RELIGION - what? LET'S UNITE AGAINST SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES!

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

JohnHorn

Re: RELIGION - Puttin' faith aside, gettin' down to morals

Postby JohnHorn » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:29 pm

I think honestly yes being skeptical and so forth good but honestly except for a rather ad absurdom god, the true absurdom of god is that it is used vaguely even to mean things not associated or related to a definition of god.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Moon: Do you oppose a person who has an inheritable disorder to have kids, and the trait is passed down?

And as I said earlier, beliefs are not the person. You can respect a person without respecting their beliefs. As a whole, I don't really like Christianity, I think the church has gone too far into people's lives and possibly warping them, but that doesn't mean I go out of my way and attack every Christian I know.

I don't see why we can attack something like abortion but when it comes to religion every body is like "oh noez religion, respeck it." That maybe a bit harsh, but that's how I feel.

And it seems like you're doing a lot of sales pitches yourself moon :P.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:21 pm

I’m not sure what to decide But honestly I think this argument is unhelpful
kelly I think has a good point though……,
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:26 am

That is really too vague a question Kelly. It really depends what the disorder is, what the actual risks are of someone passing it on to their children, and probably a few other things I can't think of right now. Lets face it, some people are very selfish about wanting to have kids. Look at that Octomom bitch. She might have set up her kids for a bunch of health problems. And some people are selfish about wanting a baby in different ways. I know someone who is about to bring a child into a very sh*tty family situation. That is all I can say about that situation. My personal feelings are that if you are going to have kids, you need to protect them and provide a decent family environment for them. That is one reason why I don't have kids, right now I couldn't support them by myself. I am not even sure I could support a dog or cat with my bills and the 200 dollar pet deposit at my apartment.

Now as for what you said about me making sale pitches, I have said over and over that Pagans do not push their religious beliefs on other people. If Schibly is gone ( which does suck because he was nice) and I am still the only person on here with anything close to my beliefs, that is ok with me. But everyone else on this f*cking thread is allowed to stand up for their beliefs, so there is not going to be a double standard for me. Kelly, if you are allowed to say when you don't agree with something someone says on this thread, it works both ways.

I am not saying people have to believe like me. But I am saying I do not like seeing people being assh*les to eachother over these beliefs. Isn't that the main thing atheists say they care about? They don't like seeing people being mistreated over religion? I don't know, I see your posts Kelly, and I see a lot of anger. You seem pissed at me for sugesting that people leave people alone to believe as they wish if they are not bothering you. Well you know where that opinion of mine comes from? Not from the internet, not from some book, but from my life. From being out in the world, in college, at three different jobs, with a few different circles of friends, and meeting many very different people. And from actually sitting and listening to things they have to say, instead of just waiting for my turn to talk. People have many reasons for believing the way they do, and no one, no matter what they believe is perfect, and life isn't just black and white. In internet debates, the world might seem black and white, but that isn't the real world. Seriously are you really happy analyzing everything everyone says on here about their beliefs and attempting to rip them to shreds? You say you respect the person even if you disrespect their beliefs, well what is an example of how you treat people with different beliefs than yourself when the subject of religion comes up? Do you say things that are kind of backhanded like certain people I know do, or do you actually think about those people's feelings?

No, I am not making any sales pitches..More like calling people on their own bullsh*t.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 pm

But everyone else on this f*cking thread is allowed to stand up for their beliefs, so there is not going to be a double standard for me. Kelly, if you are allowed to say when you don't agree with something someone says on this thread, it works both ways.
I do realize this. I was partly joking, hence the ":P" thingy.

I am not saying people have to believe like me. But I am saying I do not like seeing people being assh*les to eachother over these beliefs. Isn't that the main thing atheists say they care about? They don't like seeing people being mistreated over religion? I don't know, I see your posts Kelly, and I see a lot of anger. You seem pissed at me for sugesting that people leave people alone to believe as they wish if they are not bothering you.
I don't get pissed that easily. I was just merely pointing out that beliefs aren't everything. EDIT: And if I were, I think it was because I viewed your post as trying to shut him up, and I don't really like it...

You say you respect the person even if you disrespect their beliefs, well what is an example of how you treat people with different beliefs than yourself when the subject of religion comes up? Do you say things that are kind of backhanded like certain people I know do, or do you actually think about those people's feelings?
If it was someone I barely know, I try to be inoffensive as I can or say nothing at all. If it has to do with family, I'd be quiet. I'm less vocal about my beliefs in the real world because it doesn't come up often or I don't want something to happen (though it's kinda hard not being offensive if the person you are talking to you thinks that saying "nothing is perfect" is offensive). All the debates against religion I had was either in philosophy class or by accident. I do not insult people for their beliefs, even if I think their beliefs are a bit off.

