Religion. Keep on topic, argue through PMs.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Frosty_D

Re: Religion. Keep on topic, argue through PMs.

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:30 pm

^couldn't it be coincidence though? I mean....people move all the time.
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:
Pip Tweek wrote:^^ This might sound like a stupid or provocative question (it's not meant to be) but what benefit do you derive from practicing magick?

Well that depends on who you are talking to..Some people feel it gives them a sense of empowerment, like it makes them feel like they are in control of their lives and not at the mercy of other people or forces, they can work spells and use visulizations to create the changes they want in their lives. Some pagans ( like people who practice the Norse or Celtic traditions) feel it helps them connect to their the culture their ancestors were a part of. Many people also practice magick to solve problems in their lives that they can't easy solve on their own. Like eight years back there was this creepy guy who was sexually harrassing me, not at a job, he was a friend of the rest of my friends and no one really believed he was as bad as he was. And because he and I rode the bus for transportation it was hard to avoid him. He made me uncomfortable enough that I worked a spell to get him away from me, and he soon ended up moving out of state. He hasn't been around me since. There are other things I could bring up to, but it is kind of personal.

That guy who calls himself Puzuzu, does his site have a lot of information that has to do with Voo Doo? I might have seen it before online. I got interested in magick for a lot of reasons. I was always interested in mythology since I was a child, and when I got older I also got into horror movies and started listening to rock.There are alot of things related to magick or the paranormal that get talked about in both those media. Ozzy Osbourne and Led Zepplin also had an interest in Aleister Crowley. And the thing that really got me interested in tarot cards and divination was Wes Craven's movie The People Under The Stairs. If you haven't seen that movie, it opens with the main character getting a tarot reading from his older sister.I saw that, and I thought it was interesting, and I wanted some cards of my own. I finally got a deck of tarot cards when I was 15 and they were the Rider Deck, the same deck that I saw in the movie. And that was awesome, except it took awhile for me to learn how to read them. And then when I was 15 and 16, I started meeting people who had some knowledge on the subject of magick, and I found Silver Raven Wolf's book " To Ride A Silver Broomstick" in the library, and learned some thing from it. And since then, I have met many people who are also pagan or practice withcraft and I have learned alot of stuff from reading up on different magick traditions.

That is pretty awesome, and i already knew ozzy and zeppelin liked crowley, i am a huge metalhead. I just mentioned bruce dickinson because he not only has songs about him, but a movie as well. And the website does not have alot on voodoo. It has basically everything but black magic (that was removed due to people abusing it). here is a link if you want to see what it has. It has an even balance of high magick and witchcraft on it.

http://spellsandmagic.com/page2.html

it seems like you practice only witchcraft because you are pagan, this website also has a lot of high magick as well. I practice both.
"Time is a thing we must accept.
The unexpected I sometimes fear.
Just when I feel there's no excuse
for what happens, things fall into place.
I know there is no way to avoid
the pain that we must go through,
to find the other half that is true"
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 pm

See, this is nice. Atheists and other religions getting into a healthy debate with no arguing. :)
(Didn't think it was possible, especially in Stickam's "Debate Faith" rooms... Usually they just sit in there and wait for a Theist to come in and they pounce on him. At least here we can get along.)

(I changed it to religion for a broader topic. I made it mostly for Atheism to be explained more clearly, but it is clear that this is much better.)
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

I can't speak for everyone, but for me and alot of people I know, when we start out practicing magick, and something works we think it might be concidence. I mean, in this culture, you fed things your whole life about how Christianity is the only true religion, and stuff about how anything that can't be explained with science is just superstition. So most of the people I know who are to be taken seriously have had some doubts, but as time goes on, and you do more and more spells that actually work, and other things happen, you start to feel more confident about your beliefs. I don't really believe in concidences any more.

All I can say is the only proof someone can find that it works or not is for one to go out and practice magick themselves and see what happens.

Now as for that disgusting pig f*cker I banished back in the day, I am pretty sure I got rid of him. Because after I lit the candles I was using, something poped into my head about him being gone from the area within a month. Well that was about how long it was before he moved away. And a lot of sources say that someone's emotional state can make the spell stronger. I was scared of this guy, I was scared he would try to do more than harrass me, and he knew I didn't want him around but he wouldn't back off. And there was a rumor that he raped this underage girl who was a friend of one of my friends, she just didn't have the balls to press charges.
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 pm

my first spell was a rain spell... rain was not in the forecast, but sure enough, it started raining at the end of the day... My friend's first spell was a money spell. The next day he was given five dollars for one piece of gum from someone who didn't even like him.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:05 am

Interesting hearing about neo-paganism like this, I've always wondered if people still believed the older religions of Europe. I wonder if anyone still believes in anglo-saxon paganism?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:15 am

superiorsavior wrote:Interesting hearing about neo-paganism like this, I've always wondered if people still believed the older religions of Europe. I wonder if anyone still believes in anglo-saxon paganism?

