Kick a Ginger Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Frosty_D

Re: Kick a Ginger Day

Postby Frosty_D » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Only ginger I'm going to kick is ginger ale....that stuff sucks ass....

Anyways, people shouldn't kick people for fun. It's called bulling.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't care what it's called. Didn't you see the hate crime episode? What makes kicking people wrong is that it kinda hurts to be kicked, and hurting people for no reason is a bad thing.

I would like to talk about something else other than who is a hypocrit

Ad Hominims are of course pointless. I'll stick with him being a hypocrit on this one point at least, and you can stick with him not being a hypocrit, and move on to discussing the argument this thread is about. Well I would but I don't see what kind of argument there actually is here, considering we'd all agree that kick-a-ginger day is wrong (though perhaps for different reasons) and the connection between the show and the ginger kicking is manufactured.

I am not sure what the solution is to stop it.

Good to see someoen actually admiting they arn't an expert in every issue that pops up. I can't help myself speculating possible sollutions but I know none of them are likely to be any good.

I like SS, but I am going to be honest about what I think

I have no problem with you being honest about what you think... I was just being honest about what I thought too. I'd kinda like the people who come to this site to be the kind of person who can take a joke; I'm not sure what the kind of person who can't is doing watching a comedy like south park and I don't see what they'd add to this site.

he made it very clear he was a "first and last time poster".

Which is why we should probably stop debating his trolling and giving him more attention than he deserves. I'm kinda entertained by bitchery *gets popcorn* but it's best if it's between reulat posters rather than one timers and the rest of the site. Best to stop talking about geekman.

Does anyone know how that form of predujuice started?
Because they're a minority group? And people pick on differences? Though the anti-celtic thing could play a part... I hear there was a lot of anti-irish stuff in america, and a lot of scottish/irish people are ginger so...
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:46 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:I have heard that expression about beating someone like a redhaired stepchild long before South Park was even created. I don't really get it.

The earliest reference I can find is to the Potato Famine that brought many Irish people, many with red hair, to the United States. Irish men would have sex with women out of wedlock and the women would have kids with red hair, but then the mothers would marry non-Irish men. The red-haired kids became the non-Irish man's stepchildren. They would naturally be beat, since they were not the man's children. It's the Cinderella effect.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:56 pm

I've gotta say I never heard that expression before south park, I'm not sure if it's just an american thing or weather I was just lucky to avoid it.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
MEPT72

Postby MEPT72 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:34 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:I have heard that expression about beating someone like a redhaired stepchild long before South Park was even created. I don't really get it. Most biases I know of come from things that happened historically that turned certain people against eachother or they are due to religion. And there is that stereotype about blondes being stupid..But what I don't get is why anyone would have a problem with redheads. Does anyone know how that form of predujuice started?

Redheaded step child line was based on an old belief that children were born with redhair as a mark of a bastard birth. So if your wife had a red headed child she was cheating on you to cause it.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”