Religion. Keep on topic, argue through PMs.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

gtaca2005

Religion. Keep on topic, argue through PMs.

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:48 pm

This thread will be about any and all things religion.

Atheism is misunderstood, so here is a good definition I found on the net:

Taken from: http://atheism.about.com/od/definitiono ... nition.htm

The broader, and more common, understanding of atheism among atheists is quite simply "not believing in any gods." No claims or denials are made — an atheist is just a person who does not happen to be a theist. Sometimes this broader understanding is called "weak" or "implicit" atheism. Most good, complete dictionaries readily support this.

There also exists a narrower sort of atheism, sometimes called "strong" or "explicit" atheism. With this type, the atheist explicitly denies the existence of any gods — making a strong claim which will deserve support at some point. Some atheists do this and others may do this with regards to certain specific gods but not with others. Thus, a person may lack belief in one god, but deny the existence of another god.

P.S.-
Although I hate the term, I'm a "weak Atheist".
Last edited by gtaca2005 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Schliby

Re: Atheism, God, and You.

Postby Schliby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 pm

atheism may be misunderstood, but you one of the most misunderstood things are the occult, and the wiccan religion.
I am primarily catholic, but i am involved started to get involved in the occult, i am practicing magick, and i will do some wiccan magick, i might even practice some black magick, but that doesn't mean i worship satan. Just because a person practices magick doesn't make them a freak, or weird.
There is a thing called High Magick, and it is involved in the Christian/Catholic/Jewish faith. It is not fair that people label people in occults as crazy satan worshiping psychopaths, were not, we are mostly christians, catholics and wiccans, and will never make fun of a religion, because we believe all religions are intertwined...
I am catholic, but believe in wiccan, and pagan points of views and beliefs, and i practice magick. I am just like everyone else, even though i agree with multiple religions and practice magick.
Last edited by Schliby on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is a thing we must accept.
The unexpected I sometimes fear.
Just when I feel there's no excuse
for what happens, things fall into place.
I know there is no way to avoid
the pain that we must go through,
to find the other half that is true"
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:40 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:This thread will be about any and all things religion.

Well, all things religion:

Like Kyle Broflovski, I am Jewish. Starting with our ancestor Abraham, monotheism developed. The belief in one and only one G'd. Abraham's father, Terah, believed in many gods and worshiped idols.

I believe in that same one and only one G'd, the G'd of Abraham.

As a Jew, when my father died young, my brother and I stood at the open grave and proclaimed (in Hebrew) that G'd is to be sanctified, and we accepted the will of the one G'd and DID NOT CURSE G'D FOR TAKING AWAY OUR FATHER.

When a Jew dies, the last thing on his/her lips is: (In Hebrew) "Hear, O Israel (meaning the descendants of Jacob whose name was changed to Israel by G'd), the Lord Our G'd, the Lord is ONE."

I believe in one and only one G'd.

Whatever anyone else believes in or does not believe in is their business.

Schliby wrote:i am involved started to get involved in the occult, i am practicing magick, and i will do some wiccan magick, i might even practice some black magick, but that doesn't mean i worship satan. Just because a person practices magick doesn't make them a freak, or weird. There is a thing called High Magick, and it is involved in the Christian/Catholic/Jewish faith. It is not fair that people label people in occults as crazy satan worshiping psychopaths, were not, we are mostly christians, catholics and wiccans, and will never make fun of a religion, because we believe all religions are intertwined... I am catholic, but believe in wiccan, and pagan points of views and beliefs, and i practice magick. We are just like everyone else.

As a Jew, I believe that the Torah specifically says to avoid magic, the occult, ghosts, spirits, etc. You say "There is a thing called High Magick, and it is involved in the Christian/Catholic/Jewish faith. Sorry, Schliby, NOT the Jewish faith.

