RELIGION - what? LET'S UNITE AGAINST SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES!

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Kelly MacCornmac

Re: RELIGION THREAD

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Although society is getting better, there is still discrimination against Agnostics/Atheists in the US.

In the University of Michigan 2000 people were surveyed. 47.6 percent would disapprove that their children would marry an atheist. 33.5 percent would disapprove if their children would marry Muslims, 27.2 for African Americans, and even less for Hispanics, Jews, and Christians.

When asked which groups didn’t share their vision of the American Society, 39.5 percent said Atheists, 26.3 percent said Muslims, 22.6 for Homosexuals, and even less with Hispanics, Jews, Asians, and African Americans.

There are laws to prevent people like me from getting a car on Sunday just because I happen to live in Indiana or some other state in which it is illegal.

In the Tennessee constitution “No person that denies the being of God or a future state of awards and punishments shall hold any office in the civil department of this state. Or in the Arkansas constitution “no person who denies of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this state, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.” It seems rather unfair for me not to be allowed to be a witness in Arkansas, for that goes against my right of freedom of religion and my freedom of speech.

Bush once said, “No I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens nor should they be considered as citizens nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.”

As Steven Roberts once said "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-----------------------------------
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
big kenny

Postby big kenny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 pm

whoa,thats....deep,really deep
BigKenny
kenny is cool
my mind is an enigma......i like cola!
i hate racists
iz undr yur bed steelin yur sox
my profile
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Although society is getting better, there is still discrimination against Agnostics/Atheists in the US

Well that's one reason I kinda forgot about (thankfull that he lives in secular england)
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:26 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote: Ok there is something I want to ask the atheists. This question might make people mad, so fair warning. Ok. I don't have anything against atheists, one of my friends somewhat leans that way, I think alot because she had relgion forced down her throat at an early age..But she doesn't try to tell people their beliefs are wrong or argue with them. She just lives her life, does the things that make her happy, and tries to make the people she cares about happy. My issue is I don't see people on here doing that. I kind of see people picking at everything someone says that relates to religion and my my case any kind of belief in the supernatural..My question is why? And if someone has any kind of religious belief or belief in the supernatural, but they don't go pushing it on people, would you still try to change their minds?

To me, belief in some kind of supernatural deity, or whatever, is a sign of intellectual laziness. To throw one's hands up when one doesn't know how something works or why things are the way they are and just say, "God did it" or "God has a plan..." is a way to absolve responsibility and suppress curiosity about the universe we inhabit. It is my opinion that religions and belief in superstitious woo is holding back the advancement of our species. This is the kind of stuff we have to move beyond in order to make the kind of progress which will improve the lives of all humans.

So when I call out a user on here about this stuff, it's my desire to hopefully give them a little push in the direction of reason and have them, at some future point, take a look at what they believe and why they believe it. It's not that I'm hoping to change any minds, but I would just like to 'plant a seed' as they say. And maybe someday, such a person will look into it themselves and then, whatever...

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:As Steven Roberts once said "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Great quote.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 am

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:Although society is getting better, there is still discrimination against Agnostics/Atheists in the US.

In the University of Michigan 2000 people were surveyed. 47.6 percent would disapprove that their children would marry an atheist. 33.5 percent would disapprove if their children would marry Muslims, 27.2 for African Americans, and even less for Hispanics, Jews, and Christians.

When asked which groups didn’t share their vision of the American Society, 39.5 percent said Atheists, 26.3 percent said Muslims, 22.6 for Homosexuals, and even less with Hispanics, Jews, Asians, and African Americans.

There are laws to prevent people like me from getting a car on Sunday just because I happen to live in Indiana or some other state in which it is illegal.

In the Tennessee constitution “No person that denies the being of God or a future state of awards and punishments shall hold any office in the civil department of this state. Or in the Arkansas constitution “no person who denies of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this state, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.” It seems rather unfair for me not to be allowed to be a witness in Arkansas, for that goes against my right of freedom of religion and my freedom of speech.

Bush once said, “No I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens nor should they be considered as citizens nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.”

