The not necessarily scientific "Did you know?" thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Kelly MacCornmac

Re: The official "Did you know?" thread

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:44 am

Do you know, that no matter how long you lived or how hard you try, you will never count to indefinite?
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:50 am

did you know we all leave our physical bodies when we go to sleep at night. You may have thought you were dreaming when actually you out of body traveling around the astral planes. For instance if you were dreaming in full blown color and maybe flying or falling. In these scenarios you would be actually be astral projecting.

I learned all of this stuff from puzuzu

[Thread title changed because of this post.]
"Time is a thing we must accept.
The unexpected I sometimes fear.
Just when I feel there's no excuse
for what happens, things fall into place.
I know there is no way to avoid
the pain that we must go through,
to find the other half that is true"
zzyzx

Postby zzyzx » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:41 am

Did you know that you can pick your nose, or you can pick your friends, but you can't wipe your friends under the sofa cushion?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Schliby wrote:did you know we all leave our physical bodies when we go to sleep at night. You may have thought you were dreaming when actually you out of body traveling around the astral planes. For instance if you were dreaming in full blown color and maybe flying or falling. In these scenarios you would be actually be astral projecting.

Astral Planes? What a bunch of new-age horseshit.

Dreams are all in one's head. No one has their consciousness physically separated from their body when they dream. You've been hosed.

You read it! You can't unread it!
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:48 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
Schliby wrote:did you know we all leave our physical bodies when we go to sleep at night. You may have thought you were dreaming when actually you out of body traveling around the astral planes. For instance if you were dreaming in full blown color and maybe flying or falling. In these scenarios you would be actually be astral projecting.

Dreams are all in one's head. No one has their consciousness physically separated from their body when they dream. You've been hosed.

True, and the same can be said of alien abductions.

Your actually in a state of temporary-paralysis with a semi-conscious mind that still has the ability to dream. You are just laying there in bed and can't move and you hallucinate.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/200 ... alien.html

Abduction stories are strikingly similar. Victims wake up and find themselves paralyzed, unable to move or cry out for help. They see flashing lights and hear buzzing sounds. Electric sensations zing through their bodies, which may rise up in levitation. Aliens with wrap-around eyes, gray or green skin, lacking hair or noses, approach. The abductee's heart pounds violently. There's lots of probing in the alien ship. Instruments are inserted in their noses, navels, or other orifices. It's painful. Sometimes sexual intercourse occurs.

Then it's over, after seconds or minutes. The intruders vanish. Victims are back in their own beds and can move again.

Clancy, Richard McNally, a professor of psychology at Harvard, and other researchers tie such horrifying happenings to sleep paralysis, a condition where the usual separation between sleep and wakefulness gets out of synchronization.

When you dream, you are paralyzed. It's a natural adaptation to prevent people from lashing out, jumping out of bed, walking into doors or windows, and otherwise injuring themselves. But it's possible to wake up while still paralyzed.

"We can find ourselves hallucinating sights, sounds, and bodily sensations," Clancy says. "They seem real but they're actually the product of our imagination." One researcher describes it as "dreaming with your eyes wide open."

Bizarre effects aside, sleep paralysis is as normal as hiccups. It's not a sign of mental illness. About 25 percent of people around the world have experienced it, and about 5 percent get the whole show of sight, sound, tactile hallucinations, and abduction.

Some of these people become completely absorbed by what happened and seek an explanation of it. That can lead them into a grab bag of different techniques well known to those with a rich fantasy life and a distaste for scientific explanations.

Such techniques include hypnosis, guided imagery, regression, and relaxation therapies. "These all work in roughly the same way," Clancy comments. "The therapist lulls the abductee into a suggestive state, in which normal reality constraints are relaxed, and then asks the person to vividly image things that might have happened." Or might not have happened.

