A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Buttersnut

Kick a Ginger Day

Postby Buttersnut » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Just_Jackie

Re: Kick a Ginger Day

Postby Just_Jackie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Ummm...how exactly is this South Park's fault?

South Park did not invent the term "ginger". It was around long before South Park and at no time was there a "kick a ginger" day in the show. These Facebook people came up with that on their own.

Parents must really not want to believe that their kids are just f*cking stupid.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Someone sent me an e-mail about this thinking it deserved a mention on my site. I declined.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 pm

South Park didn't really help with ginger themed 'racism' at my school, where Cartman is seen as second only to Stewie Grithin as a God. Then again, we do have more than our fair shair of the icky little blighters. But from what I hear from older, traffic-cone haired relitives of mine, ginger jokes are older than colour TV. Literally kicking ginger kids is fubar.

Hey, why did they say there wern't any vampires in the newest south park episode, don't they know gigner people exist :shock:
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm

yeah, this was bound to happen, but not because its sp's fault

most of the people that watch south park get the point of the show, that it mostly takes the piss out of how ridiculous descriminations, racists acts, stupid preconceptions and close minded beliefs are (as we can very well see by watching cartman in many many episodes)

but with so much ofensiveness it's bound to attract the few retards that actually are like cartman and agree with some or all of his beliefs, and take the show the wrong way and use it to do this idiotic stuff
its sad really :roll:
Last edited by jewish pride on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buttersnut

Postby Buttersnut » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 am

Looks like there were plenty more cases.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/ ... ttack.html

Dumbassed kids.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:10 am

Those kids deserve to have their lame little asse's kicked. It is stupid sh*t like this that makes certain people freak out about how impressionable teens and children are and then my favorite cartoons and horror movies get censored.There are plenty of kids on this board who are not that stupid. If any of these kids who are involved in this sh*t show up here is a message for them. You are idiots. You are making all South Park fans look bad, and some of my best friends have red hair and freckles, so be glad I don't know where you live or I would do more than just kick you. Stupid brats.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Lovw how parents are willing to blame anything except themselves and their prescious little babbies for what their kids do.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

KantoV

Postby KantoV » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:55 am

superiorsavior wrote:Lovw how parents are willing to blame anything except themselves and their prescious little babbies for what their kids do.

You hit the nail on the head with that fo sho. I'm pretty strict with my son, and for the most part he is a damn good kid.
Sure wouldn't do something that foolish.
Satiricality

Postby Satiricality » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:18 am

Well, South Park and Facebook have been positioned as scapegoats which is hardly new in either case, although SP has more experience being in people's crosshairs.

For bonus points, notice the headline in the CBC article (the second link) and its connection to another South Park episode that many of the posters in that comment thread would probably miss the point of as well.

Obviously, getting badly beaten up isn't fun or cool. And most of the kids at that school get that and understood that the prank was clearly taken way too f*cking far by the handful of kids involved.

Unfortunately, like life imitating art, watch the adults overreact and take retardation to new levels. I wonder where some kids get that kind of stupid, mob mentality behavior from? Surely not all the well-adjusted, intelligent adult role models we have in our society.

I think South Park has always been more about laughing your ass off and maybe thinking for yourself a little bit; not encouraging people to act like retards and hurt others or themselves because of something on TV, or relying on institutions and the police to think for you, but that's just me.
geekman

Postby geekman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi there. First-time, and last-time poster.

I've been a South Park fan since the very beginning. It's been a very long haul. And there have been some great times. And I've defended South Park a lot from people who would love to see it censored. My opinion is that in satire, everything is ripe for parody.

I've also got red hair.

Now, when the ginger kids episode aired, I was of course a bit annoyed, but decided to take it in stride. When the DVD came out, I listened to the micro-commentary for the episode, and was rather displeased to find out that this hate-on for "gingers" was actually a genuine sentiment of the Trey Parker.

Then in the intervening years I saw an increasing amount of aggression towards kids with red hair. Climaxing in this "kick a ginger" day we've all heard about by now.

And yes, the word "ginger" existed before South Park. And yes, kids will find an excuse to pick on anyone who is different than them. But I'm really sick of absolving Matt and Trey of any responsibility regarding anything and everything relating to South Park. South Park bears SOME responsibility, just like all the rest of us. And frankly, I won't be able to enjoy South Park anymore without visions of little red-headed kids getting the sh*t kicked out of them dancing in my head.

Words and media have an incredible amount of power. And South Park holds that power as much as any great book or film. The truly sad thing is, Matt and Trey will just write this incident off along with the dozens of other complaints they've heard over the years and go on with their lives. I hope one day they'll get the point.

So long South Park, it's been a blast.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm still not mentioning it on my site unless there's word that the FaceBook group specifically mentioned South Park as THE inspiration for Kick A Ginger Day. A screen cap would be irrefutable.

Anyway, according to this article, the 14-year-old boy from Vancouver who ran the Facebook group has apologised and insisted that it was only meant as a joke, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police has launched an investigation and warned that those involved could face charges.

"We do treat this sort of thing seriously," a police spokeswoman told the Vancouver Sun newspaper. "This is sort of inciting hate. It's a hate crime, really."
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:11 pm

was rather displeased to find out that this hate-on for "gingers" was actually a genuine sentiment of the Trey Parker

Does someone know the phrase "he said it for teh lulz"?

My opinion is that in satire, everything is ripe for parody
Except things that relate to you from what you say in that post. Thank you mr Hayyes, that will be all now.

I think South Park has always been more about laughing your ass off and maybe thinking for yourself a little bit

South park is more likely to discourage this kind of behaviour than encourage it. Though there are always a few stupid fans who just don't get it, they'd have got inspiration from anywhere.

that the prank was clearly taken way too f*cking far by the handful of kids involved

There will always be idiotic bully kids in any school. The others know they're as retarded as cartman.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 pm

This is typical of people who can't handle this show. He's mentioned that he's watched the show since the beginning, but after this whole ginger incident he's decided to not watch it anymore. So, basically you will lol at them making fun of everyone else, but as soon as your particular group is in the cross hairs you're gonna take your ball and go home...

Hypocrite.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”