To quote myself: "Whatever anyone else believes in or does not believe in is their business."
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:57 pm

I find it fascinating how insecure some religious people are about their religion. You know, the people who make a big stink about saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". Or people who go to great extents to try and discredit the reality of evolution (and always fail).

You'd think it was pre-Constantine Rome the way some of these people claim persecution. And that's just Christianity. Don't even get me started on the medieval, ass-backwards sh*t that comes out of Islam.

Unfortunately for the world's religions, the reality of the universe is against them. Their Stone Age books of fairy tails will, and must, fall out of favor if the human species can continue to advance. Future humans will study Judeo-Islamo-Christian monotheism much like we study Greek or Egyptian mythology today.

You read it! You can't unread it!
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:01 pm

I always wanted to know why Jewish people can't say or wright "God"... :?
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:05 pm

^yea, what's up with that? Even as an Atheist, I write god down...

"We are both athiests, you and I...the only difference is that I belive in one less God (or Gods) than you. Once you figure out why you do not belive in the other Gods, then you will know why I do not belive in yours"

I'm more of a strong Atheist, but that is only when Christians or anybody else tries to force their religion on me.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:06 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:I always wanted to know why Jewish people can't say or wright "God"... :?

It's from their respect of his name in Hebrew - YHWH. It's never pronounced, so no one knows how to say it, though "Yahweh" comes closest. It probably stems from the commandment "Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain."
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 pm

gtaca2005 wrote:I always wanted to know why Jewish people can't say or wright "God"... :?

Because we are not permitted to say or speak the name of G'd. Even in Hebrew, it is spelled in a way that is not pronounceable. And some spellings (in Hebrew) are not pronounced the way it appears because we cannot speak G'd's name. In English, we write "G'd" but we pronounce it as: "Adonoi." In the Country of Israel, some say: "Ha-Shem," which literally translates to: "The Name."

Edit:

Frosty_D wrote:^yea, what's up with that? Even as an Atheist, I write god down...

I wrote out "gods" above when I wrote about the many gods that Terah, Abraham's father believed in. I don't believe in any of those gods of Terah, so I spelled out the word g-o-d (lower-case "g"). My point: I can write out "god," but not the "G'd" that I believe in.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:23 pm

^^

Wow, that's just as asinine as Muslims getting offended by pictures of Muhammad.

BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:26 pm

BigCamera4892 wrote:I believe in one and only one G'd, the G'd of Abraham.

Whatever anyone else believes in or does not believe in is their business.

That's all I have to say.

triplemultiplex wrote:^^

Wow, that's just as asinine as Muslims getting offended by pictures of Muhammad.

Huh????

I am not asking you to believe in the G'd of Abraham, and I am sure that the Muslims are not asking you to believe in the G'd of Abraham. As for your opinion of "asinine," that is not what this thread is for. It is about all things religion, NOT name calling.

To paraphrase myself: Believe what you want. I can't really believe you are using this thread to name-call, Triplemultiplex. But I do have a question for you:

In your signature, you post a highway sign, with YOUR caption of: "You read it! You can't unread it!"

Well, I read it. It's just a highway sign. You must be putting some meaning into the sign that I don't see. I can "unread it" because it is just one of the millions of highway signs on highways all over the world. The sign appears to suggest that the motorist is driving NORTH, and now has his/her choice of going West to Madison, continue NORTH to Green Bay, or EAST to the Triplemultiplex. What's your point?
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Let's not let this turn into a flame war, this is for discussion and debate, and it must not leave this thread.

Frosty: Yes, I am a "strong Atheist" when it comes to certain gods, as I have a book to examine and point out the flaws, but when it comes to other gods, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know for sure, no matter how improbable.

And yes, I know about the magic tea pot and the FSM. :wink:

(That's why I say I'm an Atheist and not Agnostic.)
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 pm

I'll just speak on what has happened to me...

I am 21 years old. I have a lot of mental issues always have.

I lot of bad has happened to me and my family over the past few years.