As Steven Roberts once said "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-----------------------------------

I can't believe that! I already knew Bush sucked, but what did atheists do to Tennesee? If I'm denied any job because I'm atheist, I'll sue. I'll really raise hell. Same thing if I'm denied goods or services because of it. And I'll marry whoever the hell I want. That was really cool, Kmac. You and Triple both made cool posts. :D Christians who warn me "you'll go to hell" piss me off. If I'm an atheist, why would I believe in hell? The whole god theory is actually pretty far-fetched, if you ask me. If you think logically, it doesn't make sense. How would all these magical things happen? No offense, but I don't get how you could believe that. (is shot)
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:44 pm

I do believe in Jesus/God and I go to church even though I find it boring and I'm Christian.
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:37 pm

Wii fit man wrote:I can't believe that! I already knew Bush sucked, but what did atheists do to Tennesee? If I'm denied any job because I'm atheist, I'll sue. I'll really raise hell.

It's not only Tennessee either. Arkansas won't allow you to be a witness. There are similar laws in Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. [url=http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/StateConstitutions.htm]Here are the state laws directly against atheists/agnostics.

There isn't a sepreation of church and state, there are still laws to prevent me from buying liquor on Sunday in many states if I was legal age. There are still laws to prevent me from buying a car on Sunday and I would have to buy a car in Kentucky or a neighboring state to do so (Kentucky is closer). All due to the church.

Also, there are times for reflection in schools. Teachers can use this to their advantage. In my high school, during big events such as graduation, students are the ones that pray because if the teachers do it, it is supposedly forced, but yet it is still forced upon me. The principle check on what is going to be prayed, so if I wrote something to pray for, I would more than likely have to put down god instead of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If I have done so, then I would have went back and said Flying Spaghetti Monster. But they chose somebody else to do the prayer. Also, they don't put other religions on the prayer, is that not discrimination?

The origninal pledge of allegence didn't have "under god" in it, but it does now, if I remember the date it was changed I would put it here. I guess this is why Bush said "this is one nation under god". It causes discrimination against Atheists and Agnostics and it forces your religon upon other Atheists/Agnostics and me. True, you can sit down and not speak it if you want, but students might pick on you if you do sit down. And it doesn't prevent you from hearing it. My mom thinks it is disrespectable for me to not say the pledge during 4-H meetings, even though it's within my rights not to say it. The "one nation under god" in dollar bills and money doesn't annoy me as much because I tend not to look at it.

Discrimination against Atheist Video

Part 2 of the Video :x

Against Darwin at first, but then there is the round table again, though not as bad as the first.

SPU! Join it!
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Well, our country was founded of freedom of Religion....

I do wish more people beleived in god. It is sad that there are more athiests these days. However, it should be your choice, and something that is not ridiculed.

I wish people would stop picking on Scientology. Again, it is their choice....not yours.

But then again, I am Roman Catholic and according to our religion, if you don't believe in some sort of religion that is considered efficent, then you will certiantly go to hell :(

I really do hate all the religious rules sometimes, but it was what I was brought up to believe. I again just hope that most people have some sort of fate...but even those who believe in no faith should not be pushed aside.
"Where I go, Destruction will follow"

I am a hybrid of Butters, Tweek, and Clyde.

Official Winner of Page 1900!
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Sorry for the DP.....but WOH!!!

Kmac, again this country was founded under god. I know it causes some worry about the words in our pledge, but what did President Obama say when he took the oath....

"So help me God!"

What do they say when they end their speeches....

"God Bless America!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why God is so important to our country...because of our importance of freedom of religion. However, it does not give people the right to go around and change things that have been said for generations just because you are athiests.

Jesus Crist is a real person. Even jewish people know that! God might be a diffrent story but many people who lived long before us are upset that we cannot see the truth about people's faith. I am not saying by any means that people should believe in god, however, it iis not fair for a select few to ruin what our counrty was truly founded on.

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Michaeloptv wrote:This is why God is so important to our country...because of our importance of freedom of religion. However, it does not give people the right to go around and change things that have been said for generations just because you are atheists.

Is this a reference to the "under God" line of the Pledge of Allegiance? Because that line was added in the 1950's amid anti-communist fervor .

