Ever go through a radical change in your worldview/beliefs?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

FreedomFighterXL

Ever go through a radical change in your worldview/beliefs?

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 pm

I honestly can't remember the last time I was even on this forum. I do remember this has given me more to talk about in group discussions about crap you've done on the internet. :wink:

One thing that's been happening with me, well......

It's kind of like going through puberty or menopause in the context of what I believe philosophically and politically. I think when I first came on here a year or so ago, I was a staunch supporter of the neoconservative agenda (Bush included). But since that time I've become more and more small-government oriented, considering myself a conservatarian.

After coming to the conclusion that government cannot enforce good values any more then it can run the economic infrastructure of this nation, I became (surprise!!!) a Libertarian. Ron Paul (even though I was annoyed by his supporters at first...) became my hero.

But this isn't what's gotten me so concerned. :?

I've actually gotten to the point where I feel the need to question whether we even need a government at all. What one would call an anarcho-capitalist. :(

http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/anarchism/faq.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/hoppe/hoppe5.html

I know it seems stupid to be depressed about it, but I just never thought I would adopt a view so radically different from the mainstream. In current events discussions, I just feel kind of... different.

Which brings me to the question of this thread.

Have any of you ever gone through a complete change of opinion or perspective in a way you told yourself you could never possibly do? You figured your views would never change, and then it just happened over the course of a few months, or overnight? What's the biggest change of opinion on anything you've ever had?
gtaca2005

Re: Ever go through a radical change in your worldview/beliefs?

Postby gtaca2005 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:19 pm

I am too young to vote by ONE year, but I'm an Obama supporter. BUT without a doubt, if Obama wasn't in, I would have been a Ron Paul supporter.

Regardless of the party, Ron Paul is a STRICT Constitutionalist, and that helps me over come the political belief differences.

After some thinking about it, I came to the realization that I am a Social Libertarian, and an Economic Liberal. So I am on the opposite end of the economic scale as you, but we agree on the social issues. :wink:

(Good to see that you looked past Bush and his neo-con posse. :P :o )

Biggest change for me s that I became a Atheist.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Peyote_Ugly

Postby Peyote_Ugly » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:08 pm

peyote acid and mushrooms pretty much changed me into a tree hugging hippie overnite
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 pm

I've pretty much always been a social liberal. But my view of the United States and it's place in the world shifted quite a bit in 2001.
I grew up watching a lot of History/Discovery Channel & loved all the stuff about America kickin' ass in wars and the latest cool sh*t our military was trying out. Consequently, I was of the view that we're number one and nobody's gonna boss us around or we'll JDAM their ass. Hell, if 9/11 had happened a year earlier, I might've even been compelled to enlist.

Two things happened in 2001 that brought me down off that Amero-centric high horse. One was 9/11, the other was starting college. Learning more about the world than what was on cable got me shifting my opinions of US foreign relations.

And after the anger from 9/11 died down enough, I realized that sh*t like that doesn't just happen out of the blue. 19 guys didn't wake up one morning and decide to waste the WTC. Hell, one guy didn't even do that. Someone who has gone to that extreme has been building towards that moment for a lifetime and something has been pushing them into that extreme corner.

Once the Bush Administration started beating the war drum over Iraq with the bin Laden situation still unresolved, this realization that the world exists in shades of gray and not the black & white; good vs. evil as I had thought came into irreconcilable conflict with conservative foreign policy.

The single moment I could point to would be Bush's speech about not distinguishing between terrorists and the countries that harbor them; the birth of the Bush Doctrine. I knew it wasn't that simple and that policy was going to get us in trouble.

You read it! You can't unread it!
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:11 am

I hope that, if new evidence presented itself that I was wrong about many of the things I believe in, that I would change my views on the basis of that evidence. However, I struggle to think of anything that could lead to me changing my view that beliefs sould be based on sufficient evidence.

I've changed my views rather a lot already in relation to the evidence. Politically I used to be socio-economically right wing, then I became socially right wing/economically left wing, then I became economically right wing socially left wing, then I became socially left wing economically left wing, and I've been occilating between the last two for thelast few years. Religiously I've been a monotheist, a polytheist, a pantheist and a deist. Therefore I could probably change my beliefs, because I already have, though it'd be hard because i've already seen a lot of the evidence.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:01 am

No. Can't say as I have.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:33 am

Well, the last really radical change in my world view happened around the time when I was 15. That was when I started learning things about practicing witch craft, when I really started listening to rock, and a few months after I turned 16 I admitted to myself that I am bi. Before that, I went to a small high school and I was an outcast, but I wanted that to change. I wanted the other kids to like me, even though really some of them were not worth my time. I wasn't really interested in sports and all the things the more popular kids liked, I just wanted to draw, read Stephen King and watch cartoons and horror movies. But I didn't like being alone, having to spend lunch alone, and not really having friends over, and getting picked on for not being "normal". So I was concerned about at least trying to appear to be the kind of person the other kids would want to hang out with. In 8th grade I even got on the basketball team, but I didn't really like sports, and I wasn't even good at basketball, I was still pretty short. I just did it to fit in with the other girls and because maybe a certain guy who had no interest in me would notice me. That whole experience mostly sucked except for going to one of our away games.

And then there was all the stupid homophobia in my lame little school. I am ashamed to say I absorbed some of it when I was younger and laughed at jokes I would now probably punch someone out if I heard them telling, and at the same time in gym, I was looking at the other girls. I remember one time we were all wearing shorts and I noticed how attractive some of their legs were. I was also drawing a lot of chicks with huge tits in my spare time, and I an remember noticing the attractive women in movies more than the men. Well, things happened a few months after I turned 15, I met new people, a couple of them were gay and became their friend, and I just started realizing I shouldn't give a f*ck about what the kids at my school thought, and I should figure out who the f*ck I was instead of trying to fit in. And after a few months I started realizing I had a crush on one of my friends who was a girl but lived out of town from me. Unfortunately, she also lived in a red neck town and she agreed with all the stupid sh*t people in her town believed about gay people, so I could never really tell her that I liked her that way. That kind of sucked but it is probably just as well, because when we were 18, she got way too into partying and got pregnant then dumped her kid on her parents. I don't want a girl like that.

As far as the stuff with witchcraft, well before things happened that got me interested in that, I didn't know what I believed. In grade school I always thought mythology was cool, but I didn't know people still believed in the old Gods..Everything I read back then said that it was just a myth that people abandoned. From what I was exposed to before age 15, it seemed that the only options I really heard of were being a Christian or an atheist, or maybe a Buddhist. Of course I had the ideas that there was only one true God and also the ideas that nothing that couldn't be proven with science was real. Mostly because of what I learned from a friend's crazy religious mother and from what I learned in science class. Those ideas about reality never really appealed to me. The Christian god sounded like an assh*le, especially when I looked at how sh*tty my friend's life was despite how religous her family was. And I mean it was sh*tty, they were poor, her younger brother got killed in a car accident, and there was abuse in the family. I actually saw my friend's mother hit her sister one time because she thought her daughter was borrowing her lipstick and lied about it.That was f*cking scary.. But I didn't like the point of view that there was nothing supernatural in the world, and no afterlife, and such. But those were the only points of view I was exposed to, until I started meeting new people outside my stupid little town and I started being exposed to new ideas.

Maybe this is the whole thing about finding yourself when you are that age. The last few years though, most changes I have had in my attitudes and such have been slow and gradual. Not over night. Just the result of thinking about things or listiening to different points of view.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:49 pm

For me it was when I abondoned the Republican party, which was how I was raised, for the Libertarian Party.

I was always let down by both parties due to the fact that neither party fully captured my beliefs.

I am fiscally conservative and believe in a free market (within reason of course. I do believe that these CEOs should be monitored and prosecuted very harshly if necessary) but also don't like the government involved in peoples person life including barring gay marriage, seat belt laws, sodomy laws etc.

Basically small govvernment all around.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:54 pm

Nope, can't say I have. I generally believe now what I believed many years ago, and the changes have been gradual. People who have undergone radical shifts usually did not have the information, or at least all of it. I've had pretty much all the information in the world at my fingertips for a while, so it enabled me to unergo gradual shifts and little more.
That's how it's down here on the farm!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”