Product Placement in Season Finale

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Erthan

Product Placement in Season Finale

Postby Erthan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:56 am

I was wondering why there was more product placement in this episode than in any other episode.

Examples:
Clamato
Cheetos
Hot Topic
Rice A Roni
Hamburger Helper
Reconsummation

Re: Product Placement in Season Finale

Postby Reconsummation » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:11 am

When Butters runs into the computer lab in the back on the wall there is a picture of Mac & PC. :lol:
- Tom-
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:34 am

I never thought I'd see that. I like their fake products, like Cheesy Poofs, Snacky Cakes. Or Dr Pep-er, for that matter.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Jaber612

Postby Jaber612 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:57 am

Didn't they mention Nes quick also?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Can't forget the major placement of the latest Call of Duty in the opening scene.

Of course, that probably falls into the category of "M&T just like the latest video game" more so than a product placement. I'd bet dollars to donuts they didn't get a cent for doing that.

Speaking of which, as soon as I'm done here, I've got to resume the storming of the Riechstad.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 am

I'm sure they'll get something for featuring the game. Not as much as WoW, but something.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
bumpa

Postby bumpa » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:22 am

i was like... there really is a p f changs?? lol

never heard of clamato either
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:57 am

Of course there's a P.F. Chang's. (though I've never been to one) The only fictional restaraunts in South Park are Bucca di Faggochini (which is actually based on Bucca di Beppo ...I think) and that Buffet place that I can't think of the name of right now.

Edit: KING JIMMY'S BUFFET! I knew I'd get it eventually.
bumpa

Postby bumpa » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:44 pm

i'm sure there's gotta be country kitchen buffet somewhere in the world.. never been to p f chang's either.. my mom says theyre kind of expensive.. plus i'd be too tempted to go in and say to the hostess "as you can see, we are chinese people ourselves"
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:58 pm

They'd be allowed to feature the game without it being shameless product placement if it had any relevence to the plot or humour, but it was a throway advert within a show, basically. I was waiting half the episode for them to have the nazi-zombies attack, like twighlight's wearwoolvs, the vampires, or kids dressed as nazi zombies, it was a perfect opportunity but one they missed. The Blood Rain and Twighlight references were a bit placementy thinking about it but they were sources of plot so are allowed. Tis the only reason I can see for that scene, and it pleases me none. The hot topic can be included, because it's the thing being parrodied. But unless it's the source of the plot or humour it's just product placeing. Plus I don't get to see funny fakes anymore :'(
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:24 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Can't forget the major placement of the latest Call of Duty in the opening scene.

Of course, that probably falls into the category of "M&T just like the latest video game" more so than a product placement. I'd bet dollars to donuts they didn't get a cent for doing that.

Speaking of which, as soon as I'm done here, I've got to resume the storming of the Riechstad.

Reichstag, comrade.

And remember: You are the beating heart of the Russian army. As long as you survive...

Anywho, I don't think there is any overt, "LOL, PRODUCT PLACEMENT FTLULZ." in there. Clamato works as a fine sub for blood. Nes Quick and Hamburger Helper are common in homes.
For Hot Topic, they basically rooted it down to the source of evil(see: lameness) and burned it down. Don't think it is a product placement.

CoD: WaW's inclusion was to show that the kids were far more advanced than mackey and weren't even listening. Plus, Matt and Trey love games.

In all, I don't see any overt attempt at product placement.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:10 am

I can't think they were paid for any of the placements, I'm just sad to see the punny fake products die. The hot topic stuff was integral to the plot, like the wallmart in the wallmart episode. The COD stuff was a good call out to the phenomenon but wasn't important plotwise nor very funny, it just seemed to last forever without doing much.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
KantoV

Postby KantoV » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:46 am

I'm sure we'll still see the fictional products around. I don't mind product placement as long as it isn't being shoved down my throat. People identify with the characters more because of it. Also, why shouldn't they profit from their hard work?
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:40 pm

superiorsavior wrote:I can't think they were paid for any of the placements, I'm just sad to see the punny fake products die. The hot topic stuff was integral to the plot, like the wallmart in the wallmart episode. The COD stuff was a good call out to the phenomenon but wasn't important plotwise nor very funny, it just seemed to last forever without doing much.

And I'm of the opinion that it was very funny- it played well with mackey's stuttering attempts at teaching the kids when he himself is far more in need of computer training. That, and to be honest, we never see the all the kids engaged in something, enjoying it, and bantering back and forth anymore. It was my favorite scene, and I got more LOL-per-frame in that scene than in the rest of the episode.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Well, personally, I was happy to see BeBe own Cartman...lol...middle finger and all. I was thrilled to see female gamers well represented. Anyway, I have CoD4 but as soon as I got it everyone stopped playing it. :( So, I've been working on Dead Rising.

BTW Shane, I finally got my Mega Buster. :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”