Kick a Ginger Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Buttersnut

Re: Kick a Ginger Day

Postby Buttersnut » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:12 am

Just_Jackie wrote:This is typical of people who can't handle this show. He's mentioned that he's watched the show since the beginning, but after this whole ginger incident he's decided to not watch it anymore. So, basically you will lol at them making fun of everyone else, but as soon as your particular group is in the cross hairs you're gonna take your ball and go home...

Hypocrite.

If the alleged hate-on that Trey purportedly expressed for redheads is real, it would be understandable. Based on the messages of the program thus far, you'd expect its creators to be above this sort of thing.

That said, I'm inclined to believe that he misinterpreted, took the statement out of context or failed to see through his dry sense of humour. I would have to see it to believe it.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 am

If you listen to it, you'll know it's just a joke, not particularly subtle either.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Satiricality

Postby Satiricality » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40 am

Are there people committing love crimes somewhere?

Will incidents of jocks picking on nerds be tried at the Hague in the future?

That's a bit of a separate discussion but obviously ties into this nonsense.

It's also pretty rich that the Vancouver PD is lecturing about inciting hate when they tasered an unarmed Polish man to death at an airport last year, along with the reputation that police and RCMP in British Columbia are getting for being taser-happy and not all that trustworthy.

I'm surprised that no one has said it yet but I guess as a Canadian, I might as well: Blame Canada!
Buttersnut

Postby Buttersnut » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:58 am

Actually, it was some kid in Courtenay (on the Island), not Vancouver, that started the site. And the airport is outside of the VPD's jurisdiction.

By the way, one of the cops responsible for the airport tasering also recently ran over and killed a cyclist while driving drunk.
Satiricality

Postby Satiricality » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:03 am

Yeah, I got mixed up. :oops: Apologies to the Vancouver PD. It was the RCMP that was involved in the taser incident at the Vancouver airport, wasn't it?

I think I heard about that drunk driving case on the news a while back. They were talking to a retired cop about how the RCMP and police in BC are suffering from serious PR and image problems lately with such incidents and how the public trust is pretty shaky as a result.

Anyway, I think I've had my fill of stupidity lately. Time to unplug from the talking heads for a bit.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:08 am

No, no, no, everyone got it wrong. The whole purpose of 'Kick a Ginger' day was to kick a girl NAMED 'Ginger.'

Boy does everyone look silly right now.
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:21 am

Pip Tweek wrote:No, no, no, everyone got it wrong. The whole purpose of 'Kick a Ginger' day was to kick a girl NAMED 'Ginger.'

oooooohhhhh
in that case i shall join alright, anybody has a link to the group?
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:36 am

I wouldn't go so far as to call Geekman a hypocrit. Maybe he has been picked on in the past for having red hair and this whole incident brought that back. Some people have some wierd issues with red heads, I don't really get it, I think red heads are hot, but long before this episode came out I have heard people say negative things about people with red hair. But then again they make fun of blondes too. No matter what you are, there are always going to be people with some kind of stupid predujuice against you. South Park can't be held responsible for that. And the whole thing about Trey hating Gingers was probably only a joke. I don't believe a show or a movie should be held responsible for the actions of stupid people who take what was said in it out of context. If you did that, there would be no shows or movies or else they would be heavily censored for fear that idiots would imitate the wrong thing. Do you really want that? I for one don't want our entertainment or freedom of speech taken away out of fear of stupid people imitating what they see. I don't want to see Trey and Matt get into any trouble over what some dumbass on Face Book did, and I certainly hope the day never comes when any of my favorite horror directors get blamed for some incident of real life violence committed by some dumbf*ck. People need to take responsibility for their actions. They need to think about the consequences for their actions before they do something that they know is stupid or wrong. Saying they saw it on tv so they imitated it is no excuse. They should know better, and if they don't know better, why the f*ck aren't their parents monitoring what they do every second? Seriously, how can a sane person not know that if you see Cartman do something you probably shouldn't imitate it?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Are there people committing love crimes somewhere?
Hate crime or not, brutally beating the crap out of someone is still an offence. It doesn't matter why they got the crap kicked out of them, it's still wrong. But the way our 'tollerent' society reacts to 'hate' crimes has to be the most contradictory part of the system. If the show was the primary cause of violence, of course it should be banned; but it's never going to be that powerful. Even if someone watched it 24 hours a day, it's whatever factor led them to obsess over the show that is responsible, not the show. I know it could contribute to violence, but then again so could any idea. We might as well ban schindler's list because it has nazis in it and people might want to coppy the nazis (makes as much sense as people wanting to coppy cartman). Or ban histroy books in case people want to copy the nazis when they read about them there. Or ban the news in case people want to coppy that...

one of the cops responsible for the airport tasering also recently ran over and killed a cyclist while driving drunk

This should've been my post in the Pissed off Thread. How did these guys, and those like them get away with murder? HEY! Ever thought they might have been impersonating Cop-cartman when they killed the polish dude? It makes abut as much sense to say that as to say the ginger-kicking was the result of this episode.

Maybe he has been picked on in the past for having red hair and this whole incident brought that back

Probably has been, doesn't make him any less of a hypocrit in this particular instance. Perhaps not a hypocrit all the time but then again I doubt anyone is.

they saw it on tv so they imitated it is no excuse.