It is because this country is supposed to separate the institutions of church and state that stuff like this sticks in our craw. Just because something's been around for a long time, doesn't necessarily mean it's something that cannot be changed.

And for the record, the "so help me God" part of the oath of office is not part of the US Constitution. Neither is the use of a Bible to place one's hand on. Article 2, Section 1 states:
Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Michaeloptv wrote:I am not saying by any means that people should believe in god, however, it is not fair for a select few to ruin what our country was truly founded on.

Trivia question: What's a three-letter word that does not appear in the Constitution of the United States?
A: God.

I love it when someone tries to argue that those in the majority are somehow being victimized by a minority.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm

^thank you triple

Michaeloptv wrote:Sorry for the DP.....but WOH!!!

Kmac, again this country was founded under god. I know it causes some worry about the words in our pledge.

No it was not. There were some founding fathers that were not religious at all.

Founding fathers

And the constitution said nothing about god or anything.

but what did President Obama say when he took the oath....

"So help me God!"

What do they say when they end their speeches....

"God Bless America!!"

That doesn't prove anything, it was his choose after all. Anyway, Americans are not likely to vote for an Atheist as a president because and Atheist doesn't believe in god.

This is why God is so important to our country...because of our importance of freedom of religion.
This does not prove the importance of god for this nation.

However, it does not give people the right to go around and change things that have been said for generations just because you are athiests.
What? The law to change what the oath for the flag changed in 1954. To "under god". I know it doesn't give me the right to change it.

Jesus Crist is a real person.

I didn't say he was not. He might be real, but the stories around him are more than likely false.

I am not saying by any means that people should believe in god, however, it iis not fair for a select few to ruin what our counrty was truly founded on.
Our country was not founded upon Christianity. Our country was based that all men were created equal. Not women, and many say that African Americans were not men, and yet a select few ruined that, do you call this a bad thing?

SPU! Join it!
GlittersBlings

Postby GlittersBlings » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:58 pm

I laways believe in Jesus Christ :)
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:

I didn't say he was not. He might be real, but the stories around him are more than likely false.

I am not saying by any means that people should believe in god, however, it iis not fair for a select few to ruin what our counrty was truly founded on.
Our country was not founded upon Christianity. Our country was based that all men were created equal. Not women, and many say that African Americans were not men, and yet a select few ruined that, do you call this a bad thing?

First off, I agree, Kmac. If jesus existed he was just a good person. Second, I'm not even gonna go into what you said about women or African-Americans, Michaelpotv. And lastly, Atheists are not "ruining the country". It's people who undermine other people's beliefs that are. Just because we don't believe in god doesn't mean we're ruining anything. In fact, there was almost no christianity in the U.S for a long time. Besides, atheism is really making people think. I'm sorry you don't like thinking.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
JohnHorn

Postby JohnHorn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:37 pm

eh what about the implementation of rights? I find this all very weird personally.
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 am

Post subject: Re: RELIGION THREAD Reply with quote
Kelly MacCornmac wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

First off, I agree, Kmac. If jesus existed he was just a good person. Second, I'm not even gonna go into what you said about women or African-Americans, Michaelpotv. And lastly, Atheists are not "ruining the country". It's people who undermine other people's beliefs that are. Just because we don't believe in god doesn't mean we're ruining anything. In fact, there was almost no christianity in the U.S for a long time. Besides, atheism is really making people think. I'm sorry you don't like thinking.

First off, I never said anything about women or African Americans...Idk who said that so don't blame that on me!! :x

Secondly, I am well aware of the flag change in 1954. I am also well aware of the constution. It has been a tradition that is why the "so help me god" has gone on since George Washington. Our currency has the words "in god we trust". Yes, not everyone was religious at the time...and still aren't today. I understand that. However, if you look at the Declaration of Independence: IT DOES state god in the document :shock:

Your right Kmac: Our country was founded on Cristianity, but also religious freedom...as well as the fact that all men are created equal. We wanted to get away from the common laws of England and how they mistreated us at the time.

....I'm done. I cannot argue over this too much or my mind will go nuts!! :P

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”