Which older religions of Europe?
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:29 am

Well when I say 'always wondered' I'm being hyperbolic, but it's often crossed my mind as to weather people believe or practive in the same way their ancestors did the pre-christian religions of Europe (Helenic, germanic and nodric paganism, animism, etc.). There's probably some people out there, but it's strange how beliefs/practices that were once so well believed have been abandoned generally now.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Schliby

Postby Schliby » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:49 am

there are still old pagan religions like nordic paganism and celtic paganism being practiced in europe. They are actually quite popular depending on where in europe you are looking
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:13 am

Yeah there are a lot of pagans who practice the Norse traditions, and it is easy to find information on their beliefs. I have a book called The Rites of Odin. I can't remember the author's name. At one point I had a book called Norse Magic by DJ Conway. I am not sure if I still have it or not, because I still don't have a book shelf and I haven't unpacked all my books since I moved.There is a lot online you can find on Norse deities and runes and such.
jewish pride

Re: Atheism, God, and You.

Postby jewish pride » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:17 am

gtaca2005 wrote:Religion started as a means of controlling the public and is mostly based on the monetary system, the system of money.

This may be the truth or not, I have absolutely no idea, but I think religion and its significance and relevance is kind of what one makes it to be and my opinion of it depends very much on how people go about it

My real opinion on religion is that there is literally no good or bad religion, none of them is better or worse, all of the known religions have had their screw ups but at the end of the day they all agree that what is important is being a good person, which is great if you think about it.

The thing is that I think the difference between religions is not as significant as the difference within a singular religion, there are always the extremists douches in every religion, there are always the lame ones in every religion that just accept the religion his/her parents showed them without ever questioning (either to correct beliefs or reassure them) because deep down they dont give that much of a damn and just want to sleep in peace, but there are also always the good people in every religion who commits themselves to being good persons and while being strong believers of their religion they dont close their minds and are open to hearing new ideas or improving their beliefs.

I was raised catholic, my whole family and friends pretty much are catholics and I went to a catholic school too, but I left this path about 5 years ago now.

I believe in god and pray to him often, so yeah I'm religious, I believe in the importance of being a good person, I believe in a life for the soul after physical death and I believe it will be better than this life, even more so if you were indeed a good person.

So there it is, doesnt have a name but that's my religion
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:22 am

Sorry, I just wanted to test my smiley I made:

O RLY? Image

And to get back on topic:

This are serious thread! Image
Last edited by gtaca2005 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:08 am

jewish pride wrote:... end of the day they all agree that what is important is being a good person, which is great if you think about it.

But...what is a good person? What defines as good? What defines as evil? Does your actions dictate wither or not you are good/evil? What about emotions?

I believe in god and pray to him often, so yeah I'm religious, I believe in the importance of being a good person, I believe in a life for the soul after physical death and I believe it will be better than this life, even more so if you were indeed a good person.

Actually you sound like the believer in Augustine's philosophy, where a soul (also called the mind in philosophy) is not the same as the character of the person, but the person himself (but not his body).

But why do you think that there are souls? Also, what is an afterlife? (I'm not sure where Augustine stands on this one)
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:05 am

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:But...what is a good person? What defines as good? What defines as evil? Does your actions dictate wither or not you are good/evil? What about emotions?

I'm not good with definitions, I use mostly examples, sorry if this bothers you

A good person is basically someone who does good
actions
Example of this is someone who helps other in a moment of need, either by being supportive, sympathetic or actually doing something to help solve their problem
Other example of good actions is living up to your potential, not let the gifts and natural abilities that have been given to you go to waste

Evil would be the opposite of a good action
Example of this is to be apathetic to a good person's suffering or to purposely cause them harm
Other example is to be indifferent to the opportunities you've been given in life, like the possibility to have a very good education and go around just wasting it without a care

Actions of course are not all, that a person did a couple of evil actions doesnt mean they are evil, since we all of course screw up every now and then

Intentions count, if you try to help someone but you unintentionally hurt them then it wont be really evil

Emotions count, for example sometimes guilt plays a big part in how good or evil you truly are, if several people do a bad action and only one of them feels really guilty (like loosing sleep guilty) but still doesnt confess, I would think that person is a very big coward and not a great person but still not as bad as the other assh*les that sleep fine

Upbringings count, someone who grew up in a good and loving family would be more at foult for screwing up a lot in their teen years rather than someone who suffered a lot when they were a kid

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:

Actually you sound like the believer in Augustine's philosophy, where a soul (also called the mind in philosophy) is not the same as the character of the person, but the person himself (but not his body).

But why do you think that there are souls? Also, what is an afterlife? (I'm not sure where Augustine stands on this one)

I've never heard of the Augustine's philosophy, I'll check it out, I'm intrigued

A soul is pretty much everything you feel and think, its composed by inteligence and emotions, I have no idea what they would be like without a body though and wouldnt know how having a body exactly influences the soul

About the afterlife, I can't say I have my mind made up about it, but it's pretty much whatever happens to the soul once it leaves the body after what we call "death", I dont have a definite belief to where that place is or how it will be but I do believe that it will matter wether or not you were a good person

I can't say for sure that I believe in the heaven that sounds so idealistic, I have to wonder wether something like that can really exist at all, but I'm hopeful that the "afterlife" will be better than life in here
Quintuplets_Father

Postby Quintuplets_Father » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 am

Quintuplets_Father wrote:All religions (...) define the questions to the answers they offer...
Why nobody takes me serial? :lol:
and btw: i broke the dam...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”