I always loved that one because I love bond/007.
"Where I go, Destruction will follow"


I am a hybrid of Butters, Tweek, and Clyde.

Official Winner of Page 1900!
superiorsavior
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:04 pm

No one's said the South Park Game :?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Mr. Hat_DX27
Posts: 3616
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:56 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:Well, 928mb is still good, is there any recommendations? Perhaps an FPS with free online?

Having an actual video card makes a REALLY HUGE difference when it comes to current-gen PC games.

I’ll use BioShock as an example.

I got one of those nForce motherboards on my new system. The GPU has about 512 GB of video memory, but naturally it’s at the cost of my system’s memory, so I only had about 800 MB showing up in System Properties. I was able to play BioShock pretty smoothly, but only while all the settings were pretty much at it’s lowest value, especially the screen resolution. Now I’m not a huge graphics whore, but even I thought it looked pretty blah, plus 640x480 made some pixilated text hard to read.

Then a few weeks ago I managed to score a GeForce 8600 GT, plugged that in, and now not only does it show a full gig of RAM in system props, but my system in general is running a lot faster now. Then I tried playing BioShock again, and now it runs smoother with almost all the settings at highest value than it did with the previous setup.

Now, this is easy for me to say, because my computer is a desktop. Laptops are not so easy, because getting new chipset hardware for those things is a bitch.

Now I can already tell that Crysis is out of the question. :P

Have you ever played the System Shock games? They’re really good. The first one is a bit of a bitch to get working on Windows XP, since it runs natively in DOS, but SS2, which, although needing some patching to get working sometimes, is a lot more smooth playing, uses little to no system memory (being made in the late-90’s), and is creepy as hell for it’s time. It’s got an online co-op multiplayer, however it’s buggy and sucks.

Deus Ex is another good one, though it’s a bit more well-known so you’ve probably played that one already. Seeing how it’s made on the classic Unreal engine, it’s also not a system hog.

Duke Nukem 3D? XD

I’ll probably think of some more later. :P
Image
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
gtaca2005
Posts: 3915
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:36 am

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:
gtaca2005 wrote:Well, 928mb is still good, is there any recommendations? Perhaps an FPS with free online?

Having an actual video card makes a REALLY HUGE difference when it comes to current-gen PC games.

I know. But, remember this is a laptop. :(

(That "upgradable" PC i scored.... Ugh... I gave it a bad bios update and the MoBo is dead.....)
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
superiorsavior
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:57 am

I don't even KNOW if I have a video card in my computer :S

This is why I prefer console gaming, people XD
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Pip Tweek
Posts: 5101
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:15 am

Re: favorite first person shooter video game ?

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:08 am

The granddaddy of them all, DOOM!!!

Totally dated by today's standards, but still so very playable.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests