The Metal Thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

RideTheLightning

Re: The Metal Thread

Postby RideTheLightning » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Corna wrote:
RideTheLightning wrote:Honestly now I'm not looking forward to the new Megadeth album. I mean it might be OK but after talking to my guitar teacher about it I'm not so sure about Endgame. I mean music is supposed to go forward, not move back, so when they say, "OK, we're doing thrash metal again" it's just like dude... what the f*ck?

I've been extremely skeptical over any Megadeth album after Rust. Rust had its f*ck ups like Tornado of Souls, but most of that album was great, Marty's solos and leads are just awesome.

Did you just say Tornado of Souls was RIP's f*ck up ?
Woahhh, I actually lived to hear this.

Also, who cares about what your guitar teacher says ? Does this affect how you perceive the music ? If it's good, then it's good, you will still like it even if it's not progressing.

Yeah I'll like it but that doesn't mean it'll be good. I'm sure I'll like the new Megadeth album, but I won't respect it in terms of being written because so far from all that I've heard from that album, it's just an album where you'll buy it, then after one listen you'll just skip to the solos and then be done with it. No good vocals, lyrics, bass, drumming, just some shredding, and the solos aren't good anyway, just going ape-shit on a guitar. And if I honestly wanted a lot of shredding I'd get some sh*tty new Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwie Malmsteen crap.
ProgrammerOfDecline

Postby ProgrammerOfDecline » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:42 am

wait, RTl, what songs have you heard off the album? Only about 1/3 of the album is thrash, its actually very melodic at times, but still mean sounding. Its not perfect, but its a lot of fun to listen too. I have to admit that some of the songs seem underdeveloped, but i would say it it is definitely a step up from anything they've done in a long time, most people say it is better than CTE. Just give it a listen, the song structure isnt AS good as old megadeth, and the lyrics are pretty bad, but i would say it is technically the most consistent and well written album they've done in a while.
I'm Schliby
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:04 am

I heard Headcrusher, 1,320, 44 Minutes, and Endgame, the only track that really stuck out was Endgame, and that's just a song about The New World Order which... pfft. I mean it's not bad, but it's like Evile or Warbringer, just no reason to get it. Like why get this stuff rather than spend your money on some Rush or something? This is the album we heard 5 times from Killing to Countdown, nothing's really new or interesting.

Muse's new album has a 13 minute song split into 3 called Exogenesis Symphony, Porcupine Tree's new album is all one big song with 4 extras.

"The Incident"
I. "Occam's Razor"
II. "The Blind House"
III. "Great Expectations"
IV. "Kneel and Disconnect"
V. "Drawing the Line"
VI. "The Incident"
VII. "Your Unpleasant Family"
VIII. "The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train"
IX. "Time Flies"
X. "Degree Zero of Liberty"
XI. "Octane Twisted"
XII. "The Séance"
XIII. "Circle of Manias"
XIV. "I Drive the Hearse" in all 55:08 minutes

You know what I'm saying? We already heave Rust in Peace, we don't need a worse version of it.

And bands need to progress, the reason Marty Friedman left Megadeth after Risk is because Dave said, "OK we're going back to metal"

And they're focusing more on writing songs to make people say, "OH WOW! They're back! This song is very technical, this one is very thrashy, this one is melodic!" rather than just writing good songs.
ProgrammerOfDecline

Postby ProgrammerOfDecline » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:22 am

yeah, i know, but i still say its great in its own right, not amazing, id say an 8/10, but certainly fun too listen too,

Also, i heard about the Porcupine Tree album, sounds cool, im probably gonna give it a listen

Do you know a band called the Cherry Poppin' Daddies (crazy name)? They play Rock/Ska/Funk/Swing Jazz, yeah, their kinda strange. But amazing, i mean, funk rock is great, ska is great, and swing is amazing, so playing all of of them together is just awesome, plus their lead singer is the man. Not saying they are anything revolutionary or progressive or anything, but their original, and even though they are often considered part of the swing revival (which i love) they were more than a swing revival band.
I'm Schliby
Thunderhorse

Postby Thunderhorse » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:41 am

I haven't had a chance to hear any of the new Megadeth album, but I know i'll be picking it up on the 29th when I get the Dethalbum 2. I did the same thing last year with United Abominations and the original Dethalbum. I myself like the more recent albums by Megadeth. In fact, The System Has Failed is one of my favorite albums, and United Abominations is also really good. I also really like Tornado of Souls.
TOTAL_BRUTAL

Postby TOTAL_BRUTAL » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Hey, the new Megadeth album may not be up there with albums like Rust in Peace, but at least its no Risk. Just my opinion on what I've heard.
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:09 am

I have to say I don't really like metal anymore. I think more metal bands need to focus on writing good songs, not technical, progressive, multilayered, or meaningful "amazing" songs.

I think it'd be best to say I like all genres equally even though I might like a little more rock than anything else it's like "Are you a liberal or a conservative?" it'd just be best to say you're kind of everything.

If you really have no favorite genre or best genre you treat the genre like it is, there's no biased opinions that blind you and make you think something's better than it really is that way. And you honestly enjoy music more that way.
ProgrammerOfDecline

Postby ProgrammerOfDecline » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 am

I agree with what you just said, you have to appreciate each genre of music for what it is, and if you do that, it makes music allot more enjoyable. I love a little bit of everything, but i would say i like rock a little more then anything else, but i appreciate every genre of music for what what it is.

but i still like metal, i even like some brutal tech death wank sh*t from time to time, i mean, its fun listening to, and some bands do it good, like Origin, and while bands dont have the best song writing, they are definitely skilled at their instruments. And i even like some vader and decapitated from time to time, even some thrash. Its just fun to listen too, and i appreciate it for what it is. Although Death is still my favorite death metal band for obvious reasons.
I'm Schliby
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:38 am

Wow, I just get lost in writing stuff when it's 1 AM, long ass post coming up.

Death is a good example of a band that focuses on good song writing that also happens to be pretty technical. Whereas it's so much more forced with a band like Arsis or a lot of Dream Theater's new stuff.

I think Yngwie Malmsteen is a good example of a guitarist who's really good at his instrument but can't really write too many good songs. Most of his stuff now is playing sh*t loads of arpeggios or just going apeshit on a guitar. But his old stuff like I Am A Viking was good, it was tame, and was fast where it needed to be.

I think a perfect balance is stuff like Rush, Iron Maiden, and Pink Floyd. They have some pretty weird time signatures, pretty long strange sounding songs, but also have songs that are just straight up written well and are classics.

Also I've never really listened to nu metal before because I used to say it's not "real metal" which doesn't really mean anything. But I've checked out some of Korn's early stuff, some of SOAD's stuff, Linkin Park's old stuff. And I think it's raw, it's not technical, there's no "LOOK AT ME!" solos, etc. Even if the lines are about gay sh*t it's how they're said that matters in music. If it depended on what they say and the morals of the songs then Immortal Technique and Megadeth would be sh*tty artists because they're always singing about conspiracy theorist bullsh*t.

I mean here's a line from an old Linkin Park song about drugs, Mike is rapping this faster with more flow than most other rap songs,

It can't be frightening if you've never felt it
Once it's been dealt with you feel like you've been touched by something angelic
And then melted down into a pool of peace
Cease to be the animal you used to be
Remove the broken parts you know were wrong
And feel the karma when the problem's all gone
And then you start to see another piece of yourself that you can't let be
And that reason will last fight to free yourself
Take it to the depths of the bottom of the well
And now you know you can choose to lose the part in your heart
Where your insides bruise
You can live if you're willing to
Put a stop to just what's killing you

and from Reading My Eyes

Die for my son, cry wrongs and Krylon
Fire on, rude men telekinetically
Esoterically beats become a clarity
Feel verities, heroism, and heresy
And sever every Emcee I see with severity

and here's the album cover to the Hybrid Theory EP that was mostly hand painted by Mike,

and the other half

See what I mean? It wasn't very technical, there were no solos or 6/4 time signatures but it still was really good. It was good in a sense of being raw and kind of strange.

It's weird, you kind of start out music with some stuff like Reel Big Fish or Korn or Linkin Park, and kinda listening to some Sublime or Boston or Rush, then you change into thinking the more technical and underground stuff is, the better, but then you go back to a little bit of both, but for different reasons.

It's weird because you never know when it ends, you never know when you finally get it, I mean now I think I finally understand it all, but who knows, that's just why you have to trust people who have been where you have, that's why I follow my guitar teacher, you just have to trust some people.

Damn that was a long post.
TOTAL_BRUTAL

Postby TOTAL_BRUTAL » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Holy f*ck! Forbidden's coming out with a new record!

http://www.myspace.com/forbidden__evil

The new song "Adapt or Die" is f*cking unbelievable.
Sir Sexmuffin

Postby Sir Sexmuffin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:45 am

ProgrammerOfDecline wrote:it didnt mean to call it obscure, i just meant that a year ago, i never would have been caught dead listening to those, and i already listen to some neo psychedelia, as for anti folk, is that like dark folk? ive listened to that, and whats no wave, i know new wave, but no wave?

Anti-folk is basically folk punk, like bands sticking more to folk musically, but mixing that with DIY aesthetics, and even more politically and socially aware lyrics. So I suppose it's called anti-folk because it is in some ways contradictory to traditional folk music, but god knows where it came from. Neo-psych/ambient/minimalist or whatever you wanna call it is tops, so props. No wave came out around the same time as new wave. It really has no defining musical characteristics, but an example of a couple No Wave bands would be Teenage Jesus & The Jerks, James Chance & The Contortions, Bush Tetras, etc. It was basically done to counteract the poppy sound of the new wave, sorta like hardcore punk, but shorter lived, less widely spread (it was mainly in New York), and more avante-garde.
RideTheLightning

Postby RideTheLightning » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 am

RideTheLightning wrote:Wow, I just get lost in writing stuff when it's 1 AM, long ass post coming up.

Death is a good example of a band that focuses on good song writing that also happens to be pretty technical. Whereas it's so much more forced with a band like Arsis or a lot of Dream Theater's new stuff.

I think Yngwie Malmsteen is a good example of a guitarist who's really good at his instrument but can't really write too many good songs. Most of his stuff now is playing sh*t loads of arpeggios or just going apeshit on a guitar. But his old stuff like I Am A Viking was good, it was tame, and was fast where it needed to be.

I think a perfect balance is stuff like Rush, Iron Maiden, and Pink Floyd. They have some pretty weird time signatures, pretty long strange sounding songs, but also have songs that are just straight up written well and are classics.

Also I've never really listened to nu metal before because I used to say it's not "real metal" which doesn't really mean anything. But I've checked out some of Korn's early stuff, some of SOAD's stuff, Linkin Park's old stuff. And I think it's raw, it's not technical, there's no "LOOK AT ME!" solos, etc. Even if the lines are about gay sh*t it's how they're said that matters in music. If it depended on what they say and the morals of the songs then Immortal Technique and Megadeth would be sh*tty artists because they're always singing about conspiracy theorist bullsh*t.

I mean here's a line from an old Linkin Park song about drugs, Mike is rapping this faster with more flow than most other rap songs,

Once it's been dealt with you feel like you've been touched by something angelic

and from Reading My Eyes

and here's the album cover to the Hybrid Theory EP that was mostly hand painted by Mike,

and the other half

See what I mean? It wasn't very technical, there were no solos or 6/4 time signatures but it still was really good. It was good in a sense of being raw and kind of strange.

It's weird, you kind of start out music with some stuff like Reel Big Fish or Korn or Linkin Park, and kinda listening to some Sublime or Boston or Rush, then you change into thinking the more technical and underground stuff is, the better, but then you go back to a little bit of both, but for different reasons.

It's weird because you never know when it ends, you never know when you finally get it, I mean now I think I finally understand it all, but who knows, that's just why you have to trust people who have been where you have, that's why I follow my guitar teacher, you just have to trust some people.

Dude... shut the f*ck up.
Sir Sexmuffin

Postby Sir Sexmuffin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 pm

f*ck]u[/white]cking bump
Captain Black Beard

Postby Captain Black Beard » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:57 am

The Bands on my PC:
The bands with an asterik beside them are not Metal/Rock in my opinion

[list=]AC/DC
Adema(first album only)
Alice in Chains
Asian Kung-Fu Generation
Black Sabbath
Bloodsimple
Breaking Benjamin
Breaking point
Coal Chamber
Cold
Damageplan
Deftones
DMX*
Drowning Pool
Dynamite Hack
Eminem*
The Exies
Faktion
Five Finger Death Punch
Foo Fighters
The Fray*
Godsmack
Guns N' Roses
Hell Yeah
Insane Clown Posse(ICP)*
Korn
L'Arc~en~Ciel
Limp Bizkit*
Linkin Park
Metallica
Mudvayne
Mushroomhead
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana*
Nonpoint
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Papa Roach
Powerman 5000
Rage Against the Machine
Saul Williams*
Seether
Skindred
Slipknot
Snoop Dogg(First album only)*
SOiL
Static-X
Stone Sour
System of a Down
Taproot(First album only)
Three Days Grace
Twisted Method
Twiztid*
The Union Underground
Van Halen
Xzibit(First two albums only)*[/list]
CherrehCola

Postby CherrehCola » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:42 pm

RideTheLightning wrote:
RideTheLightning wrote:Wow, I just get lost in writing stuff when it's 1 AM, long ass post coming up.

and from Reading My Eyes

and the other half

Dude... shut the f*ck up.

Brotha...you apparently haven't heard Black Countess...

Messed up...and strangely likable.
DON'T KICK THE BABY!

~*Dream about the sun,you queen of rain.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”