I think I'm starting to hate the main religions. Especially the people who harm others just because the aren't in the right religion and think that their god made them do it...
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
FlyingTBow

Postby FlyingTBow » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Basically, almost all religions and sets of beliefs come down to this

Don't kill
Don't rape
Don't steal

(almost) Generally, be a good person and don't be a random dick. If everyone could follow that, regardless of religion or faith (if any), this world would be a hell of a lot better. I'm not religious myself but I can still follow these basic guidelines so I believe it shouldn't be too hard for anyone else.
Just when I think I'm done saying, "Dammit,"...
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 pm

FlyingTBow wrote:Basically, almost all religions and sets of beliefs come down to this

Don't kill
Don't rape
Don't steal

(almost) Generally, be a good person and don't be a random dick. If everyone could follow that, regardless of religion or faith (if any), this world would be a hell of a lot better. I'm not religious myself but I can still follow these basic guidelines so I believe it shouldn't be too hard for anyone else.

You can live those three don't's without any religion too. You can also honor your parents this way, and set aside a day of the week for your own sabbath.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
FlyingTBow

Postby FlyingTBow » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Exactly. There's no point in being a jerk solely on "my god can kick your god's ass". To each his own. Isn't that what religion preaches, anyway? Treat and accept others as you, yourself, wish to be treated and accepted.
Just when I think I'm done saying, "Dammit,"...
mig...

Postby mig... » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Exactly. There's no point in being a jerk solely on "my god can kick your god's ass". To each his own. Isn't that what religion preaches, anyway?

I wish that could be true. But i can give you the example of Islam:
"There's only Allah and Mohamed is it's only profet".
Equation

Postby Equation » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:52 am

mig... wrote:
Exactly. There's no point in being a jerk solely on "my god can kick your god's ass". To each his own. Isn't that what religion preaches, anyway?

I wish that could be true. But i can give you the example of Islam:
"There's only Allah and Mohamed is it's only profet".

I understood Islam to consider others in addition to Mohammed to be profits such as Jesus and Moses. And of course Abraham and Ishmael.
TOTAL_BRUTAL

Postby TOTAL_BRUTAL » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Yes, in a broader sense, Islam does accept Jesus, Moses, and Abraham as prophets, but does not hold them in as high regard as they do Mohammed. They do not believe Jesus was the son of God, but they do believe he was a "servant" of God, as were Moses and Abraham.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Sorry, but this sh*t gets my blood boiling...

George Bush Sr. interview:
Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

Feels so much better to have this:

Barack Obama:
I believe in evolution, scientific inquiry, and global warming; I believe in free speech, whether politically correct or politically incorrect, and I am suspicious of using government to impose anybody’s religious beliefs — including my own — on nonbelievers.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:52 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:Big Camera, I was wondering about what you said about gender not being mentioned when talking about God, and that God was just presumed to be male. Do you know how that started and when?

Well I don't really know how this was started or when. I did find this on the internet, but you know how the accuracy levels are on random pages.

As for me, I understand that the God of the Bible is more of a spirit, an entity, then a male with anatomically correct male parts, or a female with a female's corresponding anatomy.

I think that historically men for the most part felt superior to women (look how long it took for women to get the vote in this country), and as the belief is that God made man in his image, that God must be a man.

But nowhere do I see in the Bible a citation that God is a man. In fact, in looking up the word: woman, I see that it comes from (in different books I looked in) the wife of man. And indeed, in Genesis, at the beginning of the book, God put Adam (man) in a deep sleep, took a rib, and made woman; from man God made woman. So on that analogy man is the image of God, and woman is from man, hence God is a man.

As this higher power, God, is not defined anywhere that I can find as exclusively male, I feel that God could be a female. That is why when I refer to God I refer to that beautiful woman in the sky. Why "beautiful"? Because as God what else could she be? My point: I find nowhere that God has historically been defined as a man, yet God is commonly referred to as a male. And that is precisely why I reject the common usage, and I use the feminine form when describing God.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 pm

marline and emil = FAIL! :lol:
Still the same as it ever was.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:26 am

Welcome Marline and Emily, you guys seem nice.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”