Hypnosis, she says, "is a bad way to refresh your memories. Not only that, it renders you susceptible to creating memories of things that never happened, things that were suggested to you or that you just imagined. If you (or your therapist) have pre-existing beliefs or expectations, you're liable to recall experiences that fit with these beliefs, rather than events that actually happened."
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:45 pm

That a strand of DNA is useless unless it is 'actvated' by a chemical binding to a region on it called the promoter that tells the cell to create the protien it codes for. Special artificial genes called antisense genes can be inserted into cells to prevent genes becoming converted into protiens; these were first used to increse the shelf life of GM tomatoes.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Did you know that the cows make the beefs?
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:22 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:

Hey, F*ck you both!!! Many people have experienced out-of-body experiences on the astral plains, it is not new age bullsh*t because it has been going on for at least one thousand years!!! If you are going to label something as bullsh*t without learning about it, you have serious problems. GO F*CK YOURSELVES!!! An out-of-body experience is a life changing REAL event that has been going on for a long time, it is NOT new age sh*t. Don't go around making fun of things you know nothing about!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm

DId you know that the mummy cow and the daddy bull make the cow that makes the beefs?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:18 pm

Schliby wrote:Hey, F*ck you both!!! Many people have experienced out-of-body experiences on the astral plains, it is not new age bullsh*t because it has been going on for at least one thousand years!!! If you are going to label something as bullsh*t without learning about it, you have serious problems. GO F*CK YOURSELVES!!! An out-of-body experience is a life changing REAL event that has been going on for a long time, it is NOT new age sh*t. Don't go around making fun of things you know nothing about!!!

An out of body experience doesn't mean a person is floating around on "astral plains". It's simply a hallucination of a brain that has experienced a severe trauma, generally. It's much more reasonable to suggest such experiences are all in the brain rather than requiring the existence of some sort of "other dimension of being" or whatever the hell an "astral plain" is supposed to be.

Schliby

Postby Schliby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:21 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
Schliby wrote:Hey, F*ck you both!!! Many people have experienced out-of-body experiences on the astral plains, it is not new age bullsh*t because it has been going on for at least one thousand years!!! If you are going to label something as bullsh*t without learning about it, you have serious problems. GO F*CK YOURSELVES!!! An out-of-body experience is a life changing REAL event that has been going on for a long time, it is NOT new age sh*t. Don't go around making fun of things you know nothing about!!!

An out of body experience doesn't mean a person is floating around on "astral plains". It's simply a hallucination of a brain that has experienced a severe trauma, generally. It's much more reasonable to suggest such experiences are all in the brain rather than requiring the existence of some sort of "other dimension of being" or whatever the hell an "astral plain" is supposed to be.

if it is caused by trauma, then how do you explain the ability to have an out-of -body experience any time you want just by practicing a certain technique?
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 pm

^You mean trancing or self hypotysing? I do that all the time....

Did you know you are not allowed to be a witness to a crime in Arkansas if you are Atheist?

Did you know Tennessee prohibits Atheists from taking office?

Did you know there are at least 5 other states the prohibits athiests from taking office?

Did you know there are many other states that prohibit sales of cars and alchol and other things on Sunday?
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Schliby wrote:if it is caused by trauma, then how do you explain the ability to have an out-of -body experience any time you want just by practicing a certain technique?

It seems reasonable that one could learn to alter their mental state in order to reproduce an experience similar to that of a traumatized brain.

It's also likely that, through the use of one's imagination, a person could convince themselves they are not in their body.

And then there's psychoactive drugs one could invibe.

Quintuplets_Father

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Frosty_D wrote:Did you know you are not allowed to be a witness to a crime in Arkansas if you are Atheist?

Did you know Tennessee prohibits Atheists from taking office?

Did you know there are at least 5 other states the prohibits athiests from taking office?

Did you know there are many other states that prohibit sales of cars and alchol and other things on Sunday?

you must be kidding , right?
and btw: i broke the dam...
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:36 pm

Saddly, no I am not Religious Discrimination

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”