I've always had a fascination with "religion" and I always had that belief "anything is possible" and if I believed in anything it was probably God. Guess you can call that "agnostic"

My older sister is completely agnostic and my younger sister is an aithest. I pray for them everyday.

Onto the rest of the story.....

I was raised Catholic but never really went to Church. I found it boring. Then I started again after a tragity a few years ago that I won't go into. Rest assured, it helped me through it.

Starting that December and the year after, I was still going to Church but probably the worse thing to happen so far came crashing down on me and my family. Mentally, I became a wreck but I continued going to Church.

After praying and praying we were slowly able to go settle it. But I ended up stopping going to Church because of my issues mentally while there.

Driving south into Illinois one day I came across this radio station in Sugar Grove, IL that was an affilate of a Christian music network called "Air 1" that I have known about for years, but never really heard. While parked in the gas station waiting I made a tape of it with the volume down. When I got home I listened to the tape and through the music there was something I felt, so I started listening to that station online from their website.

The radio network takes no political affiliation or religious affiliation because they believe as I do that it gets in the way with their calling and for that matter the truth.

Listening to them online helped me understand myself and God a lot more. I called a phone number and said a prayer officially "asking God into my life" Since then I've been praying on a daily basis. There are still troubles going on but I've learned thats with everything. And a lot of miracles have happened over this past year alone to us that really state the obvious for me anyway. The obvious:

1. God is real.
2. God is love.
3. God forgives.
4. God loves everybody.
5. Prayer is essential

Other things I've learned, you don't have to be a right winger, a church going religious fanatic or anything to get to know God. Through prayer mostly, you can have a relationship with God, get to know him, get to understand him, learn that he understands you, cars, and you will slowly start to notice change within yourself and your life that is far from bad. Small or major.

To any aithest out there, I'm not being a religious fanatic trying to push religion on you as a lot of aithests often complain about. I am asking you to simply give it a try. Pray. Ask God to come into your life maybe. Its simple. To quote Mat Kearney "Here we go, there's nothing left to lose" If the bible is a problem for you, don't worry about it. It wasn't written in a language our generation can understand. Skip over that for not and just talk to God.

If not any of that, give Air 1 a listen. They're on FM in many cities across the country and they stream at their website air1.com Countless stories have been sent into the station from listeners and their familes of how it has helped them in some way. Not everything, just "certain songs"

Give it a shot, be patient. If you don't like it then whatever.

Thats all.
Stan and Kyle :)
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:54 pm

BigCamera4892 wrote:I am not asking you to believe in the G'd of Abraham, and I am sure that the Muslims are not asking you to believe in the G'd of Abraham. As for your opinion of "asinine," that is not what this thread is for. It is about all things religion, NOT name calling.

To paraphrase myself: Believe what you want. I can't really believe you are using this thread to name-call, Triplemultiplex. But I do have a question for you:

In your signature, you post a highway sign, with YOUR caption of: "You read it! You can't unread it!"

Well, I read it. It's just a highway sign. You must be putting some meaning into the sign that I don't see. I can "unread it" because it is just one of the millions of highway signs on highways all over the world. The sign appears to suggest that the motorist is driving NORTH, and now has his/her choice of going West to Madison, continue NORTH to Green Bay, or EAST to the Triplemultiplex. What's your point?

No, no, the part about not being able to say/write the name of God. I'm saying that's just like that thing Muslims have with pictures of Muhammad. Should've quoted that specific part of your post; my bad.

And the quote in my Sig is supposed to refer to the content of whatever I've posted, not the picture in my Sig.

Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 pm

"Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of deities, ghosts, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently impossible to prove or disprove. It is often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism."

That's basically where I stand; we don't know everything there is to know about reality, so there's no way to be certain that there's no god. The only problem I have with religion is when its practice oversteps certain boundaries, such as the imposing of beliefs on people outside the faith.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Thanks, TripleMultiplex. I understand now (re: your sig)

We're cool :D

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”