The not necessarily scientific "Did you know?" thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

M00ndragon69

Re: The official "Did you know?" thread

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:10 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
Schliby wrote:did you know we all leave our physical bodies when we go to sleep at night. You may have thought you were dreaming when actually you out of body traveling around the astral planes. For instance if you were dreaming in full blown color and maybe flying or falling. In these scenarios you would be actually be astral projecting.

I learned all of this stuff from puzuzu

Astral Planes? What a bunch of new-age horseshit.

Dreams are all in one's head. No one has their consciousness physically separated from their body when they dream. You've been hosed.

And I suppose because of something some science guy said you know everything about the dreams of everyone on this planet. You know he isn't getting on you for being an atheist,and he is a nice guy and he has as much right to his beliefs as you do. And you also know this is the exact same topic that started sh*t between me and KTS back in the day and when I want to be I am a bitch. If people believe in the astral plane where is the f*cking harm. You know not everyone who has those beliefs goes and spends thousands of dollars on psychics and such, that is just something certain people say to spread fear. Most people who actually practice magick, don't go to psychics, they might read up on stuff on the internet ( and most of the people I know are objective, they look at what is said on what they are researching and actually think about it instead of just following whatever the person who wrote it said..Wow..Someone who believes in something that can't be proven with Science, actually thinking*.*extreme sarcasm) or go out and buy a book if they find a book they really find interesting. But we don't go to psychics, we would rather learn to do all that stuff ourselves.

And triple Mutliplex, do you actually know any pagans, Wiccans or people who practice other magick traditions? I mean besides me.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:16 am

Schliby wrote:The people at the E! Network were once big enough assf*cks to want to do a show recreating Dimebag Darrell's murder "for the entertainment value". WTF!!! :evil: Do they know how many people are still mentally scarred and or get sad and angry when they are reminded of what happened!!! What were they thinking!!! :evil: To this day, the only thing that makes me genuinely sad is remembering what happened December 8th 2004... :( I am glad they stopped and that they realized how f*ckin stupid their idea was, "For the entertainment value" What the f**ck does that mean!!! :evil: There is nothing entertaining about one of the greatest men who ever lived dying!!!

I am glad they changed their mind because that idea is f*cked and disrespectful. So many people I know would be rightly pissed. Hearing about this really makes me wanna boycott E!..Like I don't kind of already.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:34 pm

I only interjected because I thought a thread with this title should contain facts instead of opinions. I probably would've done the same thing if someone wrote, "Did you know Jesus Christ died for your sins?" But the amended thread title has now made that unnecessary, as well as my back-and-forth with Schliby. (Smart move, Will.)

I'd like to think I try to avoid directly mocking an individual for their beliefs on here, but I'm sure this board's archives could provide many examples to the contrary; including the start of the debate in this thread. I try to discuss stuff like religion in the abstract and avoid personal attacks most of the time. At least I like to tell myself that.

M00ndragon69 wrote:And triple Mutliplex, do you actually know any pagans, Wiccans or people who practice other magick traditions? I mean besides me.

You're the only one, M00nbabe! :wink:

You read it! You can't unread it!
M00ndragon69

Re: The not necessarily scientific "Did you know?" thread

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:54 am

What kind of made it seem to me like it was a personal attack was your choice of words. Come on neither him or I have refered to what things you said you believed in as Atheist horse sh*t. And unlike me, he seems like a nice enough guy that he wouldn't do that even if he was really pissed.

And considering who started this thread to begin with, it is easy to assume that the things discussed here weren't just limited to scientific things. Have you seem some of his other topics? I don't think he is all about scienfic debating and such.

As for the thing you said about what if someone said "Did you know Christ died for your sins", well you know that is different than him talking about astral projection? He wasn't laying a guilt trip about anyone dying for anyone's sins. What he said didn't contain any threats about if you don't believe you will go to Hell and burn forever ( I can't really speak for him, but I don't believe people who don't believe the way I do are going to be punished in the after life just for what they believe), And if someone said that, they would be treating the whole board like they are f*cking stupid. How the f*ck can someone live in America, be old enough to post on this board and watch South Park, and not know that Christians believe that Jesus died for people's sins?. Even if you are a f*cking heathen like some of us, you know what the beliefs are because references to them are everywhere in this society.Even on South Park, so saying "Did you know Jesus died for your sins?" would have to be said by someone who thinks the whole board is retarded. On the other hand, many people have no idea what the hell astral projection is.
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:18 am

M00ndragon, you are officially awesome, you are one of the coolest people here, at least in my books... :)
"Time is a thing we must accept.
The unexpected I sometimes fear.
Just when I feel there's no excuse
for what happens, things fall into place.
I know there is no way to avoid
the pain that we must go through,
to find the other half that is true"
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:26 am

Schliby wrote:M00ndragon, you are officially awesome, you are one of the coolest people here, at least in my books... :)

Thanks *hugs*
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:28 am

what is an astreal projection anyways? :/
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:42 am

what is an astreal projection anyways?

It's a spell in my dungeons and dragons gameplay manuel. And that's a fact :p

f*cking

This site still censors swears even though you have to be an adultsouth park fan to join. It's not my oppinion that this is retarded, it's a fact.

I thought a thread with this title should contain facts instead of opinions

All too true... though pointing it out caused more oppinion-filled posts than just leaving things.

Talking about astral projections, one of the most popular nurologial theories of what goes on in the brain during a mystical expierience is thatdifferent areas of the brain disconect from inputs, though another idea is that left and right brain dominance temporarilly occilates. The reason people have these expieriences may be either some evolutionary reason, some sociological reason, or it may be the kind of spiritual reason it seems to be.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:52 am

triplemultiplex wrote:But the amended thread title has now made that unnecessary, as well as my back-and-forth with Schliby. (Smart move, Will.)

