Chanukah

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BigCamera4892

Chanukah

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:50 am

This post will be all things Chanukah. Today is December 8, 2008. Chanukah is 13 days away, Sunday December 21, 2008. Chanukah begins at sundown, at dusk late in the day on December 21. The Hebrew calendar does not go from Midnight to Midnight. It goes from sundown until sundown.

Sundown has historically been defined for purposes of the Hebrew Calendar as when at least three stars are visible in the sky.

Chanukah (The "Ch" is a gutteral sound, like a sort of gargling sound. There is really no equivalent in English). Chanukah was historically a minor festival. But in the early 20th century greeting card companies wanted to sell more cards, and discovered that Chanukah is close enough to Christmas that greeting cards should be made, and now Chanukah celebrations are a big deal. But the greeting card companies changed the spelling from the phonetic spelling from the Hebrew from "Chanukah" to the incorrect "Hannukah" i say "incorrect" as the first syllable is not "H" in Hebrew.

The 8 days of Chanukah commemorate the eights days that clean oil was used to light the temple menorah, even though clean oil for one day was the only oil that was available.

So, anyone want to continue this thread? I would be happy to give the history of Chanukah, or anything else.

Bottom line: as of this posting, it is 13 days until Chanukah!
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
M00ndragon69

Re: Chanukah

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am

BigCamera4892 wrote:This post will be all things Chanukah. Today is December 8, 2008. Chanukah is 13 days away, Sunday December 21, 2008. Chanukah begins at sundown, at dusk late in the day on December 21. The Hebrew calendar does not go from Midnight to Midnight. It goes from sundown until sundown.

Sundown has historically been defined for purposes of the Hebrew Calendar as when at least three stars are visible in the sky.

Chanukah (The "Ch" is a gutteral sound, like a sort of gargling sound. There is really no equivalent in English). Chanukah was historically a minor festival. But in the early 20th century greeting card companies wanted to sell more cards, and discovered that Chanukah is close enough to Christmas that greeting cards should be made, and now Chanukah celebrations are a big deal. But the greeting card companies changed the spelling from the phonetic spelling from the Hebrew from "Chanukah" to the incorrect "Hannukah" i say "incorrect" as the first syllable is not "H" in Hebrew.

The 8 days of Chanukah commemorate the eights days that clean oil was used to light the temple menorah, even though clean oil for one day was the only oil that was available.

My grandparents and parents never really celebrated Chanukah, until the greeting card companies started selling Chanukah greeting cards. Now we celebrate the holiday when young children are around, getting a present each of the eight days.

So, anyone want to continue this thread? I would be happy to give the history of Chanukah, or anything else.

Bottom line: as of this posting, it is 13 days until Chanukah!

So, what do you and your family do to celebrate Chanukah, besides what non Jewish people already know about how the holiday is celebrated?
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 am

8 Crazy Nights. Enough said. 8)
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:13 am

A menorah is a seven-branced candelabra. This commemorates the menorah that Moses was instructed to build by G'd. That's six candles, and one in the middle, called a "shamus" which is the main candle. But, the shamus is lit first, and then it is used to light the other candles. The candles start on the right.

The shamus is in the middle. For the first night, we light the shamus with three prayers: one is a prayer over lighting the Chanukah candles, about G'd commanding us to light the Chanukah lights, one refers to what G'd did to help the Macabees win at that time, and the third prayer is said only the first night, a prayer thaking G'd for us to reach this season.

The other two prayers are repeated each night at the candle lighting, with an extra candle added each day, from right to left.

Note: We need 72 candles to light two on the first night, three on the second night, etc. until 9 on the last night.

Also, the menorah only holds 7 candles. So we use a Chanukiah, which is a menorah that has 9 candles. It is a mistake for people to say "Chanukah Menorah." The correct item is a 9 branched Chanukiah.

The food for the evening is all fried, to commemorate the oil. So we eat Potato Pancakes (Latkes), and other fried things.

We then play "Dreidel" which is a four sided top. I won't get in to how to play the game yet. The letters on the drydel (translated into English) is: The Great Miracle That Happened There (Jerusalem). In Israel, it says: The Great Miracle That Happened Here.

Chanukah as I said is a minor holiday. Actually, just a historical observance. It is not: Christians have Chirstmas, Jews have Chanukah. But for the greeting card companies, most Jews would ignore it.

Edit: The lights from the Chanukiah are to be used to reflect on the events of Chanukah only. We can't use the light for reading or for any other purpose. That's something non-jews would not know.

