The not necessarily scientific "Did you know?" thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Schliby

Re: The official "Did you know?" thread

Postby Schliby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:39 pm

if you were simply tricking your brain, how do you explain the fact that during out of body experiences, that you can pass through matter as if it is a dense liquid and FEEL the matter touching the part of your body that went through the object?
"Time is a thing we must accept.
The unexpected I sometimes fear.
Just when I feel there's no excuse
for what happens, things fall into place.
I know there is no way to avoid
the pain that we must go through,
to find the other half that is true"
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:39 pm

Schliby wrote:if you were simply tricking your brain, how do you explain the fact that during out of body experiences, that you can pass through matter as if it is a dense liquid and FEEL the matter touching the part of your body that went through the object?

It's the brain that processes a person's senses and the brain can create sensory hallucinations such as what you describe.
For example, anyone who's had a falling dream has probably experienced one of these. The dreamer would swear they were actually falling at some point.

Another example would be a person feeling itchy while watching a documentary about lice. One sensory stimuli produces a sensory hallucination of itchiness. Nothing's wrong with the skin, but the brain convinces the body it's really itchy.

It's the same reason amputees "feel" their missing body part.

So the brain doesn't necessarily require a physical sensation to generate a sensory reaction.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 am

let's stop arguing. You will never accept what i am telling you. people don't want to accept things like this so they reject it and call it sh*t. I have a different view on things because i study magick and the occult. Lets end it ok? I'm sorry. :(
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
Another example would be a person feeling itchy while watching a documentary about lice. One sensory stimuli produces a sensory hallucination of itchiness. Nothing's wrong with the skin, but the brain convinces the body it's really itchy.

^^ just reading that made me itch.

Not to offend anyone who believes in out-of-body experiences, but my evaluation of whether to believe something or not always goes back to one question - can it be objectively proven?

An out-of-body experience can only ever be confirmed by the person who has the experience. At no point could anyone else verify another person's out-of-body experience. That's why I don't believe in it. But I have no interest in belittling anyone who does.
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:47 am

yeah, and out-of-body experience is something you yourself, or someone you trust has had to have to make you a believer of it.
pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 pm

X-Ray inventor, Wilhelm Rontgen took home the Nobel prize in 1901
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:28 pm

The Nobel Prize is named after Alfred P. Nobel, inventor of TNT. He started the prize after a newspaper accidentally ran his obituary instead of his brother, calling him "Dr. Death" since TNT was used for munitions. Nobel didn't want that legacy, so he used his personal fortune to start the Nobel Prize.

Seems to have worked.

You read it! You can't unread it!
pdfsmail

Postby pdfsmail » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Cat Urine & Vomit Glows under a black light. (no joke look it up)

So now we have sound an easy way to determine if someone has been cheesing.
me=a hybrid of Tweek,Butters,Cartman,&Kyle!

GIVING INTO AN EXTREMIST SHOWS WEAKNESS, AND OPENS A DOOR TO FAILURE THIS WILL NOT APPEASE THEIR THREATS.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm not surpised, blood also glows under a black light.

Do you know, there are shrimp that excrete blue glowy stuffs?
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
Ranius

Postby Ranius » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Did you know that you are basically the same as the thing you hate the most?

...okay, scratch that, thing should be person. =P but it's an interesting idea even with a thing. =P

i wouldn't know about planar travel, as much as i like the idea of telepathy and outer sensing i know a guy who was clinically dead for 2 minutes and he didn't see a white light. or anything for that matter.

oh, that reminds me:

- 0 and infinity are one and the same...
- you don't eat a couple of bugs in your sleep.

Did you know you are not allowed to be a witness to a crime in Arkansas if you are Atheist?
it figures. it just strikes me as stupid that people think the witness will tell the truth if they "swear" on their diety.
____
Idiocracy, Fog of war, Enemy Image, Zeitgeist, Addendum, Zeitgeist Refuted, B. and B. two faces of the same coin... So what is the truth?
trilbymonkey

Postby trilbymonkey » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:59 am

Did you know....

that if you put glass in a microwave, it just heats up and does nothing, but if you heat it with a blowtorch and THEN microwave it, the glass will melt?
Peyote_Ugly

Postby Peyote_Ugly » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 am

Out of body experiences are real, but they are caused by dimethyltryptamine imo. There are curious aspects of some OBE's especially near death that cannot be so easily explained, people who have no brain activity registering are able to recount verbatim words that were said, actions that others performed while they were legally dead! :O
Did you know that the movie "The poseidon Adventure" was being screened as the titanic sunk. The audience demanded an encore and was oblivious to the fact that their own boat was sinking until well into the second screening.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:30 am

Schliby wrote:did you know we all leave our physical bodies when we go to sleep at night. You may have thought you were dreaming when actually you out of body traveling around the astral planes. For instance if you were dreaming in full blown color and maybe flying or falling. In these scenarios you would be actually be astral projecting.

I learned all of this stuff from puzuzu

Or if you have a dream that really feels real and has alot of detail and such.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 am

Schliby wrote:let's stop arguing. You will never accept what i am telling you. people don't want to accept things like this so they reject it and call it sh*t. I have a different view on things because i study magick and the occult. Lets end it ok? I'm sorry. :(

Yeah I know how that is..It can f*cking suck sometimes, getting sh*t from from people who think practicing magick is evil, and getting sh*t from people who are hardcore about preaching against any belief that can't be proven with Science at the same f*cking time. Either you get called evil and get accused of sacrificing children or you get laughed at and called stupid and superstitious. It can be f*cking frustrating, because it seems those people don't get nearly the amount of sh*t for talking about their beliefs as we do. But, if you really believe in something, screw what the people who don't accept it think. You have as much right to your beliefs and to say what they are in public as anyone else. And you aren't alone at this board. I also believe in astral projection, and in alot of other stuff the majority of this board would probably call fruity, and you can talk to me in pms about stuff if you want. Or f*ck it, talk about it right out here on the board, like everyone else does about their beliefs.If someone has a major problem with what we say we can just not dignify what they say with a response.

But you don't have to apologize for saying what you did. You did nothing wrong.
Last edited by M00ndragon69 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PicklesNumber1

Postby PicklesNumber1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 am

It is illegal to tie up a giraffe in Either Arkansas or Alabama.

It is illegal to carry a concealed weapon over 6 feet in length in Seattle.
Thats right. I drive a YT-1300.

Im a Jesus Freak.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”