I should have changed it a while ago, but I hadn't been following this thread until yesterday when I changed the thread title. Who reads about astral planes or astral projections in schoolbooks or the daily paper, or the Guinness Book of World Records?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
zzyzx

Postby zzyzx » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Did you know that at night, you can tell the temperature by counting how many chirps crickets make in one minute, divide by 17, and you now know the temperature in Farenheight?
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:16 am

Big-Will wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:But the amended thread title has now made that unnecessary, as well as my back-and-forth with Schliby. (Smart move, Will.)

I should have changed it a while ago, but I hadn't been following this thread until yesterday when I changed the thread title. Who reads about astral planes or astral projections in schoolbooks or the daily paper, or the Guinness Book of World Records?

Actually things like astral projection are things that cultures that still include Shamanism believe in, and Shamanism is sometimes studies in Anthropology and colleges have programs on Anthropology and students learn out of text books..I should know, 8 years ago, I took anthropology, in community college, and I got an A. And my professor was very impressed with the research paper ( which I was working on for 2 months) and oral report I did one Shamanism.

And there are New Age newspapers you can get for free,I find them at this natural foods store in my area, and I think sometimes they have things in there about astral projection.

So I guess a lot of people learn about that kind of sh*t in text books or newspapers.

Did you know that Big Will doesn't know everything.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:Actually things like astral projection are things that cultures that still include Shamanism believe in, and Shamanism is sometimes studies in Anthropology and colleges have programs on Anthropology and students learn out of text books..I should know, 8 years ago, I took anthropology, in community college, and I got an A. And my professor was very impressed with the research paper ( which I was working on for 2 months) and oral report I did one Shamanism.

Which is fine, as even I find such things fascinating, but that doesn't necessarily translate to something everyone might know simply by reading the New York Times. Your professor would probably say "only a few of us believe that stuff here in the West, but it's interesting nonetheless."

M00ndragon69 wrote:And there are New Age newspapers you can get for free,I find them at this natural foods store in my area, and I think sometimes they have things in there about astral projection.

How many of these are dailies?

M00ndragon69 wrote:Did you know that Big Will doesn't know everything.

Oh hell, even I knew that! :lol:

Maybe I'll change the thread title once more. But here's what I expected from this thread:

"Did you know that [insert name of tribe or group] practices shamanism or believes in astral projection?" and then an explanation of that practice or belief - yes

"if you were dreaming in full blown color and maybe flying or falling. In these scenarios you would be actually be astral projecting" - no. There is no scientific evidence regarding the validity of astral projection, and there is no shortage of people who read that quote and say "what is that person talking about? All I know is I sleep for a time and then get up for the next day, and sure I have dreams and even remember a few, but why would I be doing anything like astral projecting?", but since this thread moved away from the purely scientific, I changed the thread title, and thus the nature of this thread, rather than split the thread in two. I do like the paranormal, after all.

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:what is an astreal projection anyways? :/

Wiki has one answer.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 am

Umm, SouthParks#1fan started this thread, and I don't think he intended to limit what is talked about on here to things discussed in the New York Times. What was his example of did you know trivia? The thing about if you put a grape in the microwave, it blows up....I don't read the New York Times ( seriously, how many people here actually do everyday?), but I bet they don't have full articles about what happens when you put things in the microwave that aren't meant to be cooked in there. I think most people assume you can talk about whatever random facts ( or in this case, the things you believe to be facts based on your beliefs) that you want. on this thread. Or are you so hung up on only having "serious" or scientific debate on this board, that it is a big deal if someone shares something on this thread that you don't like? f*ck I say talk about whatever you want here.

Like, did you know that Hot Topic has a shirt with Butters dressed up as a Vampire kid? I just saw it yesterday and my brother and I thought that was so funny. On that episode there was the whole bit about Hot Topic being for posers, not real goths, and the Goth kids burned it down..And Hot Topic sells t shirts from that episode..LOL..Looks like they have a sense of humor. I want one of those shirts.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:05 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:Umm, SouthParks#1fan started this thread, and I don't think he intended to limit what is talked about on here to things discussed in the New York Times. What was his example of did you know trivia? The thing about if you put a grape in the microwave, it blows up....I don't read the New York Times ( seriously, how many people here actually do everyday?), but I bet they don't have full articles about what happens when you put things in the microwave that aren't meant to be cooked in there. I think most people assume you can talk about whatever random facts ( or in this case, the things you believe to be facts based on your beliefs) that you want. on this thread. Or are you so hung up on only having "serious" or scientific debate on this board, that it is a big deal if someone shares something on this thread that you don't like? f*ck I say talk about whatever you want here. Come on,this board was alot more fun 4 years ago, before people got so hung up on super intellectual debating crap. Maybe if we had more fun we would get more regular members.

Like, did you know that Hot Topic has a shirt with Butters dressed up as a Vampire kid? I just saw it yesterday and my brother and I thought that was so funny. On that episode there was the whole bit about Hot Topic being for posers, not real goths, and the Goth kids burned it down..And Hot Topic sells t shirts from that episode..LOL..Looks like they have a sense of humor. I want one of those shirts.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:44 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:Like, did you know that Hot Topic has a shirt with Butters dressed up as a Vampire kid? I just saw it yesterday and my brother and I thought that was so funny. On that episode there was the whole bit about Hot Topic being for posers, not real goths, and the Goth kids burned it down..And Hot Topic sells t shirts from that episode..LOL..Looks like they have a sense of humor. I want one of those shirts.

Holy Sh*t!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”