And in temple, there are extra prayers that are said during Chanukah.
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 am

Here's some more info:

What is Chanukah?
Beginning on the 25th of Kislev, eight days of Chanukah are observed, during which no eulogies are delivered, nor is fasting permitted. For when the Greeks entered the Sanctuary, they defiled all the oils, and when the Hasmoneans (the Maccabees) defeated them, they searched and found only one remaining jar of oil with the seal of the Kohen Gadol (the High Priest). Although it contained only enough oil to burn for one day, a miracle occurred, and the oil burned eight days. A year later the Rabbis designated these days as Yomim Tovim (Holidays) on which praise and thanksgiving were to be said. (Tractate Shabbat 21)

The Greek's Harsh Decrees:

During the Second Temple period, the Greek kings outlawed the Jewish religion, forbade them to engage in the study of Torah and the practice of mitzvot, and ravaged and defiled all that had been ritually pure. The Hasmoneans were finally able to subdue the enemy, whereby they designated a king to rule over Israel which lasted for more than 200 years.

The Sages of that generation therefore decreed, that the eight days
beginning with the 25th of Kislev should be days of rejoicing; that Hallel (praise) be recited and that lights be lit in the entrance to their homes each of the eight nights, in order to publicize the miracle. These days were called Chanukah, that is to say Chanu Kaf-Hay (they rested on the 25th), for on the 25th, they rested from their enemies.

They made it a Yom Tov (Good Day) for praise. Thanksgiving refers to the literal recitation of Hallel (praise) and therefore, the complete Hallel is said during schararit (morning prayers) all eight days of Chanukah.
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 am

BigCamera4892 wrote:
We then play "Dreydel" which is a four sided top. I won't get in to how to play the game yet. The letters on the drydel (translated into English) is: The Great Miracle That Happened There (Jerusalem). In Israel, it says: The Great Miracle That Happened Here.

I got one of them from the Holocost musem for a dollar. You spin it around and what ever it lands on depends on your action.

Nun (right?) is when you basically pass

Hay (I don't even think these are the correct terms) is when you take half of the pot

Another one where you have to put at least one in, right?

Another one where you take the full pot and everybody puts in one piece. (that's why it takes so long)

Though I could be wrong....
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 am

I'll get into the rules tomorrow. The letters (outside of Israel) are:

Nun
Gimmel
Hay
Shin

Which spells out in Hebrew: Neys Gadol Haya Sham: The Great Miracle that happened there (Jerusalem).

In Israel, it is:

Nun
Gimmel
Hay
Po

Which spells out in Hewbrew: Nays Gadol Haya Po: The Great Miracle that happened HERE
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:50 am

^but it is tommorrow....anyways, I think I got the basic rules of the game

Nun-pass turn
Gimmel-gain pot (then everybody puts one in)
Hay-gain half pot
Shin-put one in

You all start off with the same amount of items (could be rocks or candy) and then I think you put some in the pot, but I don't really remember. (I lost the intruction sheet long time ago) Basically you play until only one person has some of the item or until you get bored of it...I think....or have a set amount of turns, but I'm not sure...BC?
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:56 am

Your basically correct on the rules.

We use Chanukah gelt (gelt = money in both Yiddish and German) or nuts or raisins.

And I can hear my Grandfather now: "Gimel, Gimel, everybody wants the Gimel."

Sometimes, we decide to give each other eight presents for the eight days of Chanukah. But rather than getting one a night for eight nights, we play dreidel, make up our own rules: We each pick a letter (the rules get complicated if there are more than four of us here), and when our letter appears from the spinning dreidel, then that person who picked that letter opens one of their presents.

btw, in Yiddish it is spelled: Dreydl
in Hebrew, it is: Sevivon
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:03 am

Okay, cool. *now wonders where that dradle went to...*

Actually...if there is more than four people, you could have it so that if someone picked the same thing as the other, have a tie breaker and they get to choose again.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:23 pm

I got rather obsesed with virtual dreidle for a while two years back (wow was it really that long? I was on this site back then!) and made my own driedle out of clay for the heck of it. It's an interesting celebration, happening as it does at different times each year.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Frosty_D

Postby Frosty_D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 pm

^And so does Easter and Thanksgiving
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Typo: 25th, not 15th day of the month of Kislev

Typos happen. Sorry
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 pm

BigCamera4892 wrote:Actually, Chanukah always happens at the same time of year: The 15th day of the month of Kislev.

Actually, it's the 25th day of Kislev.

And here's a link for Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chanukah_Song
Still the same as it ever was.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Actually, Chanukah always happens at the same time of year: The 25th day of the month of Kislev.

Easter: Always the same: The first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox, that is, the first Sunday after the first full moon after the season of Spring begins.

Thanksgiving: Always the fourth Thursday in November.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”