Movies to Cartoons

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

vexille

Movies to Cartoons

Postby vexille » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I remember that certain films that were made in the 1980's and 90' were later translated to the medium of children's television. Movies like: Ghost Busters, The Mask, Beetle Juice, Batman, etc.

So I was thinking maybe movies such as Fight Club, where the Kid's Cartoon version has the hero of the series, along with his duplicate personality Tyler Durden as his sidekick (or maybe he's the sidekick?) and his army of Fight Club fanatics could save the world every week?!

Does anyone have other ideas?
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
triplemultiplex

Re: Movies to Cartoons

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Fight Club: the Animated Series?

:lol:

Is there a precedent for an R-rated movie becoming an animated series?
If that idea would work, then I'd propose The Matrix, as well.

The Lord of the Rings would've made a viable animated series. All that great scenery and battles and sh*t would be much cheaper to do in animation.

Harry Potter certainly has the built-in market for a TV show. I wouldn't watch it, but if I was in a position to do so, I'd make money off it.

You read it! You can't unread it!
vexille

Postby vexille » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Other titles:

Ocean's Eleven: May inspire a new generation of thieves, confidence tricksters and extortionists.

Natural Born Killers: What moral lessons would young children learn from Mickey and Mallory Knox?

Austin Powers: Nymphomanic spies make great role-models.

Home Alone: Neglectful Parents.

Reservoir Dogs: Same with NBK.
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
IneedBoutTREEFIDDY

Postby IneedBoutTREEFIDDY » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:55 am

Spaceballs has recently been done. Oh wait we are talking about good ideas.

As for my ideas:

Jurassic Park seems like it could have potential, especially of they could get Sam Jackson in it.(no, I don't care that he died in the movie)

Dragon Wars Who cares if it is a sh*tty movie, I'd watch dragons fighting dragons on a weekly basis.
Setting the standard since 1852
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:37 am

vexille wrote:I remember that certain films that were made in the 1980's and 90' were later translated to the medium of children's television. Movies like: Ghost Busters, The Mask, Beetle Juice, Batman, etc.

So I was thinking maybe movies such as Fight Club, where the Kid's Cartoon version has the hero of the series, along with his duplicate personality Tyler Durden as his sidekick (or maybe he's the sidekick?) and his army of Fight Club fanatics could save the world every week?!

Does anyone have other ideas?

Well does the cartoon necessarily have to be for kids? There was that Clerks cartoon that is on cartoon network on adult swim. A cartoon with the characters from Fight Club but drawn in a darker style and made for adults might work.

Other ideas would be animated shows with characters from Kill Bill. Like have the back story the characters and such would be cool. And there was this Hellraiser comic book in the 90's, maybe a show based on those comics and the Hellraiser movies would work. Yeah, I would definately like to see some animated shows with characters from my favorite horror movies. Especially the characters from House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects, and they could get Rob Zombie to write the episodes and have the actors from the movies voice the characters that would rock. Or maybe a cartoon based on the Nightmare on Elmstreet movies. There was a show in the 80's called Freddy's Nightmares, so maybe the cartoon could be like that show..But with really dark disturbing animation of Freddy f*cking with people's dreams, and of course you would have to get Robert Englund to do the voice. And maybe an Orgasmo cartoon would be cool to.

Yeah I know, all my ideas are for cartoons for adults which was the exact opposite of cartoons based on movies from the 80's and 90's. And also since all these ideas are for cartoons based on movies I really love, the people making them would have to work their asses off on the writing and animation to make something cool or I would be pissed.. To be honest, many of the cartoons based movies during the 80's weren't really that great. Except for the 80's Ghostbusters cartoons, and the 90's Batman cartoons. Unfortunately, I have to say that the Beetle Juice cartoon isn't that good. And I really loved Beetle Juice since it came out when I was 10. I just got the special edition of it on dvd and it has 3 cartoons. I tried watching the cartoons but they were too irriatiting. That was disappointing.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Twister: The Animated Series.

I'm just throwin' that out there as a possibility.

M00ndragon69 wrote:Unfortunately, I have to say that the Beetle Juice cartoon isn't that good.

What?!? That was great! I thought the car with the Jekyll & Hyde personality was a bit too much, but other than that I loved it!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 pm

IneedBoutTREEFIDDY wrote:Jurassic Park seems like it could have potential, especially of they could get Sam Jackson in it.(no, I don't care that he died in the movie)

I've got it.
In the movie, we only see Sam Jackson's severed arm. Therefore I propose that he lost his arm, but managed to get away, control the bleeding and escape the island on his own. Now we can have him in your series as a one-armed man; probably with some wicked scars from the raptors and a serious chip on his shoulder (the other one I assume :) ) about it.

You read it! You can't unread it!
IneedBoutTREEFIDDY

Postby IneedBoutTREEFIDDY » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 pm

I like it. Of course instead of escaping the island, they could find him in a cave where he has been living for the past 3 years. I smell a hit.
Setting the standard since 1852
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:13 am

I can't believe I never saw this old thread up until now.

Now, let's see...What movie should be a cartoon, ah? Hmmmm...

Well, they have a comic series for Army of Darkness. Why not a 'toon as well? They could do so much more cool, gory stuff in animation than in the live-action films (though the Evil Dead series might have exaggerated with the blood geysers, anyway).
Thunderhorse

Postby Thunderhorse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:46 am

Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:15 am

Though it wasn't originally a movie, Alvin & The Chipmunks started out as a musical group in 1958 and became a short-lived cartoon in 1961 before they were revived for a much longer-running cartoon series from 1983-1990. This is how most people remember them - not for their music. I remember watching some of that 80s cartoon when I was a kid. Then they had a full-length animated movie in 1987. Good times. But that was back when they looked like child-size anthropomorphic creatures of an unknown species. The CGI chipmunks that came out in 2007 have nothing at all in common with the original cartoon chipmunks from the early 60s and the 80s.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 am

Pulp Fiction: The Animated Series

Scarface: The Animated Series

They made cartoons based on video games in the 80s. I'd like to see DOOM: The animated series.

Screw it, GTA: The animated series. :P
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:24 am

I think I heard something about a Max Payne movie? Those two games were fucking badass.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:44 am

Random, yet related: Anyone else remember how Bill & Ted was also made into a Saturday morning toon, and a live action show? I don't know why, but that popped into my head today for no reason. Come to think of it that same thing happened with The Tick, although it started as a comic.

Oh, duuuude... How awesome would Hitchhiker's Guide be made into a toon?!
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:07 am

I think I'd be willing to watch a Napolean Dynamite cartoon.
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”