Reminds me of Butt Out! where kyle tries to defer blame on the companies for making him smoke.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:19 am

I don't think we should go so far as to call him a hypocrit. We don't even know him. If he was a regular poster and he was constantly saying one thing and doing another and everyone knew it, that would be one thing. But we have no idea who this person is. Who knows, he might actually be cool. He just might be pissed off right now, at one episode, because he is worried stupid kids might see it and pick on people like him even more. No need to call him names, and calling someone a hypocrit is name calling. And to be honest, you are judging him by some tough standards. Standards I don't really believe everyone can live up to all the time no matter what. We all would like to say that nothing we could possibly see would offend us, and make us loose our sense of humor and the ability to take a joke when the joke is about us. I don't think any of us can do that all the time. I haven't seen anything in the shows or movies I watch that seriously offended me. And most of what I really like to watch is pretty f*cked up. But there is always a chance that some writer might put an idea out there that I might want to bitch about. Especially if it was something that in some way applies to me and people like me, and it doesn't seem like a joke but like whoever created the show or movie was hating on people like me. I would say something then. Come on, if you felt like something you saw wasn't a joke, but it was someone hating on people like you, how would you react?
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:50 pm

I can tell you how I would react. I've seen things that have been offensive to me, but you don't see me sending out whiney emo messages here about it. I see it, accept that MnT are equal opportunity offenders who target everyone, and shrug it off.

He's said he's watched South Park from the beginning, so that means he's seen things like Jesus jumping up and down and saying "Our savior!" in relation to Robert Smith. That is obviously offensive to Christians. Then there was Garrisons song in Mr. Hanky's Christmas Classics where he refers to Shintoists as "pagan scum" and takes the head covering off two Muslim women. Both of these acts very offensive to these groups. He's been yucking it up at everyone elses expense since 1997 and now, 11 years later, he, as someone with red hair, is going to stop watching the show because he's mad over the ginger episode which he feels targets him.

If you wouldn't call that hypocrisy, what would you call it?
MLZS__DA_SP_FAN

Postby MLZS__DA_SP_FAN » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It is SO f'ing awesome! I heard it on the radio here in Denmark while getting a haircut, the hairdressers fault, due to me not being able to hold my laughs, is still viewable :D

Dude, kick a ginger day is more awesome than Christmas and new years eve put together, it has caused a billion laughs for me, hehe : )

Great stuff!
Spielautomaten kostenlos spielen durch meine Homepage!

DieAchse: Hier finden Sie Alles über Roulette online.

Ein Einarmiger Bandit macht immer spaß!
Hier gibt asSpielautomaten Spiele online!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:49 am

Just_Jackie wrote:I can tell you how I would react. I've seen things that have been offensive to me, but you don't see me sending out whiney emo messages here about it. I see it, accept that MnT are equal opportunity offenders who target everyone, and shrug it off.

He's said he's watched South Park from the beginning, so that means he's seen things like Jesus jumping up and down and saying "Our savior!" in relation to Robert Smith. That is obviously offensive to Christians. Then there was Garrisons song in Mr. Hanky's Christmas Classics where he refers to Shintoists as "pagan scum" and takes the head covering off two Muslim women. Both of these acts very offensive to these groups. He's been yucking it up at everyone elses expense since 1997 and now, 11 years later, he, as someone with red hair, is going to stop watching the show because he's mad over the ginger episode which he feels targets him.

If you wouldn't call that hypocrisy, what would you call it?

As I said, we don't know him. He didn't stop watching the show when that episode came out, what, 3 years ago. He is probably pissed now because of the whole Kick a Ginger Day thing ( which Trey and Matt had nothing to do with), and worried that kids will think it is cool to discriminate against people like him. It is one thing not being able to take a joke, it is another when you are worried that there is real hate behind the joke and it is going to create bigotry against you. I think that is understandable.To be honest if I saw something that I felt was created only to incite hate and violences towards gay people for instance, I would have a problem. As for the Merry f*cking Christmas song, you would have to be blind to think that wasn't a joke and that Trey and Matt actually meant it and meant to spread hate. I wasn't offended by the "pagan scum" line, and although I am not Shinto and I don't know much about the religion, it does apply to me because I am pagan. Actually if you think about it the song is more offensive to Christians than the other religions because it can be taken as making fun of how Christians shove their religion down everyone's throat.

This isn't really a black and white issue. When we all started watching South Park did any of us sign a contract saying if we become fans of the show we can't get offended by any jokes that apply to us or else we are hypocrits and bigots? No, we didn't. Everyone is different, some times, people can't help but get offended at certain things. Does that ultimately make them bad people or bigots?. No. To say you can't get offended by anything on South Park because you are a South Park fan takes away every fans right to make up their own minds about what they see on the show. Sorry for the rant, but lately I am seeing a little too much finger pointing, and judging certain people to be hypocrits because they failed to live up to certain standards. I won't lie, I really hate seeing people being all self righteous and judging people as hypocrits when no one is f*cking perfect.

I think when Trey said all the things he did 2 years ago after Hayes quit, I think he was just pissed at the time. I don't think he'd want us pointing fingers and calling everyone on here who had an issue with an episode a hypocrit.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:14 am

I stand by my statement. When you can laugh at everyone else but then leave when your group is targeted, I call that hypocrisy. There was no sympathy for Jews when SP made fun of them and I would imagine that Jews have had a lot more violence against them than one "Kick a <insert minority>" day.

You can't have one standard for yourself and a different one for everyone else and I have to agree with Matt when he said, "and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:45 am

Is this still about geekman? I feel sorry for the guy. It's sad to lose a fan because of something someone not connected to the show did, but if we lose him we lose him.

From the commentary for "Ginger Kids," Trey admits to being phobic towards gingers, but he's got nothing against them. They